Cultivated Reef

Anemone in 10 gal cube mixed reef?

Lakeshow24

Lakeshow24

C3875908-FEF2-4685-9A37-19506EF6F81B.thumb.jpeg.72edec606ec12207965d05f30153d53e.jpeg

Hey reefers,

I’ve researched this ad nauseum and cannot find a consensus. 

looking for an anemone for my oscellaris clown pair to host in my 10 gal LPS SPS frag mixed reef. Two month old setup. Fully cycled and doing great.

is there a nem that is less likely to sting my corals that the clowns will host? 

I’ve read posts all over the internet and cannot get a straight answer and end up seeing people fighting on message boards 🤣

If you want to keep everything in the tank alive I wouldn’t attempt any clown hosting nem, they all get too big for that tank, move too much and their sting is too strong. Your best bet is having them host something that resembles some type of anemone, which is pretty much just luck. I’ve seen them host anything from hammers to finger leathers to bubble coral and more

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I have a pair that hang out in my Duncan and Alveopora. They don't need an anemone. They will find something to sleep in, most likely a corner. :lol:

• Like 1
Lakeshow24

Ok, this seems to be the consensus and they seem to be doing just fine without a host right now. I have some new LPS frags that should start growing here soon so I’ll wait and see if they take to those. Thanks guys! 

I've seen clowns leave their host anemone to go lay eggs in a nest in the sand bed.  (They can't read the same websites we do, so they don't always know how to act. 😉

• Haha 1