Innovative Marine Aquariums

Will this light work on my reef tank?

Johnny Max

I bought this light (the 48" light) for my freshwater planted aquarium. It works great, I am thinking about buying the 24" one for the 30g tank I am planning.

Does anyone use a light like this for their reef? It says it is for a freshwater tank. Am I missing something?

NICREW RGB+W 24/7 LED Aquarium Light with Remote Controller, Full Spectrum Fish Tank Light for Planted Freshwater Tanks

Light.thumb.jpg.e68d9c31c8c344d07b19312f686f7ca8.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LB8JHJT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

mitten_reef

Based on your other post mentioning wanting to do a macro algae tank, this light may work fine before you move into corals. 
Reef lights run much bluer spectrum than freshwater, because, in simplest terms, that’s what grow corals and give them nice pop of colors. 
If your end game is to buy and grow corals, even zoas, I’d recommend buying reef spectrum lights.  There are very few corals that look good under warm white of fw spectrum. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Clip... 
If your end game is to buy and grow corals, even zoas, I’d recommend buying reef spectrum lights.  There are very few corals that look good under warm white of fw spectrum. 

Thanks, I guess I really need to go bluer. I am starting on a budget because I want to easy into it and not just throw my money at it.

Below is a very inexpensive light. Not sure if it is bright enough. My tank is about 2' deep as I recall. I need to put a tape on it.

This light is 30W

PopBloom S16 Saltwater LED Aquarium Light Mini Nano Fish Tank Lighting Reef LED Lamp 30W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0857789Q4/?coliid=IAIC2VFSUO5V2&colid=2MAS3O5PNF1SG&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I will have to remove the top that came with it to use this light. I have some clear acrylic sheet I can cut and make a clear top with.

I'm a little anxious, but from what I have read, building and growing a reef tank is not a sprint, but more of a long cross county run, or maybe a slow walk across the country.

The big thing for me, is I finally made the decision to do it. Now, to gather all my ducks, so I can line them up...

Thanx

51rC9uShSL._AC_SX679_.thumb.jpg.e9ca46178b81b2b53b27f6423ff10e1f.jpg

mitten_reef

Light selection, other than what you’re keeping, it has a lot to do with your tank shape.  You want it to a) has enough power to punch thru the depth of the tank, b) good enough coverage across the tank footprint, or both. 
I don’t have much knowledge on a reliable budget brands, sorry. But I believe that Nicrew brand you used for fw, has some sw products. If you like them enough I’d go with something you’re familiar with. 

but also look around on here. Ppl use all types of lighting. I know a lot is dominated by the expensive brands. But there are some nice tanks with budget-friendly lights out there

• Like 2

I have corals under a freshwater light, they do fine but don't look great. That is.. they are healthy but corals under natural light tend to look brown and most people don't like that. 

• Like 2

I may have to spend a little more money on a light than I was planning. I went out to the shop to look at the old aquarium I am planning on using. It is bigger than I though. I measured it and the volume is 50 gallons! I had no idea it was that big!

Here is a picture of it. It needs a good cleaning before I bring it in. The last thing I had in it were Mozambique Tilapia. I have the tilapia in a 275g tote now. I have more Tilapia in a 65 in the game room I am setting up this Reef Tank in. I need to move the tilapia into the tote out in the shop, because that corner will now the home of the Reef Tank.

I will move the 65 to the other side. Not sure what I will put in it. I am thinking about a one species tropical fish tank. Make them happy and see if they will breed naturally. It will be planted of course. Angels, barbs guppies, not sure yet. Guppies are easy almost no maintenance, LOL

Got off subject... sorry! Here is the tank for my new project. Got it free as with my 65 and my 75 long. I collect tanks I guess!!! People give them to me, I pick them up on the side of the road and reseal them. I need to build a Fish Cave...

20230321_181537.thumb.jpg.8cbd86c05e84d16a30e16b3262a7b7be.jpg

Thinking outside the box. I could use a regular planted tank light for daily timed lighting.

It has control over what color. I could switch it to blue for pictures and showing it off...

Just saying. My planted tank light lets you set the color from red to white to blue and any combination.

Just a thought. I am going to be wanting sea anemones now.

But the anemones I want are found in shallow water and love full spectrum light which I what I have on my planted tank.

I am going to collect them in Galveston at the Jetty. I live 1 1/2 hours away.

Still undecided on the light. :unsure:

Thank you for the advice....

17 hours ago, Dave21 said:

I've been using this one for well over a year in my 29 gallon and have been growing coral. My profile pics a pic of the tank with the light below. 

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Saltwater-Aquarium-2-Channel-Included/dp/B0819M2VQ3/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=nicrew+reef+tank+light&qid=1679521380&sr=8-4

I put that on my "Reef Tank" wish list on Amazon. I will buy that light.

I will not focus on lighting now, decision made.

On to making live rock. At lunch I am picking up 100 lbs. White Mortar & 100 lbs. of crushed Oyster/Conch/Coral from tractor supply at lunch today.

I need to get it made and curing...

Thanks for the guidance! :happydance: