Pod Your Reef

tiny pest on my blastomussa

gio14

Not sure if this is a pest or not, but or sure it is scaring...

I was testing my new laowa 2x macro lens and I saw all those dots which seems to be moving (not sure if it was due to the current or if they were actually moving...

thanks in advance

anyone can identify them?PSX_20230117_212210.thumb.jpg.6932fd596472104acad8b51231a5366d.jpgPSX_20230117_212314.thumb.jpg.e730a5e8a4a3722b7409c7540113186f.jpg

look like little flatworms. Lots of them are "harmless" meaning they won't eat the coral but with high enough numbers they can irritate/smother/kill a coral. Some species do eat coral, but you'd know if that was the case by now. 

solutions are usually finding a fish that eats them (most halichores wrasses, some damsels) or a chemical solution such as flatworm exit.

Yep, looks like flatworms. Do you see any larger ones, or do they appear to all be that size? Might be a species that's not usually noticed in aquaria due to sheer tininess. I'm assuming these are quite small, given the blasto for scale.

Unless you notice corals being bothered, trying to eliminate flatworms can often be more trouble than it's worth. 

• Like 1

mmm, they seem to be all the same size, even if in some pictures I've spotted a couple of them (too small to clearly see legs) more similar to the following picture which I discovered while magnifying some pictures I took yesterday.

I do not know what it can be, but, it seems to be another inhabitant, or the adult version of those tiny  items.

I think we are in the range 0.1-0.5 mm at maximum.

anyway I think that this macro lens is doing a great job!

PSX_20230118_103007b.jpg

• Like 1

those almost look like an entirely different critter than in the original post.

I would just keep an eye on them, if the numbers increase enough they can irritate corals, but if you're not noticing any poor response from the coral i would just leave it be.

• Like 1