Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cyano in new tank

BioReefed

7 hours ago, growsomething said:

Give the latest reefbum podcast a listen.  He has on Julian Sprung talking about algae control.  He seems to focus on Calcium and alkalinity  for both coral care and algal prevention.

https://www.youtube.com/live/2M6T9XpofgE?feature=share

Would love to hear a nutshell summary cuz I never have time to click these things....  🙂 

growsomething
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Would love to hear a nutshell summary cuz I never have time to click these things....  🙂 

He likes Fluconazole if other measures don't work, so...

It is mentioned in the podcast he changed his mind about it.  Not sure if they said why.  Also all tanks have some of each algae eventually.

growsomething

I know that's not a summary but I listen at work and only catch 1/2 of what is said.  That just popped into my head as comments you would both agree and disagree with.  Also, he has an outdoor reef pond!

• 4 weeks later...
BioReefed

Well it seems that finally that cyano is gone. It took more than 2 months to get rid of it.

What it seems to work better at the end was to do weekly water changes instead of by-weekly. Also I read more articles and realized that dosing neoPhos and neonitro was not a good idea. The cyano was enjoying all of those elements and getting stronger. So after water changes and syphoning the sand, keeping the phospates and nitrates almost at zero was the key to beat cyano.

Now I'm getting some green hair algae in a lot of spots. I got some hermit crabs and an emerald crab to help with it.

Tank is looking better, I also got some zoas and a neon goby fish.

And also I had to put my old wave maker back, the expensive Tunze I bought was very strong for my tank, even in the lowest setting the sand was being blown all over and the fish were stressed since they couldn't swim very well

Here are some pictures.

image.thumb.jpeg.85f9430553d6ddc83b8968388f0188e5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9cc952584eccf96723fc2eba6da05bd0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ba92a22088afd9175778f55475ac17a5.jpeg

• Like 3