Cultivated Reef

Why is rock so expensive?

drgibby

Been slowly acquiring all my things i need to start my cycle.  Was looking to get dry rock to do it.  Looking around its 3 dollars a pound or 6 dollars if i wanted to buy shelves.  Where does everyone get there dry rock at?  I know this hobby isn't cheap but i hate buying things where you dont know exactly what size shape your getting  especially when its what decides how your tank is going to look

Shipping rock can be expensive (that's part of the cost).  Then there is inflation, diesel costs, supply chain, collection restrictions, demand, etc.  Reef Cleaners was my favorite vendor, but they don't sell rock anymore.  TBH, I'm not sure what's the go to dry rock supplier right now.

Here's some rock for $1.50 per lb (when you buy 40 lbs) and "free" shipping:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/caribsea-south-seas-base-rock-40-lbs-3027575

• Like 4
4 hours ago, sapling said:

you would have the ability to hand pick the shapes your looking for.

That can be a big plus.

However, when ordering online, sometimes we purchase more rock than we need and just pick the best ones.  Or work out the rockscape with the shapes you have and not use the rest.  You can save this extra rock for later, add it to another tank, trade it at a reef club for a coral frag, sell it to your local fish store for store credit...

Also, consider purchasing some live rock in addition to the dry rock, to seed a little life in the tank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
12 hours ago, seabass said:

Shipping rock can be expensive (that's part of the cost).  Then there is inflation, diesel costs, supply chain, collection restrictions, demand, etc.  Reef Cleaners was my favorite vendor, but they don't sell rock anymore.  TBH, I'm not sure what's the go to dry rock supplier right now.

Here's some rock for $1.50 per lb (when you buy 40 lbs) and "free" shipping:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/caribsea-south-seas-base-rock-40-lbs-3027575

Just weigh it and make sure it is close when you get it... because Petco has been known to not be even close. They should be good about refunding or sending more though. 

I still don't understand how anyone starts a reef without being able to pick out their LIVE rock piece by piece.   That's still the way to go when possible, there's no real comparison.  anything from shipped-in-water live rock "with everything on it" to cleaned "boat rock" can make a great choice.

But if you want bio-media instead of live rock, then that petco link is SO CHEAP.  Can't believe that includes shipping.  

If cost if everything and the reef aspect of the tank is kinda secondary to you, then that's probably gotta be your price.  😆

If there's any chance of saving money so that cost isn't such a consideration on how your reef starts, it's only about another $100 on top of the cost of that dead rock to get a full 10 Gallon "The Package" from Tampa Bay Saltwater.....still more than enough for the tank I think you're putting this in.   And just one option...there are other online live rock vendors.

Save up for some live rock!   🙂 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Check your LFS.  Most carry live or dry rocks.  I hand picked my dry rocks....then smashed them all up anyways to build my aquacape =P.

my experience is it is sometimes hard to find a good looking rock shapes out of the gate, especially with a certain aquascape in mind, making it look good reassembling the rubble is the smart move! also worth noting you can get some extra use from the leftover rubble for frags or for adding to a filter sooner or later, 

5 hours ago, sapling said:

my experience is it is sometimes hard to find a good looking rock shapes out of the gate, especially with a certain aquascape in mind, making it look good reassembling the rubble is the smart move! also worth noting you can get some extra use from the leftover rubble for frags or for adding to a filter sooner or later, 

Yup I am still using the rubles now and making little zoa gardens.

• Like 1