ReefCleaners.org

Bubbles and a cycling question

jojabis

My water level goes down about 1 cm everyday so I put back in 1 lt of ro water to top it off. HOwever while the level is low the water from the fuge makes bubbles which end up collecting under the output of the fuge. Now with my FW tanks bubbles concern me because they can mean your water is funky do I need to be concerned?

Also I have tested the water everyday and still have no detectable anything, is my rock doing it all? I have a raw shrimp here I can throw in should I?

Oh one more q: do I need to feed my feather dusters?

Hi, I'm just a newbie, but from what I've read, I'd say a protein skimmer would probably fix the bubble problem. The bubbles are probably just being created by the live rock and other life in your tank...although I'm not 100% sure.

Just wondering why you have a duster and crab in the tank if cycling? Where did you get your live rock? Does it look alive? What params are you testing? What is your SG?

Originally posted by cornstar

Just wondering why you have a duster and crab in the tank if cycling? Where did you get your live rock? Does it look alive? What params are you testing? What is your SG?

Dusters where hitchhikers

the crabs I put in because I had read somewhere that it was good to have you maint crew in early.

LR: 2 came from the lfs about 5#s worth it was cured and from thier tanks it included 2 sea urchins and 2 feather dusters

the rest came from the reef where the lfs owner told me to go, same with the sand. As far as I can tell it look alive it's full of little brittle stars and is covered in pink/purple coraline.

pH, NH3, NO2, NO3

SG = 1.024

Sounds alive to me, just give it some time. How big is the duster, i have a small hitchhiker duster too. They are filter feeders, if they are small the do not require feeding, saying this, i feed my fish twice a day so there is plenty of food wastes in the tank. Ammonia spike may take a little longer.

Cheers

P.

Archived