ReefCleaners.org

Reef Casa Studio 12

PJPS

Seriously considering a studio 12 as a second easy nano.  I have all of my own crap (rock, sand, bio media, floss, light, salt, heater & inkbird, ato, etc).  But I would need a return pump.  Anyone know if just the tank, has an adjustable return pump?  It’s going to be my low maintenance, separate my leathers from my SPS tank.

The IM 20 is too small for a big leather and some delicate SPS.  It’s (expensive) murdering spree stops at 2. why is it the suspect?  Because the two acros I’ve lost have been the two closest to the leather and each time they stripped. It’s the day after the leather has done it’s day of grumpiness.  No amount of carbon.(ROX OR Reefspec) changed every few days puts an end to it.

As the leather gets bigger, it looks better and better. So I don’t want to give it a haircut, but I definitely want it to stop killing everything as it gets bigger and bigger. It’s now reached some critical size where when it gets grumpy and sheds, it seems to kill the next closest SPS.

so, in the meantime, I’m moving all of the SPS to the far side of the tank.  Does anyone have anything to report regarding seams or glass quality?  12G all over a desk still sucks, although not house destroying.

Dirty bastard on the left…

1025AD1E-8FF2-41C5-ACB7-D85660B54043.thumb.jpeg.a0911d4c8f1e7b785abfab61100f1077.jpeg

• Like 1

The studio 12 tank only sells for 159. The pump that came with my tank. Is not shown on the web site. They do have that pump, but you would have to e-mail them for real info.  Iknow you know I replaced mine with something else. I will say once again I love the tank. Especially like the chamber set up. 

• Like 2

Ah nice, congrats on the new tank! I love the tank and I seem to be getting some good coral growth with the Halo light. Did you order one of their lights?

I think the tank typically comes with a stock pump that has fairly high flow (around 200 gph) for a 12 gallon tank. It doesn’t seem to be adjustable. @debbeach13 and I both had difficulty taking it apart to clean it, but it it did come apart and you can check out our threads for info on how to get it apart when the time comes. 

11 hours ago, PJPS said:

Also, looking at putting on top of a half hight ikea kallax.  Anyone else doing that?

Yes, that’s what I use and it’s a perfect fit. I added the door inserts to hide all my equipment and supplies.

I did swap out my original 2x4 Kallax I owned for two 2x2s side by side just so I could have the long edges on the top and bottom and the thicker sides halfway across, thinking it would be stronger that way to support the weight of a tank… not sure how much that will matter with this tank since it’s probably only about 100 lbs when full, but I always like to err on the side of caution. 
9D9CBFB2-4A18-4292-ABF0-6CD74E774D60.thumb.jpeg.9bd18329926578c2898ef7c57b9e9c5b.jpeg

51100B98-7993-42ED-AC0F-06CD49B8126E.thumb.jpeg.948c663e00e2fd658e835ddfa6ecf16e.jpeg

I talk about the stand in my blog post here if you want to check it out:

https://banasophia.com/setting-up-a-nano-reef-tank-reef-casas-studio-12-aquarium-saltwater-setup-kit/

• Like 2
7 hours ago, banasophia said:

Ah nice, congrats on the new tank! I love the tank and I seem to be getting some good coral growth with the Halo light. Did you order one of their lights?

I think the tank typically comes with a stock pump that has fairly high flow (around 200 gph) for a 12 gallon tank. It doesn’t seem to be adjustable. @debbeach13 and I both had difficulty taking it apart to clean it, but it it did come apart and you can check out our threads for info on how to get it apart when the time comes. 

No, I had an AI prime lying around😊

I assume the stock return is trash, the plan is to replace it with a sicce once it matters.  For the first six weeks, I kind of don’t care, I just need it to move water through the system.  Unless it’s annoyingly loud at which point sicce will probably come sooner.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PJPS said:

No, I had an AI prime lying around😊

I assume the stock return is trash, the plan is to replace it with a sicce once it matters.  For the first six weeks, I kind of don’t care, I just need it to move water through the system.  Unless it’s annoyingly loud at which point sicce will probably come sooner.

I had an issue with the pump being really noisy in the beginning, like a vibration, and I had a sicce on hand to swap it out, but it ended up quieting down before I swapped it out and it seems to work just fine now. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, banasophia said:

I had an issue with the pump being really noisy in the beginning, like a vibration, and I had a sicce on hand to swap it out, but it ended up quieting down before I swapped it out and it seems to work just fine now. 

Most pumps (fancy or trashy), I find need up to week to break in.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Just bumping this to see how everyone is liking the Studio 12. I have a Flat 6 setup as a shroom lagoon, and I'm in the process of ordering a Studio 12 now for a dedicated SPS tank. I was going to do it in a Nuvo 10 I already have, but the Studio has more room in all the right places, so I'm going that way instead.

• Like 1
banasophia

Still love mine too. 🙂 Been really busy due to getting laid off then starting a new job, but my tank is still doing well despite getting limited attention and my new job is finally slowing down a bit so hopefully I’ll be able to devote more time to it in coming weeks.

Congrats on the new tank! I think you’ll be happy with your choice.