Innovative Marine Aquariums

Waterbox Peninsula 15 questions

RickvD

Hello everyone, I'm currently working on setting up my first reef thank and I wanted some feedback if I did it correctly.

The setup is:

- AI Prime 16HD

- AI Nero 3

- Tunze Doc 9001

- Sicce Silent 1.0

IMG_3709.thumb.jpg.0f27afe1157214adff2e5eafbd575854.jpgIMG_3708.thumb.jpg.91dcfd100dbe41269411e66aa54590f7.jpg

The first chamber will be filled with filter material (planning on buying an InTank Chamber one media basket), The second chamber is currently only housing the skimmer, am I supposed to put anything else in there?

IMG_3711.thumb.jpg.55917700da415883d67402b9be6bec5c.jpg

The final chamber is messy and full. It has a Sicce Silent 1.0 (extremely tight fit, I feel like I need to try the 0,5 because I don't think this is going to be silent at all. It also has the heater and the clamp for the light.

IMG_3710.thumb.jpg.ac452d32447a1bb6976cf875969ab636.jpg

Am I missing anything? Is there a way any of you would do this different? All help and tips are appreciated.

mitten_reef

Do you have an auto top off?  

wouldn’t particularly recommend putting the heater in the chamber with water fluctuation, ie the return chamber. If water evaporates, then the heater will be exposed to air, which isn’t good for most heater built to stay submerged. 

• Like 1

These nano peninsula tanks are tight in the back.  I'd skip the media basket until you need it.  That frees up first slot for Heater or skimmer.  Makes room for ato in third chamber (where the water fluctuations happens)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Do you have an auto top off?  

wouldn’t particularly recommend putting the heater in the chamber with water fluctuation, ie the return chamber. If water evaporates, then the heater will be exposed to air, which isn’t good for most heater built to stay submerged. 

I don’t have a ATO yet, but I will get one before I fill the tank. Everything is such a tight fit that the second chamber is fully used by the skimmer so I’m not sure where else I can fit the heater…

5 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

These nano peninsula tanks are tight in the back.  I'd skip the media basket until you need it.  That frees up first slot for Heater or skimmer.  Makes room for ato in third chamber (where the water fluctuations happens)

I have the skimmer in the second chamber (only chamber it fits). The first chamber is the only chamber with any space left for filter material. Im planning on using sponge, carbon and filter balls. I can fit the sponge or carbon under the skimmer and put the filter sock in the first chamber (that’s how waterbox imagined it). I can try to move the skimmer a bit to the corner of the second chamber, so I can put the heater in the other corner.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
6 hours ago, RickvD said:

I don’t have a ATO yet, but I will get one before I fill the tank. Everything is such a tight fit that the second chamber is fully used by the skimmer so I’m not sure where else I can fit the heater…

I have the skimmer in the second chamber (only chamber it fits). The first chamber is the only chamber with any space left for filter material. Im planning on using sponge, carbon and filter balls. I can fit the sponge or carbon under the skimmer and put the filter sock in the first chamber (that’s how waterbox imagined it). I can try to move the skimmer a bit to the corner of the second chamber, so I can put the heater in the other corner.

you can always start a tank without a skimmer and see how it goes, just my opinion. 

when starting a new tank it is always good to not strip the water too clean to avoid dino outbreak that tend to happen more often with an over-filtration setup people have these days.  Obviously, other factors will likely contribute to dino as well - but water too clean is often cited as one of the reasons.  

Just now, mitten_reef said:

you can always start a tank without a skimmer and see how it goes, just my opinion. 

when starting a new tank it is always good to not strip the water too clean to avoid dino outbreak that tend to happen more often with an over-filtration setup people have these days.  Obviously, other factors will likely contribute to dino as well - but water too clean is often cited as one of the reasons.  

Alright thanks for the tip! I did read somewhere that the skimmer should stay off atleast till fish are added after a complete cycle. I think I’ve managed to fit all equipment in the back and I will start a journal after I receive my cabinet, ATO and final supplies.

10 hours ago, RickvD said:

I can only speak to what I'm doing, but definitely agree with Mittens about stripping the water.  I don't run a skimmer, carbon or floss, on my 20 gallon IM peninsula.  I try to stay with a 2 week 20% water change pattern allowing me to vacuum out any place that needs cleaned as the mechanic Filtration (rather then a skimmer or floss) My lastest tank is 4 months and already bottoms out Phosphate with Rock and Sand only.

To be fair I've never ran a socks, spunges or filter floss on any of my tanks, I don't want to baby sit and clean that thing all the time. There are definitely a lot of people that do run something. It's of my opinion the skimmer and water changes are plenty of mechanical filtering. 

I'll get a skinner when/if I need it.

15 minutes ago, Rhetoric said:

I can only speak to what I'm doing, but definitely agree with Mittens about stripping the water.  I don't run a skimmer, carbon or floss, on my 20 gallon IM peninsula.  I try to stay with a 2 week 20% water change pattern allowing me to vacuum out any place that needs cleaned as the mechanic Filtration (rather then a skimmer or floss) My lastest tank is 4 months and already bottoms out Phosphate with Rock and Sand only.

To be fair I've never ran a socks, spunges or filter floss on any of my tanks, I don't want to baby sit and clean that thing all the time. There are definitely a lot of people that do run something. It's of my opinion the skimmer and water changes are plenty of mechanical filtering. 

I'll get a skinner when/if I need it.

Alright, might remove the skimmer for a while then. After all the money I spent on the tank, lights and wavemaker I thought it would be best to be extra safe and buy some extra equipment for more stability as I really want everything to go right. Didn’t expect to over do it 😂

• Like 1