Cultivated Reef

Flatworm eXit and a 3 gallon pico?

Jon-Paul

So I've got a 3 gallon pico, its been running for a little over 4 years now but I think my most recent addition of a dragon soul torch has infected my sweet innocent little tank with some flatworms.

IMG_6213.thumb.jpeg.87c2103ebe12ad20d69b2ff22b144359.jpeg

That's the tank as it is, but I'm just wondering how I should go about eliminating these flatworms. They have proliferated enough that they are really bothering my frogspawn and both of my hammers (they're also all over the mushrooms but I could stand to lose a few of them).

IMG_6217.thumb.jpeg.cb3cd62154246477ff98f0d2fa945ee7.jpeg

I tried siphoning them out but there is just way too many. The little grey specs on the orange mushrooms are the flatworms.

Flatworm eXit appears to be pretty strong and everything I've read online seems to say that after the treatment I need to siphon them out, do an ~80% water change, and possibly run some carbon. Is that about it or is there more? Should I take my other inhabitants out of the tank while I do the treatment?

The other inhabitants of the tank include:

1x Banded Trochus Snail

1x Scarlet Hermit Crab

1x Red Headed Goby

1x Scarlet (Blood?) Cleaner Shrimp

Just looking for some input from some people that have dealt with this problem in similarly sized aquariums if possible.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I would remove as many flatworms as possible beforehand. I used a rigid airline and air hose to help get many without taking a lot of water at once. I did this for a few weeks and then treated my tank with coral and fish in it. Follow the directions. I did a large water change and then ran new carbon for 24 hours or so. It’s the toxins from the dead planarian that become an issue if not removed. My corals were not happy either. Good luck, tank looks beautiful.

• Like 1

I do a water change before treating, try and clean the tank out as much as possible on your own.  Then treat, do a good sized change (you can easily change all the water so that's nice), run carbon.  You shouldn't have any problem, I've treated tanks for flatworms more than a few times over the years and never lost a thing, the issue is if you dose when you have a huge population and then don't remove them and change water, they will poison the tank.   Upping the flow and cutting lights can lower their numbers before you treat as well.  

• Like 1
demonclownfish

Find a SMALL yellow Coris wrasse and put some type of lid on it for a couple weeks - it will destroy them. Then either rehome the fish or put him in a bigger tank 

• Like 1