ReefCleaners.org

Looking at some new fish

PJPS

My current fish are as follows:

A pair of midnight clowns

A royal gramma

A warchman goby with a gun

My tank is a NUVO 20, bioload isn’t an issue, https://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/shieldspj/2

I may swap out the clowns for something a bit less invisible.  The idea of black fish was better than the reality, and they’ll need a larger tank sooner or later.

But the 2 fish I’m looking at adding are a tail spot blenny, and a scarlet pinstripe wrasse.  My questions are:

1) Any concerns in a tank with heavy flow?  For instance, I feel a Cardinal would struggle.

2) What order should they be added?  Does it matter, they’re both supposed to be peaceful?

NoOneLikesADryTang

I wouldn’t have a concern at all about adding a tail spot Blenny. 

I would probably find a different wrasse - scarlet pinstripe are from the same genus as six lines (Pseudocheilinus). They can be very aggressive… Even if added last, once it gets established, it’ll more than likely bully other fish in the tank. Also, it may be tough to add any additional fish after the wrasse. 

If you’re wanting a wrasse for your tank, I’d suggest a possum, or pink streak wrasse. 

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I wouldn’t have a concern at all about adding a tail spot Blenny. 

I would probably find a different wrasse - scarlet pinstripe are from the same genus as six lines (Pseudocheilinus). They can be very aggressive… Even if added last, once it gets established, it’ll more than likely bully other fish in the tank. Also, it may be tough to add any additional fish after the wrasse. 

If you’re wanting a wrasse for your tank, I’d suggest a possum, or pink streak wrasse. 

Pink streak is what I was thinking of.  Would a possum be fine in heavy flow?  They seem so chilled out 😎

• Like 1
9 hours ago, PJPS said:

Pink streak is what I was thinking of.  Would a possum be fine in heavy flow?  They seem so chilled out 😎

if you have rockwork that isn't totally solid (meaning, caves, branches, overhangs) it should meander around the rocks just fine despite flow.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

the rock work looks like this.

Royal gramma goes end to end uner the rocks, goby and pistol live the cave on the far left.  If anything the rockwork is too good for habitat, the gramma is rarely out, not because of aggression, simply because she doesn't have to.

image.thumb.jpeg.fb2085c0ca5c6de47637271ab374a8e8.jpeg