Pod Your Reef

Lighting Question

XtremeSport

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Well I started building the hood and I recieved the bright 2x36 light kit from AH Supply what bulbs should I get?

How is this 1 36w Actnic

and 1 36w daylight (6400, 6700, or 10,000??????)

I dont know which one?

Thanks

Jay

I'd go with either the 6700K or the 10000K. Personally, I like the crisp,white look of the 10000K best. Some animals, though, prefer the lower-spectrum lighting that replicates shallow water lighting in nature. Namely, these critters of concern are rock-nesting clams and shallow-water anemones (like colonial BTAs).

In the opposite vein, deeper-water corals, like most LPS, naturally receive light more like a 10000K bulb produces. However, they seem to have little problem with cooler color temperatuer bulbs (like 6500K or 67000K). Whereas those more demanding shallow-water animals do thrive noticibly better under the proper lighting.

So it's up to you. If I weren't concerned about keeping those demanding shallow-water animals, I'd personally go with 10000K, because I find it much more pleasing to look at.

I mentioned this one time before, but I think it's worth repeating here. And again, some of you are going to hate me for this...

I think that the combination of 50%actinic/50%10K is too blue (for my taste, anyway). I am much happier, in a 2-bulb system, with one 6500K bulb and one 50%actinic/50%10K "combo" bulb. This gives a nice white light, with actinic tones too... and the combination of three different spectrums may be advantageous with some organisms.

Archived