inTank Media Baskets

AI Prime 16 hd settings for LPS & SPS

Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24

Didn’t get any bites on the lighting forum so reposting here…

Hey reefers,

New day, new question…

I'm running an AI prime 16 over my 10 gal JBJ cube, mixed reef with SPS up too and LPS everywhere else. 

I watched the BRStv video on settings for this light and size tank, however the settings for sps and lps are very different. (See pics)

is there a setting recommendation for me to have my sps at the top and lps elsewhere that should be successful for both? 

8C5DF138-2FE5-408C-9D4A-7552B256AA08.thumb.png.bc02eb2513c56d98c3ce63520a5be0ed.png473FFC29-A167-48A4-A187-476A0EE3E8F0.thumb.png.db4c86786d8c161d6e476a527147744d.png

• Lakeshow24 changed the title to AI Prime 16 hd settings for LPS & SPS
mitten_reef

Based on the power ratio of each channel, the two program will give you two very different visual coloration of the tank and corals.  It is always good to start low then go up in intensity.  With you tank size, there isn’t much gradient opportunity to worry about peak intensity at the top of the rock vs mid vs sandbed.  assuming your rock is already mid-height in the tank, and isn’t poking out of the water, lol. 
Play with the color temperatures dial that AI has. It’s a fun tool, the symbol I highlighted here. And yes, that’s my peak light (day time) program. 
IMG_0323.thumb.jpeg.68fb29f4086cf7adbd567897688ebd57.jpeg

• Like 2
Lakeshow24
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Based on the power ratio of each channel, the two program will give you two very different visual coloration of the tank and corals.  It is always good to start low then go up in intensity.  With you tank size, there isn’t much gradient opportunity to worry about peak intensity at the top of the rock vs mid vs sandbed.  assuming your rock is already mid-height in the tank, and isn’t poking out of the water, lol. 
Play with the color temperatures dial that AI has. It’s a fun tool, the symbol I highlighted here. And yes, that’s my peak light (day time) program. 
IMG_0323.thumb.jpeg.68fb29f4086cf7adbd567897688ebd57.jpeg

@mitten_reef thanks so much for posting that, I have a few questions so I can feel like I’m getting this right:

1. do you have sps and lps in your tank? 

2. do you use the moonlight at night? (I saw another discussion on that from 2021 where you said you thought it was a gimmick so wondering if it’s a waste of time)

3. how many hours is your light cycle from ramp up to ramp down? 

would you mind posting a screenshot of your light cycle? Appreciate you! 

NoOneLikesADryTang

Dang Mittenz, you’re running a lot of green and reds! 

For a tank your size, Lakeshow, I’d probably start around 30-40% on the uv/violet/blues and I don’t run much of any greens and reds. I’d then set the white channel so that it was visually appealing to my eyes. 

You can then slowly ramp it up once a week or so, and observe your corals and if they’re unhappy you’ll know to bring it back down for a bit. 

For reference, here’s a Prime HD (the previous generation, with 3 less LEDs) we have over a small 5 gallon SPS tank. I think it’s putting out around 300 par about 4-5” below the water line. 

IMG_5518.thumb.png.f2943c72aaafe6599341c0db9ce3c6f2.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Lakeshow24

@NoOneLikesADryTang thank you! That’s exactly what I’ll do…this site is so helpful. When I was managing a LFS and really into the hobby 20 years ago nothing like this existed, you just kinda learned by killing expensive shit lol. Appreciate you 👊🏼

mitten_reef
9 hours ago, Lakeshow24 said:

@mitten_reef thanks so much for posting that, I have a few questions so I can feel like I’m getting this right:

1. do you have sps and lps in your tank? 

2. do you use the moonlight at night? (I saw another discussion on that from 2021 where you said you thought it was a gimmick so wondering if it’s a waste of time)

3. how many hours is your light cycle from ramp up to ramp down? 

would you mind posting a screenshot of your light cycle? Appreciate you! 

1. yes, both, but heavily tilt toward all-acropora. 

2. yes, but it is still a gimmick. i dont think my fish behave any differently, nor the corals, as far as I can tell.  it's just for me to look at the tank late at night.

3. sureIMG_0324.thumb.png.426c3d0287a5f03ab24ad198f62188df.png

8 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Dang Mittenz, you’re running a lot of green and reds! 

yeah I run a lot of white/red/green.  you forgot that I also have 40 more watts of Blue+ led bars (which has 3-4 different types of blue in them) to add the blue oomph.  the hydra's are there purely for PAR power, peaking at 13500K which is pretty dang close to full spectrum at this point.  

• Like 2