Coral Vue Hydros

starfish

rykerAbby12

rykerAbby12

My saltwater tank is a month old, no fish, but coral and live rock, 3 shrimp, and 1 starfish, all look great,I bought 2 seahorses, and another starfish yesterday, By morning 1 seahorse is dead and my starfish will not come out of hiding, I do not even know if it is even alive. I took a hit and took the other seahorse to  my main  saltwater store so nothing would happen to that one. How long should let the starfish alone before bothering it?    Teri

Whoa. 
ya gotta slow it down! 
I would relocate any living inhabitants to a safer environment. Water change(s)Then start over with a slower approach. This is a balance of science and art; practice and patience makes perfect..

• Like 1

We're missing some critical information like: how large is the tank, what type of sea stars are you keeping, was the rock taken from the ocean or dry, have you been monitoring the ammonia level, and what is your plan for this tank?

Due to feeding preferences, most starfish aren't particularly suitable for a nano tank.  Brittle stars can be kept, but most get pretty big for a nano setup, and I'm not sure about compatibility with seahorses (but I imagine that the slow moving ponies would be at risk).  With more information, we might be better able to provide some guidance which might improve your chances for success.

• Like 2