Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3 hours ago, banasophia said:

That is extremely disturbing 😲

My point was that it’s indistinguishable from 90% of content I’ve seen on pH 🐒.  lack nuance details, and the problems people have using the information.  It only know what it’s ingested via the internet up to 2021.  Just pointing out even AI can regurgitate this advice in an authoritative way.  Like most reefing content on YouTube etc.

I can’t tell from the text it’s AI.  If you told me that was a post on R2R, I’d totally believe them.

I’m seriously not trying to yuck anyone’s Yum, just pointing out there’s a general lack of the info about other side of the coin flying around the Internet like this side of the topic.  Anybody who wants to chase PH is very welcome to. I’m happy to help them do it even.  I’ve tried every single method mentioned by the AI.  Dripping kalk is the only one that made a big difference.  Dosing soda ash in the tiny tank, is the most frustrating thing in the world.

I come in peace 👾

• Like 2

Yeah well my reaction to that AI generated post goes way beyond pH and what I plan to do about it. AI isn’t just regurgitating info from one source, my guess is that it’s likely analyzing and combining all the information it can find on the topic and combining it together in a conversational way. So much for starting a blog.

And I just saw something this weekend on YouTube with someone showing how an AI tool can instantly generate artwork that you can then sell… so much for being an artist. And I also just saw something about a robot in a hospital giving out meds due to them not having enough nurses… so much for being a nurse. This is the first I’m seeing of all this, I really don’t know anything about it yet, but my first reaction is that it seems like it could put a lot of people out of work. 

• Like 1

Of course, the whole AI being as good as it is, is crazy.  But I'd argue there's no analysis, just synthesis. Let's find out!  This will be very interesting, so glad you made me think to ask it to solve a problem I had with dosing soda ash.  Maybe I'll switch back if it can solve it

🙂

edit: this may take a few minutes

1062160822_ScreenShot2023-02-13at11_56_25AM.png.8f5cc78c6f4f9647b3ce9abbfbfa82c3.png

While we wait, here's one I did at the same time that's pretty perfect.

MARINE FISH NUTRITION: ESSENTIAL CONSIDERATIONS

Marine fish are a unique and diverse group of animals that inhabit the ocean waters around the world. They come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, and they play an important role in the ocean ecosystem. In order to ensure that these fish are healthy and thrive in captivity, it is important to understand their nutritional needs and provide them with the proper diet

There are several key considerations when it comes to marine fish nutrition. First and foremost, it is important to provide a balanced diet that includes a variety of different food types. Marine fish are opportunistic feeders, which means that they will eat a wide variety of food items in the wild. In captivity, this means that a variety of different food types should be offered, including live, frozen, and dried foods.

Live foods, such as brine shrimp, plankton, and worms, are a great option for marine fish. These foods provide a natural diet that is high in protein and other essential nutrients. They also mimic the natural feeding habits of marine fish, which can help to reduce stress and keep them healthy.

Frozen foods, such as krill, squid, and mysis shrimp, are also a great option for marine fish. These foods are typically flash-frozen at sea, which helps to preserve the nutritional value of the food. Frozen foods are also a convenient option for marine fish owners, as they can be stored for long periods of time and thawed as needed.

Dried foods, such as flakes and pellets, are another option for marine fish. These foods are typically made from a variety of different ingredients, including fish meal, algae, and other plant materials. Dried foods are a convenient option for marine fish owners, as they are easy to store and can be fed as needed. However, it is important to ensure that the fish are getting the right nutrition from these dried foods, and supplementing with live or frozen foods is often necessary

In addition to providing a balanced diet, it is also important to consider the size and nutritional needs of the specific species of fish. For example, larger species of fish, such as lionfish and groupers, will require larger food items and more protein than smaller species, such as clownfish and gobies.

Overall, providing a balanced diet and maintaining proper water conditions are essential for the health and well-being of marine fish. By understanding the specific nutritional needs of different species of fish, and by offering a variety of different food types, marine fish owners can ensure that their fish are healthy and thrive in captivity.

When it comes to feeding marine fish, it is also important to consider the frequency of feeding. In the wild, marine fish typically eat small amounts of food throughout the day. In captivity, it is important to mimic this natural feeding pattern as much as possible, by offering small amounts of food multiple times per day. This will help to ensure that the fish are getting the right amount of food and that they are not overeating.

Lastly, it is important to note that many marine fish are prone to obesity and other health issues if they are overfed. This is why it is crucial to monitor the fish's weight and adjust their feeding accordingly.

In conclusion, marine fish nutrition is an essential aspect of keeping marine fish in captivity. By providing a balanced diet, maintaining proper water conditions, and feeding at the right frequency,

How do I manage the excess alkalinity created by excess co2 in an aquarium when dosing Soda Ash since the amount of alkalinity produced is tied to co2 levels in the water?

To manage excess alkalinity in an aquarium created by excess CO2, you can use the following methods:

1. Reduce CO2 injection: By reducing the amount of CO2 you inject into the aquarium, you can reduce the overall CO2 levels in the water and the amount of alkalinity produced.

2. Monitor pH levels: Regularly monitoring the pH levels in the water can help you identify when the alkalinity is too high and make necessary adjustments.

3. Use a pH controller: You can use a pH controller to automate the CO2 injection process, which can help to maintain a consistent pH level in the water.

4. Adjust water changes: Adjusting the frequency or amount of water changes can also help to manage excess alkalinity.

5. Stop dosing Soda Ash: If the excess alkalinity is caused by dosing soda ash, you can stop dosing it or reduce the amount you add to the water.

It's important to note that while soda ash can raise the pH and alkalinity levels in an aquarium, it can also have other impacts on water chemistry and should be used with caution. It's always best to consult a professional or do thorough research before making any changes to your aquarium setup.

Just posting shit I find, while waiting endlessly for UPS to deliver my Studio 12.  Just to beclear, this isn't an endorsement of any of these folks.  For instance, Swiss Frag Reefer's theory on SPS pests (that there aren't any) is simply very wrong.  But you may pick up that I'm interested on the contents of tanks, not the hardware, although I'm an absurd gear junkie at times (siri starts and stops my returns, run a trident, skimmer, scrubber, AWC/ATO...)

this should start at the relevant part

Still no UPS…

19 hours ago, PJPS said:

OPTIMIZING REEF AQUARIUM pH LEVELS: A SCIENTIFIC APPROACH

Maintaining proper pH levels in a reef aquarium is essential for the health and well-being of the inhabitants. In this blog post, we will discuss the importance of pH in reef aquariums, the factors that affect pH levels, and various methods for maintaining proper pH levels.

pH, which stands for "potential of hydrogen," is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. In reef aquariums, the pH level should ideally be between 8.2 and 8.4. This range is considered the optimal pH level for coral growth and the well-being of other reef inhabitants such as fish and invertebrates.

One of the most important factors that affect pH levels in reef aquariums is carbon dioxide (CO2) levels. Corals and other reef inhabitants require a certain level of CO2 to survive and thrive. However, if the CO2 levels become too high, the pH level will drop, which can be harmful to the inhabitants. In addition, certain types of algae can also consume CO2 and lower the pH levels.

Another factor that affects pH levels is the presence of dissolved organic compounds (DOCs). DOCs are compounds that are dissolved in the water and can have an impact on pH levels. They can be introduced into the aquarium through various means such as overfeeding, uneaten food, and fish waste. DOCs can also be produced by corals and other inhabitants, which can affect the pH levels.

To maintain proper pH levels in a reef aquarium, it is important to regularly test the water for pH levels and other parameters such as alkalinity and calcium. If the pH level is too low, there are several methods that can be used to raise it. One of the most common methods is the use of kalkwasser. Kalkwasser, also known as lime water, is a solution of calcium hydroxide that can be added to the aquarium to raise the pH levels. It is important to use kalkwasser with caution, as it can also raise the calcium levels in the water and cause other imbalances if not used correctly.

Another method for raising pH levels is the use of soda ash, also known as sodium carbonate. This can be added to the aquarium to raise the pH levels, but it is important to use it in small amounts and monitor the pH levels closely to prevent overshooting the desired range.

CO2 scrubbing is another method that can be used to maintain proper pH levels in a reef aquarium. This process involves passing the aquarium water through a device that removes excess CO2 from the water, which can help to raise the pH levels. This method is often used in conjunction with other methods such as kalkwasser and soda ash to achieve the desired pH levels.

Another method that can be used to maintain proper pH levels in a reef aquarium is opening windows. This refers to the practice of opening the doors or windows of the room where the aquarium is located to allow fresh air to circulate and lower the CO2 levels in the air which can help to raise the pH levels in the aquarium.

Finally, using a refugium on a reverse photoperiod is another effective way to maintain proper pH levels in a reef aquarium. A refugium is a separate area of the aquarium where beneficial organisms such as macroalgae can grow, which can help to reduce the levels of DOCs in the water and lower the CO2 levels. By running the refugium on a reverse photoperiod, which means keeping the lights on in the refugium when the lights in the main tank are off, can further increase the effectiveness of this method.

-chat gpt on pH

What in the world... Don't like where this is going... 

• Like 2

Tank Update

The murder has stopped, BUT things are ugly in the sticks.  Anything within 2” of the leather is dead, 3” the tort is ragged on the side facing the leather.  4” is a mille with no PE, but the flesh looks tight but alive.

on the other side is the 1/2 stripped yellowtort that was way too close to an mp10.

So yeah, not great.  I can’t take pics and my SO has to setup the LMT (Loow Maintenance Tank).  Excuse the acronym but typing that out will be a chore after a bit for me.

It looks sad because it is sad, but we’ll get the tank back on course soon enough.  Levels are fine, no dinos or cyano, just my precious fuzzy sticks 😫

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PJPS said:

Tank Update

The murder has stopped, BUT things are ugly in the sticks.  Anything within 2” of the leather is dead, 3” the tort is ragged on the side facing the leather.  4” is a mille with no PE, but the flesh looks tight but alive.

on the other side is the 1/2 stripped yellowtort that was way too close to an mp10.

So yeah, not great.  I can’t take pics and my SO has to setup the LMT (Loow Maintenance Tank).  Excuse the acronym but typing that out will be a chore after a bit for me.

It looks sad because it is sad, but we’ll get the tank back on course soon enough.  Levels are fine, no dinos or cyano, just my precious fuzzy sticks 😫

Hopefully everything will bounce back once you get the leather out of there and into its new home… it seems like a meanie… I can’t remember… are you running chemipure elite in there? 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hopefully everything will bounce back once you get the leather out of there and into its new home… it seems like a meanie… I can’t remember… are you running chemipure elite in there? 

I have ROX fancy carbon, and Red Sea REEFspec carbon, neither help, changed ever 3 days anyway, in case that is helping everyone else.  I’m not a massive fan of chemipure, it’s an unknown amount of gfo. I’ve had it zero out my phosphate, and in came dinos.  I prefer Rowa Phos or Phosi-x (nyos?) they are less aggressive and I know how much phosphate remover I’m feeding “against”.

I think the damage happens before the slough ever gets to filtration.  I thin the closest acros “caught” it an killed themselves, the other 2 are close enough to be upset but “just want the mean guy to leave… please buddy, get him out” they cry 😢.

So we’re moving the leather.  Who knows if he’s the culprit?  This is Texas, he looks guilty, that’s plenty.  (Plus I heard it’s Japanese…)(I’m kidding obviously)

Hmmm, there’s that “aquarium” smell, and the mother pucker looks ROUGH.  Just realizing it’s between the return and the leather.  It’s likely been stressing for like 10 days while all this has been going on.  Everything else looks good all the other SPS, sandbed, parameters, lights are turned down… I can’t figure anything else…

The hyacinthus is a hairy beast.  It exploded when I started 2-4 drops of min s everyday.  Fuzziest acro I’ve ever had.

• Like 1

🤯🤯🤯 some of these SPS are literally ocean sized colonies.  Kinda makes TSA, WWC, my beloved Frag Garage ❤️🇨🇦, colonies all look kinda small?  These are absurdly gorgeous, might be NSFW

Listen to his resume, look at his *18* year old SPS/NPS reef, then listen to his advice.  Sprung is the GOAT, but this guy managed a 212,000 gallon public aquarium, spawns acropora, breeds cephalopods as part of a research project, is published and peer reviewed.

• PJPS changed the title to 🌲 Sticks & Stones 🪨

Full victim memorial soon, but the murderer is now with his own kind, looking super angry with the barely conditioned new digs.

Victims:

Grape Soda

Purple Haze

Mother Pucker

Red Dragon

The Blue Tort is in the ICU with all the flesh on one side (side that faced the leather) missing/barely hanging on.  I give them 30% odds of recovery.

Collateral damage:

Yellow tort - this one's for sure my fault, I moved an MP10 way too close and blew it's flesh off over 7 days.

It's dark days in the forest :(.

(if you’re curious, those are all from fraggarrage.ca, should you want to put a price tag on this tragedy.  Add the cost of a Studio 12, GFCI, etc, and you see the societal impact of violent crime)

The hyacinthus, as if flying the finger to the leather directly across the way in the other tank, is as bushy as I’ve ever seen it.  And the mille is peeking out ever so slightly 🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

• Wow 1

OK, all the remaining coral look happy, the mille is out a bit, the tort looks less rough...

Hopefully the carnage has stopped... changed GAC twice yesterday... water changes today... even the fish look more energetic!  I didn't notice any change before, but now they're all over the tank, playing in front of the MP10s.

Much faster turn around than anticipated *finger crossed*.  The leather looks very grumpy about his expulsion.  Very much sulking in the tank directly across  from it.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, ml86743 said:

This is good news!  Lets keep that momentum goin'

The plan is to go hat in hand to FragGarage and New Dawn Aquaculture, tell them the horror in short form, tell them my pitiful budget, and beg for acro mass.  Colour, don’t care, shape I care more but I’m pretty flexible at the moment 😂

• Like 1
  • PJPS changed the title to 🇨🇦🌲The Boreal Forest 🌲🇨🇦