Cultivated Reef

Help with Mantis ID?

ererer

Hello all!

I have a mantis shrimp that came in with some live rock from KP Aquatics. I've removed it from my 13.5g evo into it's own AIO pico tank. I'm thinking of setting it up as a small caribbean biotope tank, with some RFAs, maybe a gorgonian or two and macroalgae, with some pvc in the sand for the mantis. I want to ID the mantis first so I can make sure that the setup is correct for it to be healthy and comfortable.

Here are some pictures and videos I was able to get when I was moving it between tanks. It's around 3" in size.

mantis 2 cropped.PNG

mantis1 cropped.PNG

• Like 1

@NoOneLikesADryTang seems to be very knowledgeable on mantis shrimp. Any suggestions? I know about Roy's site, but I'm not having much luck with an ID based on the limited pictures. My best guess is N. wennerae, based on location it was probably harvested? And of the species on KP's site listed for sale, it's the closely looking to mine.

What size tank should this little stomatopod get? What would make good tank mates for it? I was thinking of just a couple RFAs and a gorg or two, like I said above, if a pico is big enough. I've always wanted to keep RFAs, but don't currently have the right tank for it. What should I feed it? It's mostly been getting small snails and small hermits that I order extra of on CUC orders. How often should I feed it?

Also, it doesn't come out much, it hides most of the time, occasionally peeking out before darting back into a hole in the rock. Any thoughts on what I can do to make it more comfortable and willing to come out? It was in a tank in my classroom, though I'm likely bringing the tank home soon since I'm downsizing the number of classroom tanks, as I'll be sharing the room with another teacher for the rest of the year, and we need the extra counter space.

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Sweet hitchhiker!! How big is it? It looks tiny in your video. 

It may be a N. Wennerae, but I can’t tell from the pictures, and video. A good indication that it’s a N. Wennerae would be if it has white on its meral spots (basically it’s front shoulders). 

I’m sort of leaning to N. Curacaoensis, but it’s really hard to tell from your photos. They should have an orange coloring at the base of their eyes, and it looks like yours could have that. 

Our G. Ternatensis, was also really shy when we got her. We just spent a bunch of time in front of the tank, and would feed clams in a half shell a couple times a week. She also would hunt snails regularly. Within a few months, she became more friendly (I did get popped a couple times when I was recovering frags she had taken to her den - it’s not nearly as bad as people will lead you to believe it is.)

I’d just keep snails and crabs in the tank for it, and if you feel like doing the clam thing, it may work. We did have a banished six line wrasse in the tank for months and months, and they were fine together, until they weren’t. The mantis won that fight easily. We also kept some saltwater mollies in the tank. She’d occasionally hunt them - I think it’s important to let their natural instincts happen. A mantis, got to mantis, yo! 

I think gorgs would be safe with it - and I know RFAs are. We had ours with a bunch of rock flowers. If it’s not glued down, there’s a good chance that the mantis will take it to the den to decorate or build with. 

Sorry if I’m all over the place with my response - the tank keeper and I have had a few drinks this evening. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! No problem on the drinks, it's Saturday after all! Hope you and the Tank Keeper are both having a lovely evening!

I'd be willing to believe N. Curacaoensis based on Roy's description that it's shy and reclusive, that part definitely fits. I'd estimate size to be just about 2"-2.5" long, the video is probably deceiving, it's in a 1000mL beaker that's probably about 4.25" in diameter (wasn't planning to take pictures or a video, but I grabbed the nearest appropriately sized clear container I could find in my classroom).

• Like 1