Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Innovative Marine APS Stand Assembly

Nomoreammo

Nomoreammo

Hey guys,

For those who have assembled IM's aluminum stands, I've got a question for you.

Their instruction booklet says that the dot indicator should turn from one direction to the opposite in order to fully lock in place. Lifted from their manual:

If the "Dot" is facing away from the center of the profile it is in the unlocked position.

If the "Dot" is facing towards the center of the profile it is in the locked position.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case for any of the pieces, including the 2x bottom slat supports and the 1x rear vertical support. I'm using the correct smaller channel for the tension locks.

I am genuinely questioning the clarity of wording and diagrams in their instructions. Even IM's assembly video doesn't show the dude doing a full 180 turn. If you zoom into the image, you can see the tension lock only goes 75% of the way.

However, Thomas @ BRS did a product highlight and mentioned that these locks should turn 180-degrees.

What the eff?

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Innovative Marine has not been clear in this regard and insists the locks should turn the full 180-degrees.

20230519_153546_resized.jpg

20230519_153555_resized.jpg

IM-assembly-video.png

I literally had the same issue..I'm not a huge fan of the stand to be quite honest.  I think the structural integrity is fine (mine is still standing lol) but I have one for the IM 14 and the space is too limited.  Aluminum is nice for sure.. My locks did not line up with the dot either and I had a pretty rough time getting everything level.  I think I'm going to end up building a new stand when we have to move our tank.  

Like I said - I wouldn't worry about the integrity of it, just make sure they're as tight as you can get it. 

Nomoreammo

Gotcha. Not reassuring news, but a tad relieved, to hear that the dots didn't line up.

I think it's poor oversight on Innovative Marine's part to have instructions that clearly don't coincide with the design of the product. It's confusing as hell and does no favours for consumers who are putting hundreds of pounds of water on these products to have this kind of apprehension. Even IKEA does a better job than this.

Having paid $500+ CAD for this stand, I wasn't amused. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a commercial product specifically because I don't have the know-how to build a DIY stand that had the same level of finish. 

Nomoreammo

After some additional back and forth with Innovative Marine, I went back to the stand and used way more torque than I would have thought I needed.

I managed to get the dot indicators to do the full 180 but the amount of force required is very counterintuitive. 

The next issue is now the middle horizontal brace sticks up so I'll need to adjust the profiles in order for the foam core top to sit level from side to side. It rocks like a seesaw at the moment due to the raised middle.

@TheKleinReef @ml86743 Did you guys have any trouble with this as well?

Nomoreammo

Good effing lord.

At the risk of sounding incompetent, I cannot believe what a massive pain in the ass this stand is turning out to be.

The horizontal support beam only goes in one way. Once you tighten it, it's actually raised in the middle.

Red lines indicate where it's flush. Blue lines indicate where it's raised. 

As a result, if you put a spirit level from end to end, it is definitely not planar even with the foam core board on top. The self-levelling mat does not do anything and you can actually see-saw the tank. 

20230525_120547_resized.thumb.jpg.2d1cf9d6dc84f47e0c0e700614c380a8.jpg

20230525_120532_resized.thumb.jpg.b5bb7f9f8f8ffdaeedee523bba47440f.jpg20230525_120513_resized.thumb.jpg.f2a9e22bf62d7009f43965f3718fcebc.jpg

• Wow 1