Innovative Marine Aquariums

Green Star polyp

Star polyp

Hi guys!! Ok I have a green star that is about 3x3 on a rock.  It was fine after the store and 2 weeks later I did a water change and now closed and not looking good, My PH and Alk,nitrates etc are near bang on , it is in a 14 gallon tank and I had it nearer to the top with blue/white light medium flow.  Ideas?

Thanx

Brenda

Actual numbers on nitrates and phosphates? 

How long has it been closed? 

What kind of light is it? 

Did you use RODI water in the water change, mixed to a proper salinity with your usual salt? 

Those questions are all important, but, honestly, GSP does this sometimes. It may be preparing to grow, or it might just be annoyed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't have the numbers on me ( at work) but I will look into the growth preparation as I did not know that was a sign.

Thank you for your help

Brenda

Tired mentioned phosphate and nitrate, because these are critical nutrients that all photosynthetic life depends on.  GSP seems especially affected by low nutrient levels.

We see so many people post that their parameters are perfect, when in fact, their tank's nutrient levels might be starving their corals.  Plus, a number of commonly referenced parameter charts don't reflect the need for these nutrients.

• Agree 2

In my old tank I had GSP and it took off like crazy.  In my new tank, it would kinda open and it really didn't grow.  I found out my nitrates and phosphates were 0.  I didn't think it mattered and kept plugging away while my coral melted and didn't grow.  Now that they are up, everything is growing great.

this is the difference in just one month after my nutrients were up; the last picture was 3 months later.

GSP 2.28.21.JPG

GSP 3.25.21.JPG

GSP 5.24.21 Front.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

may want to closely inspect your GSP for nudibranchs, I remember having that problem a long time ago when I first got one from a store, it looked fine at first until I noticed it not extending and receding, looked closely and saw them. I believe multiple coral dipping resolved it for me over time,

• 2 weeks later...

The same: possibly lack of nitrates and phosphates, and after this is done, add some dissolved organics like amino acids for reef use. Some kind of a dip for hitchhikers and parasites, from freshwater to peroxide or more strong solutions. It can close for a day or two if it is in contact with something, in my case with macroalgae.

TheCoffeeReef

I've been working on my GSP nano, and it's really started to take off lately, some of this I think is feeding the Red Sea AB+ with Reefroids and maintenaning the overall quality of water. 

Mine did and do close up shop from time to time, and it definitely corresponds to growth bursts and large water changes. 

GSP will close down for up to weeks at a time either before or just after growth spurts. 

I have a lot in my take and there is always one colony closed down at any one time... The bigger chunk on my weir has only opened up after almost a month of closure. 

But yeah it enjoys a bit of N and P! I shoot for around 0.08 - 0.10ppm P and 5 - 10ppm N. 

25 minutes ago, Murphs_Reef said:

But yeah it enjoys a bit of N and P! I shoot for around 0.8 - 1ppm P

I imagine that would be alright, but it seems like a lot of phosphate.  Are you sure that you didn't mean 0.08 to 0.10 ppm?