Innovative Marine Aquariums

❤️🏚️The Love Shack🏚️❤️

PJPS

On 2/17/2023 at 11:46 AM, PJPS said:

Microdermabrasion treatment was a success (or enough time passed lol), either way, the leather is half out.  Still bent at the waist after surgery, but coming back strong (woohoo, I like it a lot).  Pics later, SO is training a new hire over the internets in that room at present.

Leather is out a bit, everythins is fluffy.  gorgs are on the sand as rattling loose in the rock caused tissue damage where it rubbed on the rock.  Pretty happy with how everything looks today.  Just been putting in 1ml gumbo (phyto/probiotic/nano LRS) every 2 days.  photo will be later today 🤞the leather stays out.

• Like 2

Getting slight diatoms or dinos (don’t care enough to find out).  I’m not generating the algae I’m after.  Hitting it with a bit of a nutrient bomb (10-15ml phyto & 1/8 tsp RR). That should promote some funk, and deal with dinos if that’s what it is.  It looks like diatoms, but thers an air bubble in one.  Such a new tank I can’t rule escaping air in or out, so I’ll rule out the dinos.

There’s critters coming Tuesday, gotta build grime.  I have backups if there’s not enough crud by then (powdered foods & algae pucks).

Aqua Splendor

Sorry for the late reply, what are the questions/discussions? Sorry can't read all the topic

If I can summarize: Everyone has their own path.

- My path is more towards finding balance within nature if I remember correctly 10 000 years ago they didn't have products... But hey, could be wrong.
- The majority of information found "Quickly" on the internet is often inaccurate/false or to promote X Y Z, it's just insane in our hobby how bad it is. People are lazy (sorry, I'm too...) and don't spend time to make proper research so whatever answer they get that is easy to understand they will believe it because it comforts them and they have other stuff in their life to take care of. Bad and False information is getting more prominent over the years since people are always finding a way to make money out of something. In the end, money is a corrupter of science and information, Einstein was right, time = money.
- My tolerance threshold with some companies has been reached, which means also with influencers and I'm fighting against this but more in the future about this. I have a plan (that will take a few decades....)
- At the same time, some of my videos are not absolutely correct, after reading more scientific documentation there's more grey area than I thought... (Some of my information were taken from Wiki and some of it are not totally accurate but still valid, this is where I had to make sacrifices with my time when doing a video, and some information were impossible to verify...) It's like anything when you look at what you did in the past you wish you did X Y Z things to make it better.

- My aquariums are not perfect examples, time is limited and often I have to rush things to make something happen which is not ideal in reefing. I keep my hand in water all the time in the beginning then when I think the baby can walk I let it go and natures take over.
- I don't have the money like most reefers, so you've seen in my videos I often have small badly shaped coral but it's something I personally love, it's a bit of a challenge to bring back a coral from where it was to where it's now. I need some challenge otherwise I get bored.

- In the end, your aquarium needs to be well-linked to your lifestyle, this is what makes the difference in the long term.
- I try to promote corals and fish that are easily available and easy to keep in general. (At least as much as I can)

- Water change

- Keep Alkalinity stable (especially with any hard coral)
- Have a regular maintenance routine, your ecosystem will be adapted to your maintenance
- Everything evolves, nothing is set in stone

- Your cat is epic
- Your tank seems to be on the right path

- Diatom will go away over time, I wouldn't worry, there's prey and predator for anything, the ecosystem takes many months

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Aqua Splendor said:

Sorry for the late reply, what are the questions/discussions? Sorry can't read all the topic

If I can summarize: Everyone has their own path.

- My path is more towards finding balance within nature if I remember correctly 10 000 years ago they didn't have products... But hey, could be wrong.
- The majority of information found "Quickly" on the internet is often inaccurate/false or to promote X Y Z, it's just insane in our hobby how bad it is. People are lazy (sorry, I'm too...) and don't spend time to make proper research so whatever answer they get that is easy to understand they will believe it because it comforts them and they have other stuff in their life to take care of. Bad and False information is getting more prominent over the years since people are always finding a way to make money out of something. In the end, money is a corrupter of science and information, Einstein was right, time = money.
- My tolerance threshold with some companies has been reached, which means also with influencers and I'm fighting against this but more in the future about this. I have a plan (that will take a few decades....)
- At the same time, some of my videos are not absolutely correct, after reading more scientific documentation there's more grey area than I thought... (Some of my information were taken from Wiki and some of it are not totally accurate but still valid, this is where I had to make sacrifices with my time when doing a video, and some information were impossible to verify...) It's like anything when you look at what you did in the past you wish you did X Y Z things to make it better.

- My aquariums are not perfect examples, time is limited and often I have to rush things to make something happen which is not ideal in reefing. I keep my hand in water all the time in the beginning then when I think the baby can walk I let it go and natures take over.
- I don't have the money like most reefers, so you've seen in my videos I often have small badly shaped coral but it's something I personally love, it's a bit of a challenge to bring back a coral from where it was to where it's now. I need some challenge otherwise I get bored.

- In the end, your aquarium needs to be well-linked to your lifestyle, this is what makes the difference in the long term.
- I try to promote corals and fish that are easily available and easy to keep in general. (At least as much as I can)

- Water change

- Keep Alkalinity stable (especially with any hard coral)
- Have a regular maintenance routine, your ecosystem will be adapted to your maintenance
- Everything evolves, nothing is set in stone

- Your cat is epic
- Your tank seems to be on the right path

- Diatom will go away over time, I wouldn't worry, there's prey and predator for anything, the ecosystem takes many months

Um, sorry to be all fanboy but “omg aqua splendor is in my thread!” *shrieking*

Trying to grow the diatoms for Regi’s pods & amphipods coming Tuesday 😊.  Not worried in the least 😊

Long story long… I have another tank that’s mainly SPS. The leather used to be in that until it started wiping out all my acros. It took out like six. I figured out it was the leather because the pattern of destruction radiated out from that.

I really like the leather so we set up a small tank for it. I’m doing sort of a speed run on the biology after doing a bunch of research… legitimate scientific research I should add. The plan is basically just super charged to biology and have a mature system within a week. No complicated animals and I tend to feed with a shovel.  Basically building the food chain from bacteria to macro grazers in one big soup.

The bacteria had 4 vectors and has been going for days.  Sleep carbon dose boost.  There is a ammonia badge on the front and I’ve been feeding it to try and trip the badge and see if the the nitrogen cycle is going. Hasn’t budged yet and I’ve been feeding the tank daily.

I believe I’ve done enough research to try this responsibly and wouldn’t do it otherwise. I hope this meets your comfort level. As much as that’s possible to do with an Internet stranger 😜

sorry for any crazy punctuation/spelling. I am profoundly disabled with MS and

use voice typing primarily it’s not the greatest punctuation. Like right there.

I live on my significant others meagre income, and an Ontario disability pension, and understand the being poor aspect of all of this ✊🏻

• Like 1
Aqua Splendor

Do you have pictures of your other tank ? Curious to see
It's freaking hard to determine what causes the death of something, but if you think it's leather, do you run a good amount of carbon? Many SPS are sensible to swing, especially with alkalinity (Don't ask me why biology speaking, I don't understand it). When something happens, remember what happens 1-3 weeks before, there's often a delay.

and have a mature system within a week.

I'm going to stop you right there, ain't happening hehehhe

It takes a minimum of a year, there are so many microorganisms that appear/die before it gets balanced. The key word is balance, 

For example, sponges filter water, which helps to stabilize the water (one tiny part of million others) but it takes time to develop.

Cycle an aquarium within a week that on the other hand yeah, no problem.

The ass imprint on the sofa of Homer Simpson took many years.
The first year is the hardest, but after this, it gets easier.

I personally struggle keeping a tank stable at times, there's always something with reef aquariums lol, it's like chocolate, I know I shouldn't eat a lot of them, I know the effect, and yet...

I like your big soup!
Don't worry about punctuation/spelling, I'm french lol

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Aqua Splendor said:

Do you have pictures of your other tank ? Curious to see
It's freaking hard to determine what causes the death of something, but if you think it's leather, do you run a good amount of carbon? Many SPS are sensible to swing, especially with alkalinity (Don't ask me why biology speaking, I don't understand it). When something happens, remember what happens 1-3 weeks before, there's often a delay.

I'm going to stop you right there, ain't happening hehehhe

It takes a minimum of a year, there are so many microorganisms that appear/die before it gets balanced. The key word is balance, 

For example, sponges filter water, which helps to stabilize the water (one tiny part of million others) but it takes time to develop.

Cycle an aquarium within a week that on the other hand yeah, no problem.

The ass imprint on the sofa of Homer Simpson took many years.
The first year is the hardest, but after this, it gets easier.

I personally struggle keeping a tank stable at times, there's always something with reef aquariums lol, it's like chocolate, I know I shouldn't eat a lot of them, I know the effect, and yet...

I like your big soup!
Don't worry about punctuation/spelling, I'm french lol

You can read the gory details, but yes I ran 2 types of carbon.  The dying stopped the day after we pulled the leather.  Alk Consumption rose considerably after 5 SPS died, and the softies were pulled.  I can’t think of anything else that fits 🤷🏻‍♂️

Update: phosphate came back 0.0.  15ml phyto, 1/8tsp RR nutrient bomb deployed.  Hopefully we get some algae growth and stop any dino ideations this tank may be contemplating.

Dosed 1tsp of lifesource mud to storm the rock crevices with bacteris covered fine particles, and exfoliate the leather some more (it didn’t hurt anything last time.

We’ll be water changing a gallon of the love shack’s water down the drain, replaced with a gallon of SPS tank water, the sps tank will get clean water (it has fish, so it’s the clean water priority.  If my fish aren’t active, I’ll do water changes until they ddo.  When it’s perfect, my clowns play in the flow, the goby is calmly active by their den, my royal gramma is less of a brat than usual.  So that’s wher I try to keep it.  Auto water changes make this exceedingly easy.  +1 disability cheat

👩🏻‍🦽

Still no mechanical filtration, haven’t added anyting I want to remove.  Had a pad fror 4  hours the morning after adding the sand and floculant. That’s it.

cranking light intesity today, see if I can’t get some diatoms or algae or both to get here NOW (not that,I’m on edge 😅)

Leather has straitened up and has it's tentacle/polyps extended ~1".  It's still shrunken up compared to when it was in sticks & stones, but this is a big improvement.  Brown dusting on the sand, diatoms, algae, mud, don't care, it's something on the sand for critters tomorrow.

Might do another RR bomb tonight, really get some algae going.  The dino look disappeared, so either it wasn't dinos (my hunch) or the PO4 did the trick, don't care, just don't want a dino fight.

Things look way better today.

Afternoon: that dino looking stuff is back, so since I'm also trying to grow algae I hit it with another RR bomb.  1/4 tsp RR in 10ml SPS tank water (has nutrients for sure).  Turned off the return, so 0 flow, everything sitting in a fine mist of RR.  Turns out it's Family Day here in Canada, so the livestock will be here Wednesday.  I have an extra day to grow algae.  Running a fuller spectrum after realizing heavy blue won't grow much algae.

E: Of course the leather decides it's too scawwy in the mighty flow of the generic pump 🙄.  "You used to be tough, you ate the flow of 2 mp10s for breakfast.  Now kindergarten tank is too much? You  disgust me 🧐"

E2: they’ve come back out… “that’s my brave little soldier 🙄

E3:  Bombing run successful, po4=0.53 so I can let that dwindle until the livestock is in.  We’ll test it again this weekend, 0.530 should be plenty to last till then 😂

No photo today, but dino/diatoms are visible on the sand, the leather is 60%, mushrooms and gsp are REALLY happy, gorgs are 25% extended.  Assuming/hoping the sand is more grimy tomorrow.  There’s going to be all predation levels but the fish, so either stuff grows or I (annoyingly) need to feed all those janitors all the time.

Reef is looking dope dude! 

Im interested to see how this develops with the heavy feeding to promote algae growth, prior to inhabitants. Its an approach ive never seen before, which perks up my curiosity. And im looking forward to seeing what inhabitants are coming this week as well! 

Im also curious about your future filteration plans. Will it eventually have mechanical filteration? Or will this be like an Aqua Splendor natural balance? 

3 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

Im interested to see how this develops with the heavy feeding to promote algae growth, prior to inhabitants. Its an approach ive never seen before, which perks up my curiosity. And im looking forward to seeing what inhabitants are coming this week as well! 

Im also curious about your future filteration plans. Will it eventually have mechanical filteration? Or will this be like an Aqua Splendor natural balance? 

I''ll add mechanical (floss) when I feed frozen fish food (when I  get a fish.  Until then the only filtration will be biological.  I want stuff in the water constantly to mimick the ocean's steady particulate stream.  

Sand and rock are gross brown today, just as hoped.  I'll get a photo s no one thinks I'm making it up.  Pods & amphipods go in tonight, bigger critters tomorrow.  Hopefully they'll sort stuff out in short order.  It won't be overnight, but it shouldn't take forever.  Key, nothing very long/stringy yet.  Anything like that I'll likely manually have to remove.  I'm aiming to feed the critters, if I over did it, I'll course correct in a few days, and post it here.  I was expecting pods yesterday, so it's slightly mucked my timing, but only by 24h.

6 hours ago, geekreef_05 said:

If you want a head start, this will be the stocking by tomorrow evening.

https://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/shieldspj/3/inhabitants

my significant other got out her microscope to check for dinos, no dinos 😊.  Which means it’s critter food😀… this will be interesting over the next week.  Hopefully this will be a much nicer ride and money, much better spent On cool things rather than potions and other expensive fixes that don’t work.

Some learnin’

https://www.livingoceansfoundation.org/education/portal/course/food-web/#feeding-strategies

https://www.livingoceansfoundation.org/education/portal/course/food-web/#food-chain

interesting insight here… your tank wants to be an algae farm just from a biomass perspective.  Compare primary producers (algae) with primary consumers (pods/snails/etc).  You’ll notice from a mass perspective there’s not a huge difference.  Don’t be shy with snails, the environment you’re creating wants to provide food for them, which left uneaten becomes the algae you hate.

https://www.livingoceansfoundation.org/education/portal/course/food-web/#ecological-pyramids

That’s a good point - in regards to my CUC.  I add things based on the amounts and types of algae present.   I mentioned in my thread I had some Ulva, after the addition of my emerald crab it’s disappearing.  Hair algae - trochus/astea/cerith.  My hermits have been doing a good job filling in the gaps. 

If we’re aiming for the appropriate nutrient levels, we’re going to have algae it’s almost inevitable. Best to figure out how to live with it, by a preference of biological removal strategies.  

• Agree 1

Here’s an action shot of a snail getting to work two minutes after being introduced.  The purple is bare rock he’s exposed after eating the grime on top.

F095AF00-0BDC-4F7C-8BEC-DC656480A5AC.thumb.jpeg.18e12518f12c61814b043260ce49dabc.jpeg

everything is in, photo is coming a bit later.  I added mechanical filtration for a day or two, I may have grown a bit too much grime😂. The floss was in for 30 minutes, and was a deep, rich brown.  There is certainly enough food now to keep all these critters going.  In retrospect, I would’ve got an extra five snails. Had I known I’d be this effective.

• PJPS changed the title to ❤️🏚️The Love Shack🏚️❤️