SaltCritters.com

Aquarium/stand question

Caingram

Is it okay for the black rim on the bottom of the aquarium to slightly hang off the aquarium stand? All the glass is supported. This stand is for a 65 rimless and this aquarium is not rimless so the black bottom plastic hangs over the edge some. 

5C5F38F0-687D-455C-BF80-4FA57B57E816.jpeg

C16E7E55-14A3-4239-ABC6-2F9F43FD5F32.jpeg

AiredaleReef

If this was my tank, I would not be overly concerned. You want to avoid uneven surfaces, that could cause pressure points. Based on the photo and description you provided, it appears all the glass is supported. 

On 3/19/2023 at 8:25 PM, Caingram said:

Is it okay for the black rim on the bottom of the aquarium to slightly hang off the aquarium stand? All the glass is supported. This stand is for a 65 rimless and this aquarium is not rimless so the black bottom plastic hangs over the edge some. 

5C5F38F0-687D-455C-BF80-4FA57B57E816.jpeg

C16E7E55-14A3-4239-ABC6-2F9F43FD5F32.jpeg

It doesn't look like that's a structural trim anyway....just decorative to hide the glue joints.  (Judging by the way it's split AND from the presence of the foam pad under the bottom.)

If that's true, then it looks like the stand IS supporting all the glass.  (And effectively, as far as supporting it, this is a rimless tank.)

As long as the surface under it is mostly flat, no major bumps or dips, then it looks OK to me too.

Great, thank you. I bought this tank used and then purchased this stand new for it. I put the foam mat under it myself. Yes, the tank is rimless on top but has this trim around the bottom. I was worried about it being split like that but the guy I bought it from said it was professionally resealed about 6 months ago and has been holding water no problem. 

6 hours ago, Caingram said:

Yes, the tank is rimless on top but has this trim around the bottom.

The trim only wraps the outside of the tank though – it's decorative.   It does NOT support the tank.  Correct?

18 minutes ago, Caingram said:

How could I tell? 

Whether the bottom-glass of the tank is sitting on the table directly, or the plastic trim is on the table and the bottom-glass is actually on top of the trim.  (So, whether the trim is actually supporting the direct weight of the tank, or the table is.)

(forget the foam mat for the sake of discussion)

Hm....

That repair doesn't look too bad.  Curious if anyone else here agrees tho!!

Or...

As far as I know it's still possible to get those trims aftermarket if you want to replace it yourself.

I'm not sure that the foam is necessary, the bottom surface of the tank does not touch the foam?

i would think with that plastic rim, as long as the side glass is in line with the cabinet edge you are ok, that trim looks like it acts like a raised foot.