SaltCritters.com

First Reef: IM Fusion 15 AIO vs 20 gallon long

crestier18

Hello all!

After many years of wanting a saltwater tank, I'm finally jumping in. I originally was going to do a standard Aqueon 20 gallon long but then I saw the IM 15 AIO for $100 and it seemed like a great deal. The tank will fit on my desk much better than the 20 long (takes up about half the space) and I like that the equipment can be hidden in the back. My ideal tank is a reef with an ocellaris clown pair, some sexy shrimp, and lots of soft and LPS coral, maybe some SPS down the line. Would all this be okay in a 15 gallon or would the 20 long be better? I'm worried about the coral being too cramped and stinging each other and 15 gallons being too small for a clown pair.

I appreciate any and all thoughts and responses:)

IM tank.

https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/Fusion-15-AIO-Cube-Aquarium-Desktop-p481890270

An AIO will definitely look nicer once equipment is in compared to an aqueon type tank with equipment, canister filters aren't used often in saltwater, so you'll have a harder time hiding stuff the way freshwater does, inline heater, glass pipes, etc. maybe that's an option though? I haven't attempted myself in SW, maybe someone can chime in. 

a 20 long does have almost double the AIO's footprint ( i assume you mean IM's 14gal AIO) so that's going to be more space for the corals!

If you are heavier on the soft/sps side and less on aggressive LPS side, you should see less aggression I'd imagine, minding good placement. 

If I was in your shoes I would decide what is more important to you stocking wise, and if equipment being out of view or footprint for corals is more valuable for you. Also mind that with more water volume in the larger tank, it will be a bit more stable in parameters. 

Thank you for the replies! I ended up ordering the 15 gallon AIO from IM (just slightly too late so now it’s back to preorder🙁). Next step is ordering lights (probably the Nicrew 30w) and a heater. I won’t be getting the tank until the third week of December while I’m on my honeymoon so setting up to start cycling will have to wait until after Christmas.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, sapling said:

good luck and enjoy your honeymoon haha, 

maybe we will see an aquarium journal from you once you are back, 

I'm hoping so!! Thank you!