Coral Vue Hydros

Planning on setting up my fusion 20g IM soon

chemchem

Need pros and cons. Planning on setting up my fusion 20g IM soon. Need it to be quiet. BEd room Display tank.

Do you all believe 1 Ai Prime light will be good enough?

Also I wanted to add a pair of Picassos, pair of Pearly Jawfish, and a Diamond Goby. Do you think it's to much fish for the tank?

The brimnes ikea stand is partical board, will it be enough support?

i've owned 2 nuvo 20's at this point they're great tanks.

- 1 ai prime will give you some visual shadows on either side of the tank, it's technically enough light if you scape it accordingly. I used 2 on mine personally. However if you want truly silent lighting, look into something with no fans, the ai primes can get pretty noisy. Most recently i've been using a 2 bulb t5 fixture which is dead silent and produces little extra heat.

- I would skip the diamond goby, they reach almost 7" and will throw sand everywhere and all over everything. Major headache in my opinion

- I personally would not trust particle board, unless you wanted to go through with supporting it with some real wood underneath. A good aquarium cabinet either hardwood or aluminum may be expensive, but they are a very long lasting item if taken care of. I'm a big fan of planet aquariums stands, or IM's own stand is great too.

• Agree 2
10 hours ago, chemchem said:

Planning on setting up my fusion 20g IM soon. Need it to be quiet. BEd room Display tank.

Do you all believe 1 Ai Prime light will be good enough?

Since your tank is rectangular and not square, consider using either multiple spotlights instead of one, or use strip-style lights.

Also I wanted to add a pair of Picassos, pair of Pearly Jawfish, and a Diamond Goby. Do you think it's too much fish for the tank?

If all three were appropriate that would be way too many fish to consider.

But considering each fish separately...

Diamond Goby gets too big for a 75 Gallon in some peoples' opinion.

Pearly Jawfish would be good to consider if you're already an expert on them.

A pair of Clownfish on their own is a GREAT fish setup for a 20 Gallon.

The brimnes ikea stand is partical board, will it be enough support?

If you check with Ikea, I would agree with whatever they say.

The best thing I ever did was to start buying my stands on marketplace. You would be amazed by how many shitbrickhouse solid wood side tables you will find for $20. More than enough for your tank. Much better than IKEA, which will degrade the moment moisture gets below the facing strip to the MDF.

Personally, I think 1 Prime will be fine. I could be wrong, but I would give it a try. Your edges will be a little dark, but I still think it can work depending on your expectations and the par requirements of what you keep there.

• Agree 1

You can always add a second light later, but some consideration should be made to the suggestion for T5 or a strip LED (like the AI Blade.)

The majority of aquarium stands are pretty flimsy, tbh.  Many are made of that same particle board.
I would look at a solid wood frame, aluminum, or powder-coated steel if you want longevity.

If it was my tank, I would strongly consider the Innovative Marine APS aluminum stands or pedestal.

• Agree 1
6 hours ago, BadCrab said:

You can always add a second light later, but some consideration should be made to the suggestion for T5 or a strip LED (like the AI Blade.)

The majority of aquarium stands are pretty flimsy, tbh.  Many are made of that same particle board.
I would look at a solid wood frame, aluminum, or powder-coated steel if you want longevity.

If it was my tank, I would strongly consider the Innovative Marine APS aluminum stands or pedestal.

yes, friends don’t left friends use flimsy overpriced mdf stands.

• Haha 1

I'm not advocating for anything here, just relaying an anecdote that really surprised me.  I inherited what I believe was a Top Fin 125 Gallon set (now passed on 🪦) that was amazing....there's just no other way to put it.   The stand was classic "cheap MDF".   It had been leaked on for an unknown amount of time by a leaky hang-on filter so the top, the vertical supports and base had all experienced a degree (or more) of swelling...and the verticals even sagged by about >1/8" in the front as compared to the back....so the whole thing leaned like the Tower of Pisa.  In the circumstance of the time there was no way to replace the stand, and it had been holding the tank for years as it was.....so I kept it.  It was heavy (125 gallons-heavy!) so when there was any significant movement in the room the whole tank would sway with the floor's bounce.  Never an issue during the whole time I had it.  The MDF was 1" thick and solid as a rock, even as compromised as it was.   I still don't select MDF for stands, but I have a WHOLE lot more respect for it.  With the proper design it can clearly do the job and then some.

Pretty sure @chemchem is a spam account so be aware.  They have started three random threads, all about different tanks sizes.  They also just sent me a message (regarding a looking to buy thread I posted) about a pump and said I should contact someone via email.  

• Thanks 1