inTank Media Baskets

Easy, Larger AIO Setup Suggestions

Justin_CA

Hi All,

I had a very successful Biocube 14 going for several years about a decade ago. But in moving from CA to Seattle, and getting busy with kids, I had to shut down the tank. 

It’s been 10 years and I’m not sure what all the new equipment options are. I now have more space and more hobby $’s to spend, but not quite as much time as I did when I started out.

Can I get some recommendations for nice tank and system that would be on the lower maintenance side? Is a nice all in one system the way to go?

Even back in the day I had done quite a bit of automation with a good controller, is even more of that possible today? 

I’d like to keep it under 100G, and I’m sure I’ve left off many essential requirements to get a good recommendation, but be gentle 🙂

What sort of shape do you prefer in a tank?

If I was in the market for a quality, mid-sized AIO or Reef-Kit I'd be looking at Innovative Marine or Red Sea, personally.
There are a few more options now for equipment to fit into AIO's including the now-popular fleece filters.

Regarding controllers,
Digital Aquatics is dead, long live Neptune (surely that doesn't come across as biased, right?)
Hydros and GHL are the other controller systems grabbing market share where they can.

Almost every piece of equipment is controllable now either natively with its own app or (if you want) integrated into one of the controller ecosystems.
If you're particularly handy of course, a lot more options open up for you in that space.

If you've got the room and budget, I'd advise you (as someone in the industry who maintained tanks from 5g to 5,000g,) to go bigger rather than smaller.  There's a sweet spot where you've got enough volume to give you cushion on parameter swings but maintenance doesn't become laborious.

• Agree 1
19 hours ago, Justin_CA said:

Hi All,

I had a very successful Biocube 14 going for several years about a decade ago. But in moving from CA to Seattle, and getting busy with kids, I had to shut down the tank. 

Not sure whether that size is an option, but the BioCube is still around and folks are still growing nice reefs in them.  Still a good option, depending what you're thinking about now!  🙂

It’s been 10 years and I’m not sure what all the new equipment options are. I now have more space and more hobby $’s to spend, but not quite as much time as I did when I started out.

IMO a 36" tank is a nice size.  Still "nano" to stock in most ways, but LOTS more room for corals to grow in.   (ie still not much room for fish, and really only nano fish; but excellent for coral.)

Can I get some recommendations for nice tank and system that would be on the lower maintenance side? Is a nice all in one system the way to go?

IMO maintenance scales directly with fish population.  Fish-free can be made almost maintenance-free.

Even back in the day I had done quite a bit of automation with a good controller, is even more of that possible today? 

It's a bit crazy today IMO.   Now everything has a controller whether you want it or not.  You'll even risk FOMO just buying a traditional AC-powered flow pump.  🤪

So yes, there are great controller options out there.  But it seems like a lot of the need for them has diminished for "most people".

Personally I miss Digital Aquatics.  They had a lock on the simplicity:function ratio IMO.  But by the time I took my ReefKeeper Lite out of service I was basically only using it as a (backup) temperature controller.

Obviously, this is a YMMV scenario.  Whether things are "good" really depends on what you want to automate and why.  👍

I’d like to keep it under 100G, and I’m sure I’ve left off many essential requirements to get a good recommendation, but be gentle 🙂

Go with whatever your LFS carries, IMO.  

And in gerneral I agree that going as big as you can (in terms of space, budget, etc) makes sense.  If you find a good 100 Gallon setup that you like, that's what I'd recommend.  👍   With proper attention to design and setup, it can be as low-maintenance as you want.  (That's without needing automation per se.  Just using controllers that come with devices....eg dosing pumps.)

Depending on your local shopping options....

BTW, 125 Gallon is a great "mid size" tank if there's a way you can do a six foot tank....still in the vicinity of "100 gallons".

125G is not that big as it still takes regular lights and pumps to run, but you get MUCH better options for fish since you have all that length.  

Petsmart also has good deals on 125 Gallon setups....cheap even not-on-sale.  A great option if you're budget conscious.

Just a thought. 😉 

Thanks for all the helpful pointers. I looked at the Red Sea Reefer G2+ and that seems to be a well regarded and nice tank. 

One thought, that might be unpopular, is why do all the tanks these days have no lids?? I’m sure there is a very good reason, either aesthetically or functionally, but I’m not really a fan of the look. I like the “underwater” look you get — as in a commercial aquarium. Doesn’t all that exposed lighting create a lot of glare? Does anyone make an integrated light and lid these days?

Maybe I just need to see it in person to appreciate the the look.

I’m less interested in lots of fish than nice corals and invertebrates, but would want a few as I like a diverse ecosystem. 

Custom CNC-cut acrylic lids are the high-end option, DIY screen kits for the rest of us.
It's a consequence of rimless tanks taking the lion's share of the market.  I personally prefer the rimless look so I get it.

I’m now seriously looking at the Red Sea Max E 260. What is the reputation of this tank? Am I paying a large premium for convenience of the package versus selecting components myself? 

14 hours ago, Justin_CA said:

Thanks for all the helpful pointers. I looked at the Red Sea Reefer G2+ and that seems to be a well regarded and nice tank. 

There's something for everyone, that's for sure.

One thought, that might be unpopular, is why do all the tanks these days have no lids??

You might be noticing a trend, but plenty of folks run their tanks both ways according to what matters in their case.  Don't be trendy....do what makes sense.  👍

I’m sure there is a very good reason, either aesthetically or functionally, but I’m not really a fan of the look. I like the “underwater” look you get — as in a commercial aquarium. Doesn’t all that exposed lighting create a lot of glare? Does anyone make an integrated light and lid these days?

A properly installed light doesn't make much.  There's always the option of using a canopy over the tank.  But I'm not aware of anyone selling canopies with pre-installed lights.

Maybe I just need to see it in person to appreciate the the look.

Not saying it's the end-all-be-all, but the idea of an open-top setup is being able to see corals without glass filtering what you see.....WAY more colors come through.  More detail as well.  

Some folks have issues with fish jumping out, so that's a general reason for NOT having an open top for "most people, especially newbs".

I’m less interested in lots of fish than nice corals and invertebrates, but would want a few as I like a diverse ecosystem. 

Sounds like a good base to start with!  (I actually ran my system almost without fish for the first 6 or 7 years or whatever.  Didn't add a permanent fish population until I upgraded the system to a 125 gallon a few years back.  I have 1 yellow Tang now.  Probably wouldn't have more than 1-2 more fish, but no immediate plans to add more.  Used to have a Black Damselfish in there too.)   Didn't have any problems balancing the system without fish, but I also started with live rock.

1 hour ago, Justin_CA said:

I’m now seriously looking at the Red Sea Max E 260. What is the reputation of this tank? Am I paying a large premium for convenience of the package versus selecting components myself? 

I haven't priced the RS's lately, but usually that's the case in spades.