SaltCritters.com

Weir cover ideas (goby going through weirs)

katsreef

My goby is so tiny that it slipped through the weirs. I currently have mesh but I think the mesh is so tiny that it it is also blocking flow back into the rear chambers and making my ato dump water in to keep up… 

so before I flood my house or lose my goby again, what do you guys use to cover / guard your weirs?

6BFA440C-9C72-4BCE-8DE6-32EF73DF4BE7.thumb.jpeg.63f49a3df5d2d30afc9685ec9d59d40d.jpeg

Well I’m guessing the mesh as you have it would be fine, but if flow is a problem, just lifting it off the weirs with a frame just a 1/4” should fix it (all those holes being blocked by the weir bar directly behind will now be open for water).

On 1/30/2023 at 8:23 AM, katsreef said:

My goby is so tiny that it slipped through the weirs. I currently have mesh but I think the mesh is so tiny that it it is also blocking flow back into the rear chambers and making my ato dump water in to keep up…

A picture of what you have going on may help.

BUT, if I'm getting what you're saying...

Slowing the flow of your weir isn't going to cause a flood.  (Hopefully your tank is designed against that kind of flood!  Is the top of your weir/false wall LOWER than the glass of the tank?  safe  Or is it at the same level as the glass? flood risk)

All it SHOULD do is slow things down...

...which will have the side-effect of slightly raising the water level in the display...

...which will slightly lower the water level in your return section...

...which will kick on the ATO until the level is back where it should be.  

Then everything should be fine.  Double-check salinity if it seems like a lot of fresh went in.

5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

A picture of what you have going on may help.

BUT, if I'm getting what you're saying...

Slowing the flow of your weir isn't going to cause a flood.  (Hopefully your tank is designed against that kind of flood!  Is the top of your weir/false wall LOWER than the glass of the tank?  safe  Or is it at the same level as the glass? flood risk)

All it SHOULD do is slow things down...

...which will have the side-effect of slightly raising the water level in the display...

...which will slightly lower the water level in your return section...

...which will kick on the ATO until the level is back where it should be.  

Then everything should be fine.  Double-check salinity if it seems like a lot of fresh went in.

I ended up using a plastic canvas sheet (the ones people do cross stitching with). Works amazing with keeping the flow going and keeping my goby out of the weirs! Thankfully salinity didn’t drop much

• Like 2