Coral Vue Hydros

Encrusting black sponge

Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

Hello,
I have a black sponge growing on a plug, usually, I love sponges since they are natural filters but, this one, I might consider too dangerous for corals.

It seems to grow relatively fast I would say but what worries me is the fact that the sponge is able to fight and perhaps push away a Xeniid, it's encrusting all over the rock.

Don't mind the Aiptasia. (At least the sponge can't fight against it)
I'm about to toss the full plug, my instinct tells me that but if you have any ID, species wise please let me know, thank you.
image.thumb.jpeg.a97ef84b4a448373b3204c15ab6adbbe.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0362ceaa3f7ef8e823bd71e8d43e4918.jpeg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Aqua Splendor said:

Hello,
I have a black sponge growing on a plug, usually, I love sponges since they are natural filters but, this one, I might consider too dangerous for corals.

It seems to grow relatively fast I would say but what worries me is the fact that the sponge is able to fight and perhaps push away a Xeniid, it's encrusting all over the rock.

Don't mind the Aiptasia. (At least the sponge can't fight against it)
I'm about to toss the full plug, my instinct tells me that but if you have any ID, species wise please let me know, thank you.
image.thumb.jpeg.a97ef84b4a448373b3204c15ab6adbbe.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0362ceaa3f7ef8e823bd71e8d43e4918.jpeg

I think the sponge is probably worth more than the frag...or at least "as much as".

Sponges that do well in captivity tend to be pretty rare.  By comparison Xenia are "a dime a dozen" – and something that mostly only beginners can be interested in.

The weed...er...I mean the Xenia....looks happy anyway – are you sure the sponge is really a problem?   Since they both look happy, is there really a problem??

In any event, even tho you said not to, I'd worry more about getting those aiptasia under control than I'd worry about a happy-looking sponge growing on a happy-looking coral.  👍

BTW, do you broadcast feed anything in this tank?

There are some sponges that can infact grow so well in our home aquariums they become pests. Unfortunatly these are not usualy attractive or desirable in any way. I recall a black encrusting one that will easily overgrow zoas and sutch. 

It dosnt appear to be hurting the coral for now but appears it may be stunting its growth it will try to strangle it out as it competes. It will spread to other structures like the frag rack as well.

You have a rather large infestation of glass anemone I would deal with them soon they can up and spread like wildfire and will sting and iritate your corals.

Aqua Splendor

Little thing that makes me laugh, I intentionally put "Don't pay attention to the aiptasia" and yet... lol
It's under "control" 😉 (Nudibranch berghia)

BTW, do you broadcast feed anything in this tank?

you mention the broadcast feed, I actually don't feed enough in this tank, it's a problem, but now you point out this, I've seen a rapid growth since I move the plug this location, it receive the flow just from below, all detritus pass there...
That sponge can be a problem if it's the wrong one, I'm going for SPS dominant and there's couple sponge I want to avoid and it might be one of them.

What i'm looking for the reply is a ID like a possible "Terpios hoshinota", but today I will throw away the plug after taking some videos for the reason mention on my first post.
#ReefInstinct

• Like 1
On 12/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, Aqua Splendor said:

you mention the broadcast feed, I actually don't feed enough in this tank, it's a problem, but now you point out this, I've seen a rapid growth since I move the plug this location, it receive the flow just from below, all detritus pass there...

What are dissolved nutrient levels (no3, po4) like in this system?  Was the coral in a location with bad flow before this?

Sorry I can't ID sponges.  If you can, try selling it if you don't want to keep it.