Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano aquarium fish stocking guide

1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark
1epauletteshark
18 hours ago, PeterU said:

These are 2 posts on this forum already giving lists with possible tank sizes. I personally won't go to an unknown google docs site.

May I point out that your second source is from 2005-2013 and is no longer very reliable as I have done some research on it myself. This is just a quick easy guide with photos of fish you can keep in a nano with some information. Feel free to fact check everything yourself and please let me know if you find anything wrong

1epauletteshark
19 hours ago, PeterU said:

These are 2 posts on this forum already giving lists with possible tank sizes. I personally won't go to an unknown google docs site.

Also the first resource you stated here lacks a lot of possible species that could be added

21 hours ago, PeterU said:

Just as a heads up, @1epauletteshark has been putting together and sharing these guides amongst other forums. The google doc is safe. 

• Like 1
1epauletteshark
10 hours ago, GobyBryant said:

I took a glance at this doc @1epauletteshark and I appreciate how few animals you have in the 5G range. I love my little 5g tank, but my approach to stocking it has changed dramatically. 

Yeah, I know that it’s a touchy subject so I didn’t go bellow 5 and I didn’t put many at 5

14 hours ago, 1epauletteshark said:

Also the first resource you stated here lacks a lot of possible species that could be added

This guide is more comprehensive than a basic list. It can be updated from time to time - so even if it 'lacks a lot of possible species', we can always add it to the list later. If you'd like to recommend anything, we're all ears! 🙂

15 hours ago, 1epauletteshark said:

May I point out that your second source is from 2005-2013 and is no longer very reliable as I have done some research on it myself. 

I find it still reliable, actually. I don't think there's anything wrong with the guides we have here on NR. But throwing them both down to promote your guide is...not nice (?) JMO. 

Although I appreciate the research & effort you've put into your guide, and the time you've taken to share it all over various forums, I still think that your version isn't necessarily better than the ones we currently have. There is also the issue of 'research on it myself'. Anyone can do the research, actually. You don't need proper credentials, XX years of experience or a PhD to hit google and quickly look up various site recommendations regarding nanofish stocking, and compare the lists yourself. Also, there's always the forum to ask, if you're unsure about stocking a tank. 👍

I find the issue of tank stocking flexible, really. Each system is different - everything from the way the tank is run to even how we scape it (eg. arches, caves, sandbed/no sandbed etc.) acts as simple determinants of what type of fish can live in a tank. Guides are important, yes, but I personally have never followed them strictly. Some do, some don't too. To each their own. 🌺

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1epauletteshark
3 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

This guide is more comprehensive than a basic list. It can be updated from time to time - so even if it 'lacks a lot of possible species', we can always add it to the list later. If you'd like to recommend anything, we're all ears! 🙂

I find it still reliable, actually. I don't think there's anything wrong with the guides we have here on NR. But throwing them both down to promote your guide is...not nice (?) JMO. 

Although I appreciate the research & effort you've put into your guide, and the time you've taken to share it all over various forums, I still think that your version isn't necessarily better than the ones we currently have. There is also the issue of 'research on it myself'. Anyone can do the research, actually. You don't need proper credentials, XX years of experience or a PhD to hit google and quickly look up various site recommendations regarding nanofish stocking, and compare the lists yourself. Also, there's always the forum to ask, if you're unsure about stocking a tank. 👍

I find the issue of tank stocking flexible, really. Each system is different - everything from the way the tank is run to even how we scape it (eg. arches, caves, sandbed/no sandbed etc.) acts as simple determinants of what type of fish can live in a tank. Guides are important, yes, but I personally have never followed them strictly. Some do, some don't too. To each their own. 🌺

Sorry I didn’t want to give the impression mine is better at all it’s just a quick simple one but the second one stated was just a little different to my research as from what I have researched it is not advised to have a cherub angel in a 10g or scooter blenny in a 10g and other stuff like that. I’ll do my best to suggest anything I see that I have researched that isn’t on the first list, thanks. 

Again I am sorry for the appearance that I was putting the other guides down and saying mine was superior, I don’t think it is at all and it is only up to 30gallons.