Innovative Marine Aquariums

65G IMPORTANT QUESTION

Zoraidag

Hi everyone. Diving back into the hobby again after 5 years of being tankless.

The answers to my question may determine whether I proceed with the 65g I'm planning.

So I was originally going to set up a 20g long, but since I have a 65g stored in my garage (bought used but never set up a few years back, already leak tested). The reason I wasn't going to go with the 65g originally is because it's drilled with 2 2" holes on each upper corner and I don't want a sump. After doing much, much research on 50g+ sumpless tanks (never had one in my previous 40g), I decided to go for it with the 65g. This is where my question comes in. If I cover and seal the holes with 1/4" think pieces of glass on the inside, will this be ok to use, like the integrity of the tank won't be compromised and the presser won't cause a breakage? From the looks of it, the holes and overflow boxes were custom made, the OF boxes are easily removable.

Thank you all in advance, REALLY appreciate your advice. 🙂

22 minutes ago, Zoraidag said:

The answers to my question may determine whether I proceed with the 65g I'm planning.

So I was originally going to set up a 20g long, but since I have a 65g stored in my garage (bought used but never set up a few years back, already leak tested). The reason I wasn't going to go with the 65g originally is because it's drilled with 2 2" holes on each upper corner and I don't want a sump. After doing much, much research on 50g+ sumpless tanks (never had one in my previous 40g), I decided to go for it with the 65g. This is where my question comes in. If I cover and seal the holes with 1/4" think pieces of glass on the inside, will this be ok to use, like the integrity of the tank won't be compromised and the presser won't cause a breakage? From the looks of it, the holes and overflow boxes were custom made, the OF boxes are easily removable.

just add bulkheads and cap them off. They make PVC caps for them. That is how I have done it before. Safe and removable should you ever change your mind or if the tank finds a new home someday. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

just add bulkheads and cap them off. They make PVC caps for them. That is how I have done it before. Safe and removable should you ever change your mind or if the tank finds a new home someday. 

That sounds easier, thank you so much!!

• Like 1
On 1/10/2023 at 10:05 AM, Zoraidag said:

I would also at least consider selling that tank for one that is built how you want it.   Most folks are willing to pay extra for a "reef ready" (aka drilled) tank so they don't have to risk making the holes themselves.

but maybe he would want to add a sump later, which would be as simple as swapping out the bulkheads.

Just seal them with bulkheads and PVC caps. It can be easily hidden if all the fittings and back wall are black.

• Like 1