SaltCritters.com

❤️🏚️The Love Shack🏚️❤️

PJPS

We picked up a studio 12 to rehome the leather and have a nice, easy, lower flow tank.

The current plans are to get the gfci, inkbird & heater, tank full of rodi water, make sure it doesn’t leak, add Red Sea blu bucket, then let it mix.  Add the ocean direct and life rock, add some fresh and some seasoned biomedia (MP gems),  add a teaspoon of Life Source mud, .5ml nopox, and let it cook a few days.

Next will be pods, phytoplankton, a seachem ammonia badge, a bunch of softies from the SPS tank, and begin searching for inverts, fish, and coral.  The light only go on with the addition of coral.

We’ll update with photos as it proceeds.

If you want to follow the details (including livestock) https://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/shieldspj/3/

Free plug for aquatic log.  Easily the best tank journal.  I’m super poor (government disability pension) and I gleefully get the pro.  But everyone that logs anything (chemistry/biology/livestock) you can track whatever minutiae, or big picture it.  I love it, and the free version does all the vital parts.  But if you run an apex, and feel the built in trackin is lacking the upgrade may well be worth it.  I like that it pulls my trident info.  It lets me share the intimate details of my tank.

• Like 6

Here’s the detailed plan for the first 72h.  

Keep in mind the GFCI is already there (if you’re running your aquarium through a non-GFCI protected circuit you’re begging to be electrocuted, there’s a reason it’s building code for everything near water).  The Kallax shelf is levelled and secured to the wall with brackets.  The inkbird is also setup with alarms etc.  no controller for this tank other than that.  And a HomeKit compatible socket for the return, so I can turn it on and off with a mobile device, like everything else.

1. Unbox the tank, get it situated, install the return pump.
  2. Fill with RODI and check for leaks (RODI does 0 damage I’ve found, salt water on the other hand).
  3. Add the heater and inkbird temp probe and get the return going.
  4. Add salt & let it mix and get to temp.
  5. Add all the different bacteria sources. Media from the SPS tank mixed with new Marine Pure Gems (I just have them, any porous material will do), Ocean Direct sand, unseasoned Caribsea Liferock (I don’t consider this a useful source btw), 1 tsp Aquaforest life source mud (gets stuck in rock crevices and biomedia).  Dose .5ml nopox to feed all the bacteria.
  6. Let it cook 36 hours or more

The mechanical filtration stays out for now.

• Like 3

Sound plan, I like it 👍

That’s nuts how much bumblebee snails cost there! I ordered a bunch from ReefCleaners for my Biocube 32 because I have a major vermetid issue in there. And your comments inspired me to transfer one of the snails to my Studio 12 to try to prevent an infestation there, so thanks!

33 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Sound plan, I like it 👍

That’s nuts how much bumblebee snails cost there! I ordered a bunch from ReefCleaners for my Biocube 32 because I have a major vermetid issue in there. And your comments inspired me to transfer one of the snails to my Studio 12 to try to prevent an infestation there, so thanks!

Great to hear 😊.  I recommend needle nose pliers or bone cutters to kill any existing ones over a few weeks as the bumbles get in their groove.  Eventually you’ll notice they don’t come back.  Good luck 👍🏻, it can be tedious to crush them at first.  You’ll be sure you got them all, only to find that you didn’t.  Several times..

I’d put 3 in your 12 to start.  I find most predators are far more effective in teams.  They should be fine living on excess fish food, I wouldn’t worry on that front.

Yes, I break them off in the 32 when I do water changes… I just do it by hand though; I find them by touch… and I have maybe six bumblebees in there.

27 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yes, I break them off in the 32 when I do water changes… I just do it by hand though; I find them by touch… and I have maybe six bumblebees in there.

That would be my literal exact advice 🤘🏻🍻but the crushing raises the fatality rates I’d imagine 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PJPS said:

That would be my literal exact advice 🤘🏻🍻but the crushing raises the fatality rates I’d imagine 😉

Maybe, but I’d be dangerous wielding my bone cutters or needlenose pliers in my tank… likely do way more damage than the vermetids. On the bright side, the spikes make my boring encrusting monti look much more interesting because it looks like the coral is branching 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Maybe, but I’d be dangerous wielding my bone cutters or needlenose pliers in my tank… likely do way more damage than the vermetids. On the bright side, the spikes make my boring encrusting monti look much more interesting because it looks like the coral is branching 

MExcellent splitting the difference, and finding an upside. 👍🏻✊🏻🐒AKA “the zen of reefing”

Also, ecrusting coral over vermited texture is boss move.  Never thought of that, and I‘for stealing the idea 🍻

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, PJPS said:

Tank has landed

😁😁😁

edit: the mystery of the stock pump has been solved. If you’re trying to open the stock pump, there is a clip on the bottom of the pump holding the two pieces together.

Congrats, looking forward to seeing it.

And true… I posted pics of it in Deb’s thread… I’ll add to mine for easy reference 👍

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Congrats, looking forward to seeing it.

And true… I posted pics of it in my thread and Deb’s 👍

I guess I never got to that part 🍻.  I warned my SO it was really hard to do, and she came in 30 seconds later saying there’s just a clip on the bottom.

Hopefully it’s wet tomorrow, it arrived a bit late in the day.  Due to my MS, I’m in bed by 6 just to ensure I have the energy to transfer.

• Like 1

Glad she was able to get it apart more easily than me and Deb… we both had a tough time. 

I didn’t realize you have MS… that would definitely add an additional challenge to reefing. 

4 hours ago, banasophia said:

Glad she was able to get it apart more easily than me and Deb… we both had a tough time. 

I didn’t realize you have MS… that would definitely add an additional challenge to reefing. 

She does the physical stuff, in return I’m expected to do the dryer science side.  The feline and plants are similar.  8h of university botany on succulents makes even the most isoteric reef related topic pretty fascinating.  But you do end up a bit of an insufferable wanker with something to say about everything.  So I’m gonna stick to.my own tthreads, as that on top of the often gruff sounding responses from… ever voice typed “on my way home” and had to correct it? Try paragraphs.  I often stop when it’ll get the point across, not necessarily my demeanour.  Punctuation is often crazy, it’s also why I’m forever editing posts.

👨‍🦼✊🏻

• Like 1

Wooohoooo, here we gooooo…. congrats on the start! Seems like it may need a Valentines Day name… could be the Love Casa… like Love Shack, but from Reef Casa. 😁

Which reminds me I haven’t posted the theme song for my Studio 12 yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Alriiiight, here we gooooo…. congrats on the start! Seems like it may need a Valentines Day name… could be the Love Casa… like Love Shack, but from Reef Casa. 😁

Which reminds me I haven’t posted the theme song for my Studio 12 yet.

I like Love Shack ❤️. Stellar!  Love Casa is clunky, and March isn’t sponsoring this 🐒

Thanks for offering your opinion 👍🏻👌🏼

• Like 1
  • PJPS changed the title to ❤️ The Love Shack ❤️
17 minutes ago, PJPS said:

I like Love Shack ❤️. Stellar!  Love Casa is clunky, and March isn’t sponsoring this 🐒

Yeah! You’re right, love casa sounds a little weird… I think it would be like casa de amor in Spanish… my Spanish is pretty rusty though. Goin with love shack is awesome… what a great day for a new start!

• Thanks 1

Had to rush things a lot (not the plan).  Woke up to another dying acro, the leather was going to figure out life in the love shack, or meet the bin I'm sorry to say.  So we're now doing a wee experiment.  If I throw my knowledge at this softy tank, can I get softies to live in a tank that's had a 12h cycle.  We're all going to find out.

e: pods ordered.  Not my usual, their website is borked at present.  So Canada Copepods it is.  I’ve used them before, and they’re not bad, but they aren’t as good as the CAMPods. 🤞🏼. Added 4l conditioned water from the SPS tank.  Added a few mls of a phyto/reef roids/benepets slurry.

This is to raise nutrients off 0, and give the coral SOMETHING in the water, and whatever probiotic is in the benepets can’t hurt the bacterial diversity.  (It’s almost assuredly useless, but I doubt it’s harmful)

e2: any Canadian users know where to buy a good custom polycarb lid?  The ReefCasa lid is wildly inadequate.  It has nano fish sized gaps all the way around.  I wasted $50, this lid is unusable for anything but keeping the cat out.  I don’t trust it to keep nano fish in.

0A27B105-6401-4536-BB57-A4C741A8D4B7.jpeg

• PJPS changed the title to ❤️🏚️The Love Shack🏚️❤️