Coral Vue Hydros

Relaxing Night Flow

phinatic

I have a 13.5 G Evo intended to for an SPS setup. I am running a 300gph return and a Nero 3. The Nero 3 is configured for a standing wave (aka. Pulse). That pulse runs for 3 seconds on and 3 seconds off. The max power is 40% (930 gph). I wanted to simulate a tidal rush in and out with the Nero. The return is pointed at the surface and agitates the surface.

My question is for my clownfish. They seem fine throughout the day and look relaxed. In the evening, I see them almost on the sand, but their figure-8 swimming actually seems faster than it is during the day. Can anyone with clownfish comment on their sleeping behavior? Do you turn down the flow in the evening? I actually was hoping to keep the flow high while most of the corals have their polyps closed.

That's a lot of flow.  But my guess is that ocean currents are more intense.  I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
17 hours ago, seabass said:

That's a lot of flow

Yes, on paper it is a lot, but the flow is pretty diffuse. The Nero has a pretty wide cone and the return has dual fan outlets. Having the Nero pulse causes everything to sway.

Edit: By everything, I mean macro algae, since there are no softies. Just red macro and some sps frags that were just added.

• Like 1