Coral Vue Hydros

Best equipment I ever bought, most bang for the buck. (positive equipment reviews) feel free to post your own.

MLS_Reef

You see a lot of people burn out in this hobby. If you are not careful it's a constant money pit, you can spend and spend trying new things. 

Of everything I have ever spent money on in reef keeping I think one piece of equipment outshines everything I have ever bought or used.

I have had it for 14 years. 

It has never failed.

It is super low maintenance /low cost, a bit of distilled water and a battery every 5 years.

It is accurate and it can be used over and over and over again. 

It is the Milwaukee Ma887 Seawater refractometer with automatic temperature calibration.  It's a best investment winner for me.

PSX_20230607_215107.jpg

• Like 5
  • MLS_Reef changed the title to Best equipment I ever bought, most bang for the buck. (positive equipment reviews) feel free to post your own.

I agree on the burnout part and money is a huge part of it. Especially when things aren’t going well. It seems like such a useless waste of money. Probably why there’s such a big turnover rate in the hobby. 

but when things are going well the money part doesn’t bother me at all and the relaxation of viewing my tank and the relaxation I get from the husbandry is well worth it. Almost like how people get relaxation from taking care of their plants or a garden or something. 

Im enjoying the low cost phase I’m in right now not having to dump endless amounts of 50s and 100s here and there. It’s nice just refilling some supplements and testing reagents once a month and the occasional salt purchase. I can actually enjoy the tank without forking out tons of cash lol. I’m currently just letting it chill for another 5 months or so. So i can start packing it with acros. 

as far as the piece of kit I’m getting the most bang for my buck right now………..I think it’s my skimmer. I got it brand new on clearance for 100 bucks and it works so well. It helps my balance my input and output. I don’t think I could reef without it. 

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

honestly, the $25 ABI “tuna blue” par38 that I use to light my reefbowl. 7 years and still growing coral! 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Honestly, the $25 ABI “tuna blue” par38 that I use to light my reefbowl. 7 years and still growing coral! 

that's fabulous, that's like $3.50 a year...  led's have come so far from changing a $100 metal halide bulb and vho bulbs every 6 months

• Like 1
mitten_reef

Yeah, no matter the type or price of the ato system you have, I feel like it might be the most valuable, best-bang-for-the-buck equipment you could ever add to your setup.  My original tunze nano lasted about 8 years, and my current Duetto one has been on the WB from the moment it was filled (over two years ago now, we’ll see how long this one lasts). 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Woodini said:

ATO. 

28 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Yeah, no matter the type or price of the ato system you have, I feel like it might be the most valuable, best-bang-for-the-buck equipment you could ever add to your setup.  My original tunze nano lasted about 8 years, and my current Duetto one has been on the WB from the moment it was filled (over two years ago now, we’ll see how long this one lasts). 

I have an original smart ato. The one with the clear lens. The sensor still works but I've had to replace the pump twice.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

honestly, the $25 ABI “tuna blue” par38 that I use to light my reefbowl. 7 years and still growing coral! 

Those bulbs used to be all the rage and easy to find, loved them, but here in Canada, I can only find them for like $100 now 😞

ATO is a good one.

• Like 2
Firefish15

I bought a gravity bottle ATO on Amazon a few years ago for like $10. Bullet proof and cheap. A fill up will give me 3 days of stable salinity. Perfect for rimless nanos.

• Like 3
natalia_la_loca

Temperature controllers are also huge. The forums are full of stories of tanks cooked alive by faulty heaters. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
banasophia
On 6/7/2023 at 6:56 PM, MLS_Reef said:

You see a lot of people burn out in this hobby. If you are not careful it's a constant money pit, you can spend and spend trying new things. 

Of everything I have ever spent money on in reef keeping I think one piece of equipment outshines everything I have ever bought or used.

I have had it for 14 years. 

It has never failed.

It is super low maintenance /low cost, a bit of distilled water and a battery every 5 years.

It is accurate and it can be used over and over and over again. 

It is the Milwaukee Ma887 Seawater refractometer with automatic temperature calibration.  It's a best investment winner for me.

PSX_20230607_215107.jpg

Great idea for a thread and I agree 100% on this one! My Milwaukee is my favorite reefing equipment splurge too!!

My other major reefing splurge which I love is my API Aquaspin water tester. So pricey though (like $1200)… not sure I could have rationalized the purchase if it hadn’t my been my major birthday at the time I bought it.

2B0A7D52-E89F-408C-A0EC-393300B3C79C.thumb.jpeg.aca1942bd967c882da9c3ce11c0b2fe8.jpeg

My favorite non-reefing splurges are my Litter Robot automatic kitty litter box, which I bought in part because of a discussion in the lounge. And my cuisinart coffee pot, which grinds the beans and makes the coffee. 

ATOs and temp controllers are also totally worth it!!

• Like 3
natalia_la_loca

I’ve been seriously thinking about getting an aquaspin. Will have to wait a while since I’ve spent so much on coral lately.

• Like 2