Top Shelf Aquatics

Do Dottybacks usually host coral??

tviquez10

My Dottyback all of a sudden decided to live in my massive Pipe Organ coral. He has also started fighting with my Coral Beauty and they are tearing each other up. I'm assuming maybe both have reached maturity and are becoming aggressive because of it. They're in a 20g long with my 10 year old Ocellaris Clownfish. I'm not sure what to do. I have a stock light on the tank with a moonlight (blue) setting that I've been keeping on and it seems to help calm them and they don't fight as much. I feel like if I moved the rocks around, they would just start back fighting again once they picked their territory again. PXL_20221121_020911178.thumb.jpg.7855c40356b731a56d3853b437a87856.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

You might have better luck in a much larger tank.  A 75 gallon tank would be great, but even a 40 gallon breeder might be big enough.

Unfortunately I am unable to have anymore tanks right now. I have a 40g cube but I'm definitely not putting the Dottyback in that one. Poor choice in fish on my part 😞I'm hoping they will chill out soon!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, tviquez10 said:

Unfortunately I am unable to have anymore tanks right now. I have a 40g cube but I'm definitely not putting the Dottyback in that one. Poor choice in fish on my part 😞I'm hoping they will chill out soon!

The issue isn’t so much the dottyback as the coral beauty. It really needs to be in a larger tank …….although I’m sure you know that and don’t necessarily want to hear that. But I get it…….They are very pretty fish. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The issue isn’t so much the dottyback as the coral beauty. It really needs to be in a larger tank …….although I’m sure you know that and don’t necessarily want to hear that. But I get it…….They are very pretty fish. 

It's actually the Dotty instigating it, surprisingly. I should've just stuck with having my clown in it.lol If they ultimately kill each other, I'll just have my old lady clownfish in there😆

• Agree 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, tviquez10 said:

😆

I don't know how to delete that quote above but wanted to post an update!

The Dottyback and Coral Beauty have stopped fighting. The Beauty's fins are healed now. I have no idea why they decided to fight so badly and now all is fine. Fish keeping is weird lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tired said:

Cute photo, at least. I'd wager that's less "hosting" and more "hiding in", which is a separate behavior, though it is almost as cute.

It was a really odd behavior but very cute, I agree. He swims in and out of it all day😆