Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is a feather duster in a one gallon pico plausible?

NatureGuy

Would depend on the size of feather duster and how often you did water changes, I think. Possible? Sure, for some combinations. Worth it? Maybe. 

Being out of the water would cause it some amount of stress, but probably wouldn't cause enough to harm it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't do that; air can get trapped inside the tube, stress of getting exposed, too high turbulent flow when filling the tank, and there have to be temperature fluctuations during the process (room air temperature).

If we are talking about any of available for sale feather dusters, they have not much long term survival chances even in 5 gal tanks, without reliable life support.

Try to find 2.6 gal cylinder pico reef setup for a feather duster and electric scallop, to see that is involved. Fridge, algae culture there, pumped by dosing, water replacement before it becomes fouled. Not everyone has a budget, space and time for that elaborate setup, but choosing what to put in the tank still is a choice, as live rock (for micro life) or corals.

• Thanks 1

The Hawaiian dusters can get at realy long. Mine was all the way at the top of my 20g. Its tube was about 10 inches long.  I had to remove it from the rock and put it lower horizontally in the tank. I wouldn't recomend one of these. Also do better in long established reefs. If you were broadcast feeding for it that would quickly foul the water in sutch a small volume. These things dont tend to last long in picos and usualy have a poor record in nanos. There are some smaller colonial dusters that are a few inches long with quarter sized crowns. I think reef cleaners has them or did. One of those would be a much better choice if you are set on having a duster.  I beleive kp aquatics sometimes gets red duster clusters. They are clumps of small red feather dusters. I would also try a larger volume of water as large as you can. One if these small cluster dusters could probly be happy In a 5g.

Theres also the option of the tiny little hitch hiker ones not impressive looking but still tube worms and could certainly live in a pico. I have 2 in my 3g.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
growsomething

Common brown and white dusters here in sw fl on grass/mud flats get exposed during winter negative tides.  Like all things in this hobby, the drab ones may be much tougher than ornamental ones.

It's a great, unusual idea, I'd like to see a pico w just a duster featured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Find an article about feeding mechanism of the feather dusters, how it works, what size and kind of particles fits there, and they have to be available multiple times a days, suspended in the water, being semi-buoyant, not sinking. And for a target feeding, where it should be applied, not at the top.

What is not a problem in densely populated 200 gal tank could be a problem in  the tank, not generating own food and without variety of other organisms to process excess of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1