inTank Media Baskets

Micro bubbles from nano skimmer- help!

Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24

So I water changed and added a bunch of frags today, first time gluing stuff in hopefully it’s ok.

when I filled it back up and started running it again I started getting micro bubbles coming through into my tank. 

I have a mag tool nano skimmer in the back of my 10 gal JBJ aio. The bubbles are definitely coming from the skimmer. 

I took the pump off, cleaned it out, and played with the tuning to no avail. 

Any  ideas as to what it could be? I can still return to Amazon but I’d rather fix it if I can. 

8 hours ago, Lakeshow24 said:

Any  ideas as to what it could be?

Not really.  Are we talking about a tank full of bubbles, or some?

• Sounds like it's fairly new (being that you can still return it); maybe it still needs to break in.  New skimmers tend to produce more micro-bubbles than seasoned skimmers.
  • Maybe the water change disturbed the sand, which is causing the skimmer to react.
  • Was the skimmer working alright prior to the new frags?  Are all of the frags healthy?

I'd monitor it for a few days to see if there is any improvement.  In the meantime, the bubbles normally don't cause any real harm.

• Agree 2
Lakeshow24

@seabass yeah that’s the thing, it was working fine before the water change and frag addition yesterday. I’m so confused. May need to go back to Amazon for exchange. I’ll keep an eye on it, I haven’t checked my tank yet today. Will keep you posted thank you! 

13 hours ago, Lakeshow24 said:

first time gluing stuff in hopefully it’s ok.

What kind of glue did you use? my skimmer always acts up for a day or so when I use superglue or coral epoxy.

• Agree 2
Lakeshow24
6 hours ago, corey01 said:

What kind of glue did you use? my skimmer always acts up for a day or so when I use superglue or coral epoxy.

I used coral epoxy…seems a little better today. Weird. 

banasophia
14 hours ago, Lakeshow24 said:

@seabass yeah that’s the thing, it was working fine before the water change and frag addition yesterday. I’m so confused. May need to go back to Amazon for exchange. I’ll keep an eye on it, I haven’t checked my tank yet today. Will keep you posted thank you! 

If it was working fine until the water change and epoxy, I think it was probably from the epoxy. 

Check out the following section from this article:

https://reefsump.com/how-to-keep-micro-bubbles-from-entering-your-display-aquarium/

Preventing Micro Bubbles at the Protein Skimmer

Microbubble creation is actually a function of a protein skimmer. Excessive micro bubble discharge can happen when air and water are forced out of the skimmer. Sometimes this is a normal phase, especially with a new skimmer.  Skimmers usually need to go through an initial break-in period where skimmate collection begins and the skimmer develops its organic coating on the inside of the cone. During this break-in period, excess microbubbles may exit the skimmer. During this phase ensure that the skimmer is at its recommended water level and make adjustments to the air intake to dial in the skimmer. Once fully broken in, microbubbles from a new or newly cleaned skimmer usually resolves themselves. If you disassemble and fully clean your protein skimmer it may need to go through this break-in process again.  Wait a couple of days to see if microbubbles reduce as your protein skimmer breaks in. 

How to Break in a Protein Skimmer

Your skimmer may act like it has not been broken when changes to the water chemistry happen which could also lead to microbubbles. This can happen when using epoxy in the aquarium to mount coral or when adding a brand new filter sock to the sump. Your skimmer is reacting to new stuff in the water column and will need time to remove the foreign matter in the tank. This issue usually resolves itself after a short period of time doesn’t typically require additional countermeasures.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 5/26/2023 at 1:03 AM, Lakeshow24 said:

Any  ideas as to what it could be?

Your hands being in the tank.  The glue being in the tank.  Lots of things like that will mess up the foaming action....I guess due to changes in the water's surface tension.

It should clear up sooner or later if it was working before.

It does SOUND like it's running properly, right?  Ie the impeller didn't break or something freak like that.  It happens.

Lakeshow24
17 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Your hands being in the tank.  The glue being in the tank.  Lots of things like that will mess up the foaming action....I guess due to changes in the water's surface tension.

It should clear up sooner or later if it was working before.

It does SOUND like it's running properly, right?  Ie the impeller didn't break or something freak like that.  It happens.

Yep probably what it was, min amount of micro bubbles in tank now. Looks good!

gonna grab a trumpet coral and another zoa today at Neptune aquatics in San Jose (amazing place) as I have to be there anyhow to go to the emergency dentist to fix the tooth I broke out last night at dinner. I am taking a deposition on Tuesday and can’t do it toothless. But a good excuse to go to the coral store! 

have a great long weekend everyone, be safe! 

8CFC0C20-379A-4DD4-85FA-FD6622CD70A6.thumb.jpeg.1780c1f0a42f84076453832c2a0f49bb.jpeg

• Wow 1
Lakeshow24
11 hours ago, banasophia said:

If it was working fine until the water change and epoxy, I think it was probably from the epoxy. 

Check out the following section from this article:

https://reefsump.com/how-to-keep-micro-bubbles-from-entering-your-display-aquarium/

Preventing Micro Bubbles at the Protein Skimmer

Microbubble creation is actually a function of a protein skimmer. Excessive micro bubble discharge can happen when air and water are forced out of the skimmer. Sometimes this is a normal phase, especially with a new skimmer.  Skimmers usually need to go through an initial break-in period where skimmate collection begins and the skimmer develops its organic coating on the inside of the cone. During this break-in period, excess microbubbles may exit the skimmer. During this phase ensure that the skimmer is at its recommended water level and make adjustments to the air intake to dial in the skimmer. Once fully broken in, microbubbles from a new or newly cleaned skimmer usually resolves themselves. If you disassemble and fully clean your protein skimmer it may need to go through this break-in process again.  Wait a couple of days to see if microbubbles reduce as your protein skimmer breaks in. 

How to Break in a Protein Skimmer

Your skimmer may act like it has not been broken when changes to the water chemistry happen which could also lead to microbubbles. This can happen when using epoxy in the aquarium to mount coral or when adding a brand new filter sock to the sump. Your skimmer is reacting to new stuff in the water column and will need time to remove the foreign matter in the tank. This issue usually resolves itself after a short period of time doesn’t typically require additional countermeasures.

Yup! Think you guys were right! All good now! Thanks @banasophia!

• Like 1