Pod Your Reef

Help me build my new System

Redreidy

Looking for some suggestions. 

I currently have a 15Gal Fish only system, which I have had for about 3-4 years, in my office but the arrival of a second baby means that the office space is no longer tenable. Currently the tank is in the Hall/landing and is a bit of an eyesore. the tank isn't really a marine tank its a horrible cheap Jewel tank with a horrible lid etc which I have turned into a Marine tank so I don't really want to put it downstairs. My wife has given me permission to put a tank in the living room and has identified a space about 110cm wide. The space is not idea as its between two windows (south Facing in the UK) and somewhat near a radiator but I will make it work.  I have a budget of around £1,000 total to get things started. my question is any recommendations? I don't mind picking up bits over the coming months as extra but would ideally like filtration and lights included in the budget. I would also be interested in suggestions for equipment to save up for, I like controllable tech so things like app controlled pumps and lighting would be right up my street. 

Some Criteria:

• I would like the tank to be as big as I can afford in the budget, my real interest is in the fish so the bigger the tank the more fish I can home. I think for it to not look too small in the living room it would need to be at least 40 US Gal. 
  • My wife would like the stand to "look like furniture" or at least blend in somewhat with the pine furniture. this is going in the living room so has to look semi decent (no HOB filters or visible heaters)
  • I haven't tried corals before and would be interested in giving these a go, equipment would need to be appropriate for this. 
  • Ideally a sump would allow me to try some stuff moving forwards that I haven't had the space to try before i.e. skimmers, refugium's, auto top off. 
  • We have a cat (called Peanut) who is a proven fisher, I had a damsel disappear and caught him in the act catch the second one, so some sort of lid or net etc is required. 

We have had had a look around some of the local, not great aquarium stores and seen a couple that might be off interest

My wife liked -  https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/aqua-oak-large-cube-aquarium-and-cabinet

Nice looking stand and I could probably fit a sump in the bottom but it would require drilling and pipe work etc, not sure how confident I would be in doing this. Also I don't know how lighting and ventilation would work with the heavy oak lid? I also fear that salt build-up would quickly destroy that lid. 

I liked - https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/aqua-marin-600-pro-hickory

I would need additional equipment etc. 

• When on a budget, you can sometimes find good deals on used equipment.
  • If you are handy, you could build your own stand to match your furniture.
  • Sounds like you should look into drilling your tank for a sump/overflow or buy a tank made for a sump.
  • I might consider keeping the sump simple (with maybe just a skimmer, heater, and top off).
  • The biggest changes from a fish only tank will be lighting and flow.  Lighting will likely consume a big portion of your budget.
  • Again, if you are handy, you could make a canopy to match your stand.  If you aren't capable of making your own stand and canopy, you might make finding the stand/canopy a first priority, then work out the rest from there.

I like the oak stand, but (like you mentioned) I'm not sure that it will meet your needs for a sump or even reef lighting.  I'd keep looking.  Also, you might be able to contract a handyman to make one to spec.

13 hours ago, Redreidy said:

I have a budget of around £1,000

Starting with a budget is excellent!

If it helps with planning, there used to be a rule of thumb that went something like...plan to spend 1/3 of your budget on the tank/stand, 1/3 on the live rock, and 1/3 on the equipment (lighting, pumps).  

While obviously just a rule of thumb, I think that's still a decent idea to start with.  Folks often shortchange themselves when they over- or under-spend one category.   For example, using dead rock instead of live rock...very cheap, but empty economy/penny-wise-pound-foolish.

As far as your tank strategy, running a plain tank as an All in One is another good option.  

Tunze's "Reefpack" setups that combine a skimmer and filter (and ATO on larger model) are geared toward doing exactly this.  The mid-sized unit can also hide your heater.

Cost-wise, going with a sump or AIO are probably in the same neighborhood.  But if it's simpler to do AIO, then IMO consider going that route.   My current 125 gallon has been running this way for a few years now I think.  Prior to that it was a sump-based system.

IMO, when you're starting out like this it can be better to buy used premium gear vs cheaping out on "low-end"/no-name gear.  It takes a little patience and you might not find exactly what you want though.  👍

• Like 1

If you do an oak canopy like that then I would modify it and add fans so it gets air moving through it or you may ruin your expensive lights. You also need to make sure you have clearance for them. 

If you drill a tank, you need to be absolutely sure that panel isn’t tempered or it will explode. 

What about CADE aquariums? Have you looked at them? They are supposed to be very good quality and they have some really nice features. They should be near turn key. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the advice, 

I have recently purchased the Aqua One Reefsys 180 got what I thought was a really good deal £645 on this. The tank is 60x55x53cm and has a sump built in. The whole system is 180 litres. https://www.aquaone.co.uk/focus.php?product_range=ReefSys&id=155

Love the idea of picking up bits second hand. I am probably going to set up a journal on this site to record my journey in building the system and my first foray into corals etc. 

Any suggestions for lights and pumps? As I said before I'm a bit of a tech nerd so I want devices to be controllable. I like the idea of being able to set a gradual natural light cycle I think i read that AI Primes can do this. Would one AI prime be enough for a tank this size?

I know nothing about pumps but again would love a smart device which can be used to alter flow on a schedule do these exsist?

43 minutes ago, Redreidy said:

Would one AI prime be enough for a tank this size?

Maybe.  One AI Prime covers 18" pretty well.  You won't aquascape your 24" long tank wall to wall, so it potentially could be enough (especially if you keep the more light demanding corals directly under it).  It might depend on what you decide to keep.  For light loving SPS, two might be better (or even a Hydra).

48 minutes ago, seabass said:

Maybe.  One AI Prime covers 18" pretty well.  You won't aquascape your 24" long tank wall to wall, so it potentially could be enough (especially if you keep the more light demanding corals directly under it).  It might depend on what you decide to keep.  For light loving SPS, two might be better (or even a Hydra).

That’s my thinking, to be honest as I have never done Corals before I’m likely going to be starting off easy. If I buy a single AI prime I could potentially get a second further down the line or a different lighting system altogether. Thanks for the advice! 

• Like 1