Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anyone have an Auto Roller Filter by Clarisea in their Aquatop Recife 40g AIO?

tviquez10

I have a 40g Aquatop AIO. I replaced the foam in the first chamber with a custom made filter holder by someone on this forum. I have a filter sock in it and I'm just looking for something that requires a little less work. I've been looking into the Auto Rollers and came across one by Clarisea. Has anyone been able to put one in the middle chamber of their Aquatop Recife AIO? I can't find measurements on saltwateraquarium.com and haven't looked elsewhere yet. Just wanted some opinions on it.

I also found a Di-4 Drop-In Fleece Filter System V2 by Klir that has a much smaller footprint. I'm going to do measurements and see.

Seems like those are really oriented to usage on a system that's getting fed a lot – maybe even tanks that are systeamatically overfed like coral grow-out systems.  You sure you need something like this on a regular home system?  (How old is your tank?)

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

irrelevant info ^

if you don't feed as much as a coral growth out  it won't clog and burn through the roll as fast as a coral grow out system.

if it fits i would 100% do it. removing foods before they break down into dissolved organics can be super beneficial in some cases.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Seems like those are really oriented to usage on a system that's getting fed a lot – maybe even tanks that are systeamatically overfed like coral grow-out systems.  You sure you need something like this on a regular home system?  (How old is your tank?)

Do you mean a tank with corals I don't plan on fragging and just let grow?? I don't overfeed by any means but I do add aminos and phytoplankton quite frequently. What I've got going on now has to be rinsed frequently which I can't always do as much as I should.

I upgraded my return pump from the stock, which may be on the high end of power for the size tank I have. I wanted a good brand and got the smallest they had. However, because of this power, if the sock and floss get clogged, it causes my return pump end to run a very low level. I'm also going out of the country for 2 weeks and I'm really wanting something to help out my house/pet sitter. My tank is a few months past a year now and doing extremely well. I'm just really wanting to upgrade and tweak what I've got. I do wish I hadn't gotten an AIO because I'm so limited with space, but it's been a nice upgrade from my HOB FOWLR I had for 10 years.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

irrelevant info ^

if you don't feed as much as a coral growth out  it won't clog and burn through the roll as fast as a coral grow out system.

if it fits i would 100% do it. removing foods before they break down into dissolved organics can be super beneficial in some cases.

After hours of research, I have yet to come upon one that will fit the mere 2.5inx3in/ish area I have... The one I had listed in my title, isn't going to work. I found the dimensions of it on another website. I did reach out to someone who 3D printed one for a different brand of AIO. It's manual and not auto but hey, I'm not going to be picky if I can find one! I have my fingers crossed that he will be able to use his current model and just scale as needed for my dimensions. 🤞

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

aio's have a more unique challenge when it comes to filter rollers. sumped systems have a lot more room to work with fit a roller in, AIO's have a few inches in some cases, not quite as universal.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

aio's have a more unique challenge when it comes to filter rollers. sumped systems have a lot more room to work with fit a roller in, AIO's have a few inches in some cases, not quite as universal.

I'm figuring out it's not commonplace to have one for that very reason lol I really do wish it was an option though because I think it's a genius invention.

8 hours ago, tviquez10 said:

Do you mean a tank with corals I don't plan on fragging and just let grow?? I don't overfeed by any means but I do add aminos and phytoplankton quite frequently.

I mean folks who are growing out frags with commercial intent – where speed of growth matter$ and overfeeding is a cost of doing business.

Not your situation. 😉 

Another place where this kind of product seems like it would fit is in a normal fish-only type of system....just used in place of a more traditional mechanical filter.

But in a regular home reef tank with corals, it seems like you would want to avoid mechanical filtering as much as possible – or entirely.

What I've got going on now has to be rinsed frequently which I can't always do as much as I should.

Everything a mechanical filter catches would be better off in a coral's mouth, where it's food 👍rather than "waste" that you have to "clean" 👎.   IMO using a mechanical filter on a reef in most cases is a make-work scheme....but there's no real benefit to the tank.

An exception is if we're talking about a "real" mechanical filter that can remove particles ≤25 microns or so.....those kind of filters can actually filter out algae and parasite propagules.  Under certain circumstances that can be VERY useful....but still not in general.

I upgraded my return pump from the stock, which may be on the high end of power for the size tank I have. I wanted a good brand and got the smallest they had. However, because of this power, if the sock and floss get clogged, it causes my return pump end to run a very low level. I'm also going out of the country for 2 weeks and I'm really wanting something to help out my house/pet sitter. My tank is a few months past a year now and doing extremely well. I'm just really wanting to upgrade and tweak what I've got. I do wish I hadn't gotten an AIO because I'm so limited with space, but it's been a nice upgrade from my HOB FOWLR I had for 10 years.

Sounds like it's going to be time for an upgrade sooner than later! 😉 

IMO just remove the mechanical filter while you're out of town.  Consider not reinstalling it when you get back.  👍

• Thanks 1
TheKleinReef
8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

IMO using a mechanical filter on a reef in most cases is a make-work scheme....but there's no real benefit to the tank.

D tier take.

8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

IMO Consider not reinstalling it when you get back.  

F tier take

On 3/8/2023 at 1:32 PM, pal said:

Hey, not familiar with your your tank dimensions. Would this fit?  https://reefbuilders.com/2023/01/31/innovative-marine-launch-nuvo-roller-for-fusion-aio/

Right under the 6in dimension at the top on this, is where I would need to know length. The rest of the measurements seem to fit for what I need. I'll be interested in the reviews once it releases. Thank you for the link! I'm going to keep an eye on it.