SaltCritters.com

Mp10 vs Nero 3?

FrostedShells20

FrostedShells20

Are there any significant differences between the two powerheads? I have a Nero 3 so I was curious to see if it was worth the jump to an MP10 for my new setup.

I recently switched from two Nero 3's to an Mp10. There isn't a lot of performance difference between the two, but the Mp10 is a workhorse compared to the Nero 3's.

Things I liked about the Nero 3's was their small form factor including their small controllers which were easy to tuck away out of sight. The reason I got rid of my Nero 3's, they were too sensitive. Anytime they detected any resistance, they would shut off. Multiple times I wanted to rip them from the tank and bin them. 

The main thing I like about the Mp10, is the ease of cleaning it. I can just grab the wet side from the tank and off to the sink it goes. No cord to worry about. The wet side inside the tank is about the same size as a Nero 3 which is nice. Things I don't like about the Mp10 is the size of the power supply and the controller. They are both huge. This probably isn't an issue for most that have a cabinet under the tank. My tank isn't on a traditional stand so it's difficult to hide stuff.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, MrP said:

Things I don't like about the Mp10 is the size of the power supply and the controller. They are both huge.

100% this.

I use a nero 5 to mix my saltwater and it's a champion. I almost want to swap my mp40s for them but I'm a total ecotech fangirl.

They're both pretty good though. Wouldn't be bad choice going with either.

8 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

I use a nero 5 to mix my saltwater and it's a champion. I almost want to swap my mp40s for them but I'm a total ecotech fangirl.

I have a pair of Nero 5's in another tank and they've been great. The Nero 3's.....meh, not so much. 

• Like 1

I have both. Two mp10 vortechs on my Shallow Reef and a Nero 3 on my waterbox 20 cube. 

The Nero, in my opinion, is the better pump hands down. I regret not having got Nero 5s for my shallow reef (instead of the vortechs). 

Why?

1) Neros form factor is way way smaller, both in the tank and outside. 

2) The vortech is LOUD. So loud. And the Nero runs silent. 

3) The vortechs arent as reliable in terms of the magnets, random fails and reboots (power fail restarts). 

Ive noted that during feed mode or sometimes when switching speeds/settings the inside of vortech will just fall off. The outside will dangle from its wire, afixed to a sitcky mounting point on the glass. I glued my vortechs to the glass to prevent this. But i didnt like doing that.

The Nero doesn't need extra help to stick. Never falls off. And never glitches switching mode. 

I had trouble running the dual vortechs in paired mode. Often id check the tank in the AM and the 'child pump' would be in safe mode and not paired. 

Got so annoying that i unpaired and just run them separate, which seems to be reliable. 

Similar problem post power outtage, sometimes they come back on in safe mode. Its just not the reliability of the Nero. 

4) the Nero can be used 100% underwater, including the magnet side. Which makes it better for back chambers of AIOs. 

5) The Nero comes with a foam cover if your an anemone keeper. 

Hope that helps. The vortech does deliver on flow, but so does the Nero. Im a nero fan for sure after my recent experiences - biggest gripe is that the votech is just tooo loud. 

Happy reefin

1 hour ago, geekreef_05 said:

I have both. Two mp10 vortechs on my Shallow Reef and a Nero 3 on my waterbox 20 cube. 

The Nero, in my opinion, is the better pump hands down. I regret not having got Nero 5s for my shallow reef (instead of the vortechs). 

Why?

1) Neros form factor is way way smaller, both in the tank and outside. 

2) The vortech is LOUD. So loud. And the Nero runs silent. 

3) The vortechs arent as reliable in terms of the magnets, random fails and reboots (power fail restarts). 

Ive noted that during feed mode or sometimes when switching speeds/settings the inside of vortech will just fall off. The outside will dangle from its wire, afixed to a sitcky mounting point on the glass. I glued my vortechs to the glass to prevent this. But i didnt like doing that.

The Nero doesn't need extra help to stick. Never falls off. And never glitches switching mode. 

I had trouble running the dual vortechs in paired mode. Often id check the tank in the AM and the 'child pump' would be in safe mode and not paired. 

Got so annoying that i unpaired and just run them separate, which seems to be reliable. 

Similar problem post power outtage, sometimes they come back on in safe mode. Its just not the reliability of the Nero. 

4) the Nero can be used 100% underwater, including the magnet side. Which makes it better for back chambers of AIOs. 

5) The Nero comes with a foam cover if your an anemone keeper. 

Hope that helps. The vortech does deliver on flow, but so does the Nero. Im a nero fan for sure after my recent experiences - biggest gripe is that the votech is just tooo loud. 

Happy reefin

Sounds like you are using your MP10s outside of their abilities. The thicker the glass the worse the hold is. Also the thicker the glass the louder they seem to be because the wet side will chatter and come out of alignment.

Personally I used MP10s. But Neros weren't out when I had my tank. I'm still going to use 2 MP10s on this tank as having no cords inside my tank is always the goal. The Nero pumps do look absolutely fantastic though.

The one thing I dislike about my MP10 is the driver board size and the external power supply. Both could easily be shrunk to 50% their current size. But Ecotech will never spend the money on that.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say vortechs are loud at all. I’ve had them forever and never had issues. 
my nero5 is louder at 100% then the vortechs are. You can hear the Nero on the other side of the wall and it’s in the room with my furnace/AC. 

demonclownfish

Neither my MP10 or 40 are loud enough to where I'd say I can hear them without trying to hear them. I run reef crest so they're constantly ramping with no issue. The MP10 is going on 9 years old as well with zero issue. No wire in tank = no possibility of voltage leak.

Ya i have them on a tank with thicker glass. Im right at their recommended max of 3/8" 

The noise is definately a result of that.

But as a consumer i feel like...dang, this shouldn't happen, I'm within recommended spec. At the max. 

I feel like the nero 5 would not have had this problem 

• Like 1
FrostedShells20

Is the wet side for the Mp10 pretty similar in size to the Nero 3? I loved my Nero but the ease of maintenance in regards to the mp10 with the swapping of the wet sides is winning me over. Also, in every image the drivers on the Ecotech seems massive so I was curious to see what ya'll think. 

FrostedShells20
8 hours ago, demonclownfish said:

Neither my MP10 or 40 are loud enough to where I'd say I can hear them without trying to hear them. I run reef crest so they're constantly ramping with no issue. The MP10 is going on 9 years old as well with zero issue. No wire in tank = no possibility of voltage leak.

With the Neros I noticed there is a very slight barely noticeable hum. Usually the humming starts when pushed past 60ish percent. 

FrostedShells20
15 hours ago, braaap said:

Sounds like you are using your MP10s outside of their abilities. The thicker the glass the worse the hold is. Also the thicker the glass the louder they seem to be because the wet side will chatter and come out of alignment.

Personally I used MP10s. But Neros weren't out when I had my tank. I'm still going to use 2 MP10s on this tank as having no cords inside my tank is always the goal. The Nero pumps do look absolutely fantastic though.

The one thing I dislike about my MP10 is the driver board size and the external power supply. Both could easily be shrunk to 50% their current size. But Ecotech will never spend the money on that.

The Neros are gorgeous and I love the seafoam green propeller. I heard some were upset with the color choice as it would "draw the viewer's eyes away from the tank and towards the equipment" but for me it didn't matter. IMO sometimes the tech we use is something to be proud of and maybe a little bit of showcasing haha.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Ya i have them on a tank with thicker glass. Im right at their recommended max of 3/8" 

The noise is definately a result of that.

But as a consumer i feel like...dang, this shouldn't happen, I'm within recommended spec. At the max. 

I feel like the nero 5 would not have had this problem 

I do agree. They should make them work on half inch glass but say they only work up to 3/8 or something. Little more magnet strength would help tremendously. 

The Nero won’t have that problem because it’s a totally different principle. It isn’t transferring force through the glass. 

8 hours ago, FrostedShells20 said:

The Neros are gorgeous and I love the seafoam green propeller. I heard some were upset with the color choice as it would "draw the viewer's eyes away from the tank and towards the equipment" but for me it didn't matter. IMO sometimes the tech we use is something to be proud of and maybe a little bit of showcasing haha.

They are too bulky for me inside the tank. I didn’t really like the blade color at first. But it likely looks better than a black blade covered with white and pink coralline. 

Reefing to me is about easy of maintenance.  I have all my cords and power supplys hidden in my stand . Tie wrapped neatly.  Sooooo nice to just be able to pull out the wet side and clean really quick...

On 2/12/2023 at 3:08 AM, FrostedShells20 said:

Is the wet side for the Mp10 pretty similar in size to the Nero 3? I loved my Nero but the ease of maintenance in regards to the mp10 with the swapping of the wet sides is winning me over. Also, in every image the drivers on the Ecotech seems massive so I was curious to see what ya'll think. 

The mp10 is about 4 times the length  of a nero 3. They have approx the same diameter. 

The Nero is so much sleeker. 

On 2/12/2023 at 11:43 AM, braaap said:

I do agree. They should make them work on half inch glass but say they only work up to 3/8 or something. Little more magnet strength would help tremendously. 

The Nero won’t have that problem because it’s a totally different principle. It isn’t transferring force through the glass. 

They are too bulky for me inside the tank. I didn’t really like the blade color at first. But it likely looks better than a black blade covered with white and pink coralline. 

Blade colour grew on me too. 

Style is all opion, but the nero is just far sleeker i find

2 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Blade colour grew on me too. 

Style is all opion, but the nero is just far sleeker i find

You think a wire INSIDE of the display is sleeker? Maybe dimensions are smaller but I haven't looked into it.

Compared to running a wire above the vortech unit and sticking it to the outside glass, then run it along the waterline and off the tank,  as per the vortech instructions? 

Yes, definately the nero is sleeker

I'd choose MP any day, and this is coming from someone who has used both brands of powerheads extensively. The reefcrest mode is killer, and the fact you don't have to dismantle all the wires to clean the powerhead is wonderful. Both are good, but MP is a winner in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
10 minutes ago, geekreef_05 said:

Compared to running a wire above the vortech unit and sticking it to the outside glass, then run it along the waterline and off the tank,  as per the vortech instructions? 

Yes, definately the nero is sleeker

But you still have to do all of that with the nero. And then you have a wire in the tank. 

Everytime I've had an MP series pump on my tank I just ran the wire horizontally. It is actually the better method as it doesn't put strain on the wire.

I appreciate your opinion. And I see very little wrong with the Nero. I just want to see all the viewpoints. Because they do look like good little wavemakers.

• Like 1

The vortech manual says to hang it from above, so if the unit breaks free it doesn't fall. 

Since i have those problems with mine, i hung it from above and im glad i did, cause it doesnt fall when it used to occasionally come loose (prior to being glued). 

The nero manual does not have those restrictions. You can point the chord in any direction. No mounting stickys really required.