SaltCritters.com

New to group

Norimaki56

Just joining the group.  I have a new EVO 13.5.   I had a saltwater tank many years ago, since then mostly fresh water tanks. Right now I have 2 40 gallon breeder tanks.   Planted community tanks.   I may in the future think about converting one to a reef.   But for now, just want to the get the EVO 13.5 going.

The tank has about 1/2 to 1 inch of CaribSea Arag-Alive reef sand and Dry Rocks (red coat), using Brightwell reef salt.  The tank ran about two weeks and then I did a round of Dr Tims (One and Only) for two weeks.  And this week (week 5 since setup)  I added 2 misbar caramel clowns and some clean up crew .  So far so good, they seem to be calming down and exploring tank a bit more.  

I am doing weekly water changes, using Glacier water from Krogers and Brightwell salt, trying to keep salinity around 1.024/5.  Using a mix of test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.   I have used API reef tank kit for some, but not thrilled with accuracy of tests.   I see others recommend Red Sea test kit, may switch to it.

Modifications I have on EVO 13.5 are the IN_TANK  for Chamber 1& 2, and Sicce 1.0 pump.  I am using InTank filter floss, bio media and carbon from Fluval for now.   Thinking of switching to ChemPure, instead of Fluval carbon.

That’s about it for now.   Would add pics but they look about the same as all the other startup pics I have seen!

A6C725DC-5CD8-4913-A6AA-DEE90F210980.jpeg

52F04D44-B47C-4F61-B715-4C8DD3FB71DB.jpeg

59C30C3F-B005-4D29-9045-064B047B751E.jpeg

Edited by Norimaki56
Added pics
  • Like 7
12 hours ago, Norimaki56 said:

using Glacier water from Krogers

As long as they are well maintained, that should be fine.  When I started out 20 years ago, I used RO from a vending machine.  I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get nitrate below 40 ppm no matter how much water I changed.  Then I tested my source water; it had 40 ppm of nitrate.

I'd buy a handheld TDS tester if using RO water from a vending machine or local fish store.

trying to keep salinity around 1.024/5.

While you should have no problems with that specific gravity, for a reef tank, you should raise that to at least 1.025 to 1.026.

I have a new EVO 13.5.

The tank looks good; and nice looking clownfish.

• Like 3

looks great!!! is the red sea test kits good..? looking to purchase some test kit online either that or hannah checker... but since its expensive its probably out of the picture

2 hours ago, Rabb.D said:

is the red sea test kits good..? looking to purchase some test kit online either that or hannah checker... but since its expensive its probably out of the picture

IMO, it depends on the parameter that you're testing.  As a general recommendation, I usually recommend Salifert, but other brands (like Red Sea) work too.  I use Salifert for most of my kits.

As for API, accuracy isn't really the problem.  However, their alkalinity test lacks resolution, and their phosphate test is a high range kit (and we need a low range kit for reef keeping).  I still use their ammonia test kit when establishing a cycle.

Hanna gets mixed reviews depending on which Checker you are talking about.  I use their ULR Phosphate Checker.  It's low range, so it's appropriate for reef keeping; and the digital readout makes it easy to interpret the results.  However, I can still get three different results from the same sample of water.  But it provides a ballpark (like most hobby grade test kits do), so you can monitor your parameters.  Their alkalinity Checker is usually spoken about favorably, but their calcium and a few other Checkers aren't typically as highly regarded.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 1/20/2023 at 1:44 AM, seabass said:

While you should have no problems with that specific gravity, for a reef tank, you should raise that to at least 1.025 to 1.026.

I will work on this in next few water changes.  Thanks!

• Like 1
On 1/19/2023 at 7:52 PM, Norimaki56 said:

Just joining the group.  I have a new EVO 13.5.   I had a saltwater tank many years ago, since then mostly fresh water tanks. Right now I have 2 40 gallon breeder tanks.   Planted community tanks.   I may in the future think about converting one to a reef.   But for now, just want to the get the EVO 13.5 going.

The tank has about 1/2 to 1 inch of CaribSea Arag-Alive reef sand and Dry Rocks (red coat), using Brightwell reef salt.  The tank ran about two weeks and then I did a round of Dr Tims (One and Only) for two weeks.  And this week (week 5 since setup)  I added 2 misbar caramel clowns and some clean up crew .  So far so good, they seem to be calming down and exploring tank a bit more.  

I am doing weekly water changes, using Glacier water from Krogers and Brightwell salt, trying to keep salinity around 1.024/5.  Using a mix of test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.   I have used API reef tank kit for some, but not thrilled with accuracy of tests.   I see others recommend Red Sea test kit, may switch to it.

Modifications I have on EVO 13.5 are the IN_TANK  for Chamber 1& 2, and Sicce 1.0 pump.  I am using InTank filter floss, bio media and carbon from Fluval for now.   Thinking of switching to ChemPure, instead of Fluval carbon.

That’s about it for now.   Would add pics but they look about the same as all the other startup pics I have seen!

A6C725DC-5CD8-4913-A6AA-DEE90F210980.jpeg

52F04D44-B47C-4F61-B715-4C8DD3FB71DB.jpeg

59C30C3F-B005-4D29-9045-064B047B751E.jpeg

Looks nice) I would also add algae

Added Two Little Fishies Magfeeder, it really helped with feeding, less food needed and everyone getting fed.  Just a floating ring on top with magnetic tie down.   Really made difference for me feeding dry food in evo 13.5.