Cultivated Reef

Steve's LED refit?

Dr. Brent

Howdy,

I have a nearly brand new set of Steve's LED for a biocube 32 (They were purchased over two years ago but only used about 3 months). My 32 biocube cracked and I disassembled the reef.  Recently I have purchased a waterbox AIO 10 gallon to get back in the nano game.  I'm wanting to reuse the Steve's led in some sort of retrofit/refit on the new tank.  Obviously I'll have to tone them down but my bigger issue is how to I create a new housing for the Steve's LED lights that could be used to sit on top to hang above my new waterbox setup.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to remount them or create an enclosure that would look relatively sleek and efficient for reusing the Steve's LED's? I'm a pretty good woodworker but wasn't sure of anyone knew of a plastic or other pre-built enclosure that might suffice.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• Like 1

I don’t know of any prebuilt enclosures but I suggest you go the diy route. I made an enclosure out of acrylic for a custom aio aquarium I designed which houses a nanobox retrofit. 

92460941-A5C6-4930-8608-78F2F1DF0D37.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Agree 2
Christopher Marks

Agreed! Nice work @Jonny.

10 hours ago, Dr. Brent said:

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to remount them or create an enclosure that would look relatively sleek and efficient for reusing the Steve's LED's? I'm a pretty good woodworker but wasn't sure of anyone knew of a plastic or other pre-built enclosure that might suffice.

Since you’re familiar with woodworking, you should research DIY acrylic building. You can cut down sheets on your table saw, use hole saws, drill bits, etc. It’s similar to working with wood. Bonding pieces together uses a thin liquid cement. Making a jig or using right angle clamps makes it easy. You can leave the 90 degree edges or even router a rounded corner. Opaque acrylics are available, it can also be painted. Black ABS plastic sheets could be another alternative option.

• Like 3