Coral Vue Hydros

Tall rocks "vertical" frag/coral placement question

Rhetoric

First time posting here...Hello!

I had a 90 gallon 10 yrs ago with fish and easy beginner corals.  Never got overly involved with the reef end of it all

This is my first nano build

Question:  How will corals do mounted on the side of tall vertical rocks?

My first rock is flat on top easy peezy.

Second (middle) Rock is vertical and will mostly be a zoa garden.

Third rock is where im scratching my head.  Its tall without a lot of "shelves" for coral placement. 

Would I be better off notching out some flat spots on the sides, or just glue everything to the steep sides? 

New build cycling atm.

20gal peninsula 30×12×12

Thanks for taking some time to answer..

20221220_115441.jpg

• Like 1

That middle rock should work well for zoanthids.  The third rock looks like it has plenty of non-vertical spots to mount coral frags.  I think it should work out fine without more.defined shelves.

• Thanks 1

Mounting them on a vertical is tricky as far as they needing to be stuck/glued so they don't fall or get knocked out of their spot.

But as far as the coral is concerned, they may actually prefer the vertical to the horizontal....for one thing, frags generally get more light if they are mounted sideways or at an angle rather than pointing straight up and down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The right rock is not that bad: there is a lot of angled spaces, exposed to the light. If the light is enough for your planned corals, they should be fine.

Corals that encrust, spread or encrust at the base did well for me on even more narrow vertical rock: zoas, encrusting montiporas, M. digitata, M. setosa, some acroporas, and cyphastreas on the wall.

But with all three rocks, make sure that you want really fast growing corals being mounted on the main rocks. They grow at different speed and some of them may try to take over the whole rock, being taller or faster growing. See Zoas Club in Corals subforum. It starts nice, but difficult to deal with after they cover main rock. Avoid weed-like zoas and palys on the main rock, Pandora, green palythoa and alike.

There is an option is to add them on separate rubble rock. It is sold in 3 lb bags just for this, Two Little Fishies brand. Slightly glued to main rock, easily removable when corals reach the end of allowed space. Only watch for creating completely shaded places by doing this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1