inTank Media Baskets

Woot! Great budget light or maybe a bust?

daniejd

21 hours ago, daniejd said:

Putting together a 20L lps/softie tank on a budget. While boating down the Amazon for a light, ran across this, pulled the trigger (there was only 1 in stock). What do you think did I strike gold, or bust? Light won’t be here until Wednesday so who knows what will actually arrive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P03XIFQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

LOL.  You don't ask AFTER the purchase!  

Looks like a decent planted tank light for a small tank.  If you wanted to use it on a reef, you'd want some kind of blue supplemental lighting.

Strangely, the smaller models have a better blue:white ratio, but still would benefit from some blue supplementation.

I tried to find the actual description on their site and they don't even mention what nm the LEDS are.

I'm a little skeptical of it being advertised as "full spectrum" but it doesn't define what that means.

Especially when we know what nm values are the most photosyntehically usable (410, 430, 453, 642, 652 peaks for Clorphyll A and B)/ideal/traditionally appealable.

Will it work? Probably, but we shall see for sure!

1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

I tried to find the actual description on their site and they don't even mention what nm the LEDS are.

I'm a little skeptical of it being advertised as "full spectrum" but it doesn't define what that means.

Especially when we know what nm values are the most photosyntehically usable (410, 430, 453, 642, 652 peaks for Clorphyll A and B)/ideal/traditionally appealable.

Will it work? Probably, but we shall see for sure!

A little skeptical?! What could go wrong? Full spectrum using only white and blue leds? Being an older light that was only sold for a few years? Being 100 dollars cheaper than the 24” variety but six inches longer (no jokes please too easy)?

But with all that in mind, it is still just 29 bucks! Or as we say these days “cheaper than two cartons of free range eggs”.

All joking aside I’m giving 50/50 that is the product advertised and all the leds turn on. I’ll post what arrives lol.

• Like 1

There are tons of all-blue strips out there...and they come in all types and forms so you can get what you want.  

Needing some blue isn't the end of the world.  👍

For the price I would try it. 🙂 

I have softies growing and old freshwater ai prime (not the 16). They are growing fast, just look brown is all. Happily brown. 

Keep us updated. 

Well I received it, and as expected not what was advertised! Did the lights work? Yep. Was it new? Yep. Did it put out enough light? Oh yeah! Since the tank is a 20L for LPS and softies I was wanting 50-75 par at the bottom (roughly 12” from top of the tank). It puts out 157 par at 12”! So what’s the problem? Well it wasn’t 30”, or even 24” or 36” which I might have tried making work. Oh no this bad boy was the 48” model! Oh well, C’est la vie.

Still looking for a win, so instead of returning it for 29 bucks, I’m going to swing by my LFS see if he is willing to trade for some instore credit for it. If that doesn’t work out I’ll just send it back.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

For the price I would try it. 🙂 

I have softies growing and old freshwater ai prime (not the 16). They are growing fast, just look brown is all. Happily brown. 

Keep us updated. 

Thank you my thoughts exactly! A like minded fiscal warrior!

14 hours ago, daniejd said:

Well I received it, and as expected not what was advertised! Did the lights work? Yep. Was it new? Yep. Did it put out enough light? Oh yeah! Since the tank is a 20L for LPS and softies I was wanting 50-75 par at the bottom (roughly 12” from top of the tank). It puts out 157 par at 12”! So what’s the problem? Well it wasn’t 30”, or even 24” or 36” which I might have tried making work. Oh no this bad boy was the 48” model! Oh well, C’est la vie.

Still looking for a win, so instead of returning it for 29 bucks, I’m going to swing by my LFS see if he is willing to trade for some instore credit for it. If that doesn’t work out I’ll just send it back.

Sounds like a great $30 light tbh. Too bad it shows out of stock now. 

48"? Like the light part is 48? Or the legs? 

Did they send an entirely wrong light? 

out of the box thinking... just get a 40 gallon long and change the tank instead of the light 😅

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Sounds like a great $30 light tbh. Too bad it shows out of stock now. 

48"? Like the light part is 48? Or the legs? 

Did they send an entirely wrong light? 

out of the box thinking... just get a 40 gallon long and change the tank instead of the light 😅

Yeah wrong light, it was advertised as a 30” light (the light body being 30”), what they sent has a light body of 48”. What got my attention was the 1 watt leds, so more punching power than the normal cheap bar lights.

5 hours ago, daniejd said:

My LFS guy gave me more store credit than I paid for the light, so hopefully a win win for everyone. The 20L budget build continues! 

haha, nice! If it comes back in stock, I am tempted to order to see what shows up. 

• Like 1

Classic situation. 

Lights are probably the one thing that's worthwhile spending money on. 

That said here is low cost solution by a known manufacturer:

Fluval SEA Marine Nano LED Aquarium Lighting with Bluetooth, 20 Watts https://a.co/d/4oIz72J

Ive used coralife brand lights in the past when i was in a pinch. Not cheap, but not expensive...and i think that medium range lights are great for sofie tanks. 

23 minutes ago, geekreef_05 said:

Classic situation. 

Lights are probably the one thing that's worthwhile spending money on. 

That said here is low cost solution by a known manufacturer:

Fluval SEA Marine Nano LED Aquarium Lighting with Bluetooth, 20 Watts https://a.co/d/4oIz72J

Ive used coralife brand lights in the past when i was in a pinch. Not cheap, but not expensive...and i think that medium range lights are great for sofie tanks. 

You mean this one?DEF6CDFD-8ED3-4318-B62D-905F6CCDD56E.thumb.jpeg.5b188d0769840bd5aba7a218debda242.jpegI have 3 😉 . New tank is a different design so didnt think it would work as well.