Pod Your Reef

1 hour ago, Koleswrath said:

I’m diggin that shortcake. Gonna have to keep my eye open for one of those. Good haul bud!

Mitchell’s acros come next Tuesday, it’s going to be cramped in there next week. 🀞🏻the bulk helps keep the chemistry in line. Β I have a feeling the 75ml of kalk I’m currently dripping over night won’t keep up. Β I’ll likely run out of β€œkalk room” around 375-400ml, any more and things look angry. Β 1/4 strength AFR after that.

• Like 1

We have lift-off. Β pH was climbing from 4pm, Alk Consumption is .4 dKH in 5h if the Trident is perfect (it’s not). Β Currently at 6.6 dKH, bumped kalk 20% to 100ml overnight. Β Expect to need to bump it 25ml/night if it’s not falling unacceptably fast. Β In which case I’ll just bump it more/night until it’s falling slowly.

Β 

started dosing 1.5ml very diluted (280ml RODI:25ml AP) AcroPower overnight. Β Finally out of BW aminos.

7dkh this morning after bumping kalk to 100ml overnight Β Gonna see where we end the day and tweak accordingly. Β I suspect I’ll hit 350ml pretty soon, the latest trident test just ran, 6.7 now and the lights only hit peak at 12…

The humilis is pretty cool, kinda shaggy. Β The axials are bright green, the body sort of a deep purple. Β Quickly becoming the pick of the litter…

Β 

e: both montis look better, nasuta is brown, but looks fine. Β New stuff looks great (obviously, give me some time, I’ll ruin them πŸ˜‚)

Β 

e2: alk dropped .5 dkh during lights on. Β Bumping kalk 25 ml.

• Like 1

Those are some nice looking corals you got! How many more do you have coming?

Β 

I'm very interested to see how your bulk coral stocking goes. if you have good luck with it, I will try it on my tank. Just with cheaper and easier corals.

Got another 7 incoming acros, a gorg, and 6 bumblebee snails (3 for each tank). Β Wait and see how it goes, I’d hate to be responsible for wasting your money 😊.

Β 

That said, the love shack is all softies and inverts, it insta tanked pretty nicely. Β 30 days out everything is quite happy. Β I was getting rid of some trumpets from this tank that never really grew (too much flow and light), so I put them in the love shack, they’d peeled by the next day. Β So it has it’s limits… gorgs and softies πŸ‘πŸ». Β Even the coco is thriving, but β€œeasy” lps (trumpets are my nemesis, I find they hate my tanks), not so much.

Β 

e: the instant tank has limits, the packing - SPS experiment ongoing, but I’ve done it with acans, torches, cyphastrea, and similar. I just give it a few months after setting up the tank before going very heavy on the LPS.

Fish stocking so irresponsible it’s shocking it’s not a violation of YouTube animal policy. Β Please don’t think this is an appropriate amount of space for those fish. Β This is cruel.

Β 

Everything looks healthy until you watch the swimming behaviour of the bigger fish. Β That powder blue may as well be pacing in a closet.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, PJPS said:

Fish stocking so irresponsible it’s shocking it’s not a violation of YouTube animal policy. Β Please don’t think this is an appropriate amount of space for those fish. Β This is cruel.

Then why post it. Having more people watch it. Validates it.

15 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Then why post it. Having more people watch it. Validates it.

Ignoring it does an equal amount of harm, paradox of tolerance =(

• Like 1

Everything is off the plugs and mounted to rubble, all chillin' in the sand closer to their final home. Β The four Seasons and humilis are now in higher par, mounted to the one peak in here.

Β 

Pulled out the meter so we have a rough idea.
Β 

5FB43099-CB59-4DBA-B978-9BCE79C85C2D.thumb.png.754505e45e56ee5cca1156c671b0dad1.png

(Old pic)

Β 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Fish out of Water
15 hours ago, PJPS said:

Everything is off the plugs and mounted to rubble, all chillin' in the sand closer to their final home.Β 

Β 

What do you do with the frags that have mostly encrusted the plug?
Β 

Β 

Β 

13 hours ago, Fish out of Water said:

Β 

The only heavily encrusted was the geen dragon. Β It was chopped just above the plug. My overall process for this shipment was - receive, Temp acclimate, and unbag them all in the same bucket, inspect scrape and scrub the dragons. Put them in the tank. Mixed 2 capfuls revive into the remaining water (2L), scrub/blow all frags in revive 5 min, rinse 5 min, onto frag rack. Β After a few days they’re removed from the plugs and remounted to rubble. Β I can’t abide so many circles, it pulls me completely out of the aquarium. There’s very few perfect circles in nature specially in the ocean.

Β 

if they were only puddled onto the plug and not encrusted it, it’s usually quite easy to get the coral off the plug, a little squeeze with cutters pressed flat against to top of the plug, Β often breaks the glue, sometimes you keep the puddling sometimes not.

• Thanks 1

I don't see the last 2 acros that were in here before, recovering, just slowly dying. Β Water is ideal, PAR is fine, gonna run some poly filter (suck up any bad I can't see), do a few water changes, reduce Kalk dosing as a few bigger water changes will bump alk to 7.5... maybe toss my all brown (now peeling at the tips Limeade...

Β 

New stuff is doing well other than losing color on some tips. Β They should come back when they're under the right Β light range for a while.

Β 

The 2 montis bounced back over night once put in 125sh PAR... less than 200 was probably it. Β Don't play with spectrum and not retest PAR. Β The intensity was the same, but different spectrums emit more or less total energy.

On 3/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, PJPS said:

I don't see the last 2 acros that were in here before, recovering, just slowly dying. Β Water is ideal, PAR is fine, gonna run some poly filter (suck up any bad I can't see), do a few water changes, reduce Kalk dosing as a few bigger water changes will bump alk to 7.5... maybe toss my all brown (now peeling at the tips Limeade...

Β 

New stuff is doing well other than losing color on some tips. Β They should come back when they're under the right Β light range for a while.

Β 

The 2 montis bounced back over night once put in 125sh PAR... less than 200 was probably it. Β Don't play with spectrum and not retest PAR. Β The intensity was the same, but different spectrums emit more or less total energy.

New corals are looking good. Glad to hear they are acclimating well and some of the montis are coming back. Seems like your bulk coral addition is working!

• Like 1

Wow, did NDA ever deliver! Β The acros are stupid nice, pics tonight hopefully, all PE is swingin’. Β 1 doesn’t look as perfect as the rest, but it’s still pretty cool and will probably be perfect tomorrow.

Β 

The Gorg and fish for the other tank are great, as are the bumblebee snails. Home run into the parking lot…

• Like 1

REALLY need a white/grey card, I can't get a white balance that even aproaches my eyes at full light. Β Those other pics are heavy blue no filter, that's how it looks to the eye. Β Full spectrum is washed out light blue. Β My plastic colour cards arrive later today, but here's some raw footage.

Β 

Β