Cultivated Reef

New sticks purchased, they start arriving next Tuesday. Β All πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦aquaculture, evenly split my budget between Frag Garage and New Dawn Aquaculture. Β The Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseis and Bling Bling cyphastrea already in there are Fragbox Cultured Corals. Β Everything else is from the other 2.

Β 

Existing Ricordea florida are wild from assorted vendors.

PJ’s Gumbo v3

Β 

This is now split between both tanks, on top of their 20ml phyto each daily, and the AcroPower that will be dosed in this tank when the sticks are back.

Β 

Even Days

2/3” LRS

1/4 tsp RR

10 drops Oyster Feast

1 drop min s

4 drops Coral Amino

25ml Β tank water

Β 

Odd Days

2/3” LRS

1/4 tsp Coral Frenzy or 0.1 tsp Coral Sprint (any probiotic food on hand)

10 drops Oyster Feast

4 drops Coral Amino

25ml tank water

Β 

Love it, everything (icluding acros) eat it. Β My goni is thriving, but I don't know everything's favourite. Β But I'll tell you my NON-encrusting LPS (Blastos and Goni) are absurd on the gumbo, so you may see crazy results if it's just the OF. Β Start with a few drops, it'll move your nutrients so go slow if that's a concern.

• Like 1

I love OF,that stuff is amazing. My old Acan's LOVED it. I mixed with lps max,reef roids and sps max and talk about an EXPLOSION of growth. I also spot fed every polyp though,so that helped with wasted food.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, PJPS said:

New sticks purchased, they start arriving next Tuesday. Β All πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦aquaculture, evenly split my budget between Frag Garage and New Dawn Aquaculture. Β 

I get all my stuff from Mitchell at New Dawn. Fantastic guy and amazing tanks. He's opening his storefront about 3 minutes from my house. I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house because I'll be there every weekend guaranteed. I just watched a Reef Bum podcast with Adam from Frag Garage and he seems like a stellar guy. I'll have to order from him one of these days.
Glad there's some quality Canadian coral shops around! 🍁

Β 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Koleswrath said:

I get all my stuff from Mitchell at New Dawn. Fantastic guy and amazing tanks. He's opening his storefront about 3 minutes from my house. I'll have to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house because I'll be there every weekend guaranteed. I just watched a Reef Bum podcast with Adam from Frag Garage and he seems like a stellar guy. I'll have to order from him one of these days.
Glad there's some quality Canadian coral shops around! 🍁

Β 

They've both stepped up to refill the tank :). Β It was all sickeningly Canadian - Two really nice dudes out west helped a disabled guy in Ontario in a tough spot. Β Adam's shop has the jaw dropper sticks, Mitchell's is a bit more of a full aquaculture spot (inverts, fish, gorgs, softies, LPS, SPS). Β Both are the best coral spots in Canada, depends more what I'm shopping for.

Β 

If I want the absolute best/nicest coral in Canada, Frag Garage, no question. Β If I want some snails and wider selection and less $pendy, NDA, no question. Β Although I've only bought SPS from NDA, and while it's not as crazy as Adam's stuff, Mitchell's stuff is the next best <- I mean this as flattery :).

Β 

If you do try Adam's farm, he's got a few sick pieces for not bananas money. Β I love the Toxic Slimer (actually a neon florida), and the FG Hyacinthus. Β You can fill your boots with Adam's less expensive stuff and have a mindblowing SPS reef. Β But there are $350 frags if you're after the big name stuff. Β Mention Pat sent you, Β and pay by etransfer, you'll get nicer frags πŸ™‚Β 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
4 hours ago, PJPS said:

Love it, everything (icluding acros) eat it. Β My goni is thriving, but I don't know everything's favourite. Β But I'll tell you my NON-encrusting LPS (Blastos and Goni) are absurd on the gumbo, so you may see crazy results if it's just the OF. Β Start with a few drops, it'll move your nutrients so go slow if that's a concern.

Do you not recommend target feedings?

11 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

If you have a plate or some other big single polyp lps, probably wise.  Target feeling anything else seems like needless work.  I broadcast feed a lot multiple times a day so I get to watch everything eat multiple times a day 😊.  Returns off, tank flow unchanged.  The Pavlovian reaction out of the fishWhen you turn off the Return Pump is kind of funny.

Β 

Voice type really went crazy on the capitals there 😊

• Like 1
  • PJPS changed the title to πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸŒ²The Boreal Forest πŸŒ²πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

The few sticks still hobbling along may be growing again, calcium dropped 40ppm overnight. Β Lately (past 4 days) it's been sluggish. Β Aftermath and restocking video soon. Β Picked up a tripod ready webcam for quicker video setup than dslr and all that. Β It's so fiddly that with my disability I NEVER bother. Β Hopefully this low effort approach will result in more content.

Β 

Verbally, sticks ae brown from being under lit while we got the water back in shape. Β The leather killing a bunch of sticks dropped demand, removing the leather increased demand, meetin demand caused it to spike as more acros fell (alk or leather?), at which point all dosing stopped. Β It took another week for the AFR to clear out and stop yoyoing the alk.

Β 

Mixing the AFR 4:1 and still dosing as directed next time. Β 2:1 was still too fiddly in 60L of water

On 3/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, ml86743 said:

This dude doesn't do it for his big LPS and they look very happy.

If you broadcast feed heavy, everything stays well fed. Β Don't let the nutrients get crazy, but NO3=15 PO4=0.3 is my current target. Β Mild carbon dose to get PO4 into the coral, herbivores to deal with the algae, tank looks great (if bare).

Β 

Β 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Preparing the tank for the FG order coming tuesday. Β Curious to see what Adam sends. Β Gave him a budget and the only other constraint was all FG lineage coral. Β So no RR or Vivid, allΒ πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦Β aquacultured pieces from the ocean.

Β 

All SPS going in are 100%Β πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦Β aquaculture. Β The following Tuesday it's NDA's time to shine.

Β 

e: he just talked me into a couple of smooth skins, so I’m dialling back the intensity just a bit. Β I figured there’s bound to be a couple of spots where is smooth skins will do decently.

7 hours ago, PJPS said:

Preparing the tank for the FG order coming tuesday. Β Curious to see what Adam sends. Β Gave him a budget and the only other constraint was all FG lineage coral. Β So no RR or Vivid, allΒ πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦Β aquacultured pieces from the ocean.

Β 

All SPS going in are 100%Β πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦Β aquaculture. Β The following Tuesday it's NDA's time to shine.

Β 

e: he just talked me into a couple of smooth skins, so I’m dialling back the intensity just a bit. Β I figured there’s bound to be a couple of spots where is smooth skins will do decently.

Why no RR? They'reΒ πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

1 hour ago, joshthebox said:

Why no RR? They'reΒ πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

RRC is, but they’re both pricy and I thought they’d closed (March mentioned it a while back. Β But yes, if I had the $cratch, RRC pieces qualify for sure. Β I can’t afford $300 for 1” of crazy that I’ll kill in a nano πŸ˜‚

Gave up on the cali tort and rosaria, they're beyond saving at this point 🀬.  Down to 2 brown acros and 2 rough looking montis.  The digi is coming back, the rainbow? not so much.  The salinity has been bumpy the last 2 weeks, so I assume that's most of it, salinity swings anger SPS quiickly.

Β 

Filter floss clogging ####ed with the water level, ATO kept refilling since the water level would drop near the sensor. Β Now there's no mechanical flow blockage on the side the return pump draws from, just a skimmer in the 2nd back chamber on Β that side. Side benefit - slower flow through the bio media on the other side, meaning longer contact time. Β Salinity hit 29 ppt (1.022ish). Β I like to stay at 35 ppt (1.026ish)

• Sad 1
35 minutes ago, PJPS said:

Gave up on the cali tort and rosaria, they're beyond saving at this point 🀬.  Down to 2 brown acros and 2 rough looking montis.  The digi is coming back, the rainbow? not so much.  The salinity has been bumpy the last 2 weeks, so I assume that's most of it, salinity swings anger SPS quiickly.

Β 

Filter floss clogging ####ed with the water level, ATO kept refilling since the water level would drop near the sensor. Β Now there's no mechanical flow blockage on the side the return pump draws from, just a skimmer in the 2nd back chamber on Β that side. Side benefit - slower flow through the bio media on the other side, meaning longer contact time. Β Salinity hit 29 ppt (1.022ish). Β I like to stay at 35 ppt (1.026ish)

Man my ATO went on the fritz awhile back..piece of carbon escaped the bag and lodged itself in the float switch..

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

Man my ATO went on the fritz awhile back..piece of carbon escaped the bag and lodged itself in the float switch..

I love the ATO itself, it's never messed up (autoaqua AWC), but the flow being restricted dropped the level at the return, causing it to trip. Β Live and learn. Β I knew of this issue for a while, but it never did all too much. Β But miss 1 day of floss change...

Β 

Failure point 97 identifiedΒ πŸ™„

• Like 1

JFC

Β 

NO3: 30 (i’m not sure what’s behind this, but that level shouldn’t be problematic)

PO4: 0.7 πŸ˜΅β€

Β 

I pulled out the rowa 7 days ago roughly, as I was concerned Β it was the reason the ATO kept going off. It certainly was part of it, but maybe I should’ve put it back somewhere else?  🀬🀬🀬

Β 

Putting in a massive bag (double my usual rowa) trying to get that down to something approaching normalcy. Β I will be testing quite frequently for the next few days.

Β 

The complete lack of algae or any other nuisances, made not even think to look at nutrients. Β My CuC is too effective, there should at least be an indicator that the phosphates have gotten that high in a nano πŸ˜‚.

Edited by PJPS
Clarify plan to lower PO4

Frag Garage pieces are in the tank, after temp acc and dip/rinse. Β Adam out did himself, there are some unexpected treasures in there. Β Pics/vid once the polyps are back out.

Β 

E: polyps are out on Β almost everything, the Tangerine Shortcake is pretty dope. Β The hyacynthus and toxic slimer (florida) look great. Β Waiting for Adam to ID the rest of his surprise box :). Β I think I see FG Dragonslayer and a replacement grape soda.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Never got around to the photos, but here’s what a very fine gentleman named Adam Sutherland sent after I took delivery of the mystery box. Β This is way above and beyond what I’d expect any retailer to provide, but he understands my situation and goes a bit above and beyond for me ❀️.

Β 

image.thumb.jpeg.c55c4402a7d69456430fbc22bda92a50.jpeg

• Wow 2
15 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Hey, look, you got a replacement grape soda. πŸ˜€

Β 

some nice frags, that red humulis looks interestingΒ 

Yeah, I love that thing, glad to have it back 😁. Β That humilis is yet to be released from what I can tell, I was asking him a bit if he had a humils, and mystery surprise, he’s been hiding it πŸ˜‰. Β The shortcake is a funky orange, the name fits.

Β 

I did ask for more of that toxic slimer, that is an absolute steal. Β Cheap, amazingly bright, and not your usual yongei slimer (it’s a florida). Β The polyps look like it’s a montipora if anything, and it’s hardy AF.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1