inTank Media Baskets

pet remedy

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

Are pet remedy diffusers safe to use in the same room as aquariums please? I am thinking it's probably best not to risk it but would be interested in hearing others' thoughts. I'm not sure the solvent, but the ingredients are valerian, vetiver, clary sage and sweet basil absolute oils, which i know contain alkaloids which is whats worrying me

I would be cautious of it. I would also make very sure you're getting that from a reputable, science-backed source; essential oils are extremely concentrated, can be dangerous to inhale if not highly diluted, and may be toxic to pets. A lot of places will try to sell you essential-oil-based products that at best do nothing, and at worst may cause harm. 

• Like 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

Tired, pet remedy IS the source. It's a brand - there are studies to back up its efficacy. I'm only considering using it at all because I am absolutely at my wits end anyway, but if it will harm my tanks I won't obviously. 

some studies  - (note there IS a conflicts of interest on these so take results with a pinch of salt but the study designs are ok though sample sizes are small.)

A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigating the value of Pet Remedy in ameliorating fear of handling of companion rabbits - ScienceDirect