Pod Your Reef

Aiptasia Hell

Nidilsky

So, I have had my tank going for almost 5 years and there have been many ups and downs. But, with the closing of the ridiculously well run and stocked LFS, the aiptasia have taken over. I have been unable to find a reliable source for p. Shrimp.

Are berghia a good choice? I have a psw and a clown. Many LPS, sps and gorgs. 

I have always been a busy person and lately the tank has become a chore near the bottom of the list. I do, still, monthly water changes and, with the exception of the aiptasia, the tank is mostly self sustaining. I get blooms of every critter you hear about...recently, copepods and more than a few Christmas worms. I have vermitids and bristles and brittle stars and amphipods which come and go just like I think it should. I rarely add anything aside from fresh saltwater any more and parameters don't seem to fluctuate more than minor ammonia spikes and the occasional nitrate hikes accompanied by the blooms of bubble algae, flagilates (sp?) and gha.

When I first started, my instincts were to purge and scrap and break out alembics, mortar and pestle, and crack the alchemical code to a brighter, cleaner future! Ah, the folly.

My tank has cured me off that. I know that what lives there has purpose. Even when a vermatid burrows deep into a heater and nearly electrocutes me, that was part of his evil ####ing plan all along. Go with it.

But, these amazingly designed beasties known as aiptasia have transformed my tank from Middle Earth to a veritable Mordor. 

So, my question is: will my psw eat the ####ing berghia? 

(Any snarky and or bloviated comments welcome)(and if you are a very young and see the swear words...aiptasia is an appropriate topic for them to be used)

berghia are awesome 

This guy is the man..  https://reeftown.com/berghia-nudibranchs

He lives in south florida and I bought from him when I had an infested 90 galllon.

He explained it like this, the adults don't eat the aiptasia to extinction. The newly hatched young do. So you have to wait for them to start breeding and you have to buy the right number based on the size of your tank so they can find each other and breed.

but it is super cool because 2 to 4 months later on tuesday you have a tank full of aptasia and on friday you look and they are all gone. the babies you don't even see cannibalize the tank.

https://reeftown.com/berghia-nudibranchs