inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 16 prefilter needed with intake upgrade?

Markglofish

Markglofish

So I have a BioCube 16.

intake media basket update

running filter floss on top

and in the second chamber Fluval clearmax bag which removes and controls phosphate.

I still have the tiny sponge next to the pump.

so questions are….

do u I still need the pre cartridge in the intake chamber.

do I need the tint sponge.

it’s a freshwater tank

thanks I’m clueless

• 4 weeks later...

All of that sounds like stuff you would only use "as needed".

Is your tank having a problem you're trying to fix, or what's the scenario?

banasophia

Hi! I had a Biocube 16 and still have a 32 (both saltwater). I’m just learning how to do freshwater and started a planted tank a few weeks ago that I converted for freshwater use. You can check out the links to my tanks in my signature. 

You might want to keep that little black sponge between chambers 2 & 3 if there’s a chance bits of plants could get through and get into the pump, but if you’re running filter floss on your media rack that seems unlikely to happen so I’d probably remove the sponge but save it in case you change your mind and want to add it back in later. It’s kind of a pain to take out and clean so I think most people don’t use it. 

As for the stock filter cartridge, most people don’t use those once they get the tank going and it’s time to replace them. I switched to chemipure in my media racks instead. You’ll want to consider what filter media you need for freshwater.