inTank Media Baskets

Sailfin fish wounds

alex76

Im super worried about my baby.  Sorry but this sweetheart has been with me and my family from the start of this tank for 2 years.  She is so speacial to me and please i would appreciate any good advice to help her.  She only recently has developed these wounds and i cannot loose her.  Ive read that its mostly diet, is there anything i can give her to remedy this?  She lives in a 65 gallon tank that is serviced every 2-3 weeks by the same company that sold, setup and brought her here from the very start.  Just very worried need good advise.

sail1.jpg

sail2.jpg

Poor diet, poor water quality, and carbon may all cause issues with head and lateral line. 

Do you know your parameters? What is it being fed? Does your tank use carbon? 

65g is much too small for an adult sailfin and could also be part of the issue as well. So the service company basically deserves a slap to the head. 

It may be time upgrade to a 180g+

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
On 12/15/2022 at 8:44 PM, Tamberav said:

It may be time upgrade to a 180g+

@alex76, this is not an exaggeration.  

The sail fin is one of the largest Tang's that's common to the hobby – even if it was "fine" in the smaller tank while it grew up, it has outgrown the tank now.  

The idea of getting fish into the right size tank from the beginning is it avoid the trauma of moving the fish to a new setup when it's mature – like now.  

It's easy to think nothing of a move like that for a fish, but getting netted and removed from the water is VERY VERY stressful all by itself....if anything goes wrong during or after the move to compound that stress, it can be catastrophic.

In the short run:

• eliminate any and all activated carbon from the filter system
  • test for electrical voltage in the water (you'll have to google it unless someone can give you a guide....you need a multimeter from my understanding)
  • assure high-quality frozen foods are making up at least part of the diet
  • if only dry foods are available, then use an Omega 3 supplement with them

In the long run:

• Whether it's a big new tank at your house, or at someone else's house, find this fish a new home ASAP!
  • Like 3