Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tips for reducing salt collecting on the rim

BubbleTrouble

Just now, BubbleTrouble said:

Hello!!

My fluval 13.5 collects salt along the rim, no matter how full I fill it. I assume it is from the condensation collecting it there but it can be messy. Any tips to reduce this?

Salt doesn't transfer in condensation. It is the reason why we need unsalted water for top off. Eliminate all splashing and there should be a dramatic decrease in salt creep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
BubbleTrouble
6 hours ago, patback said:

Salt doesn't transfer in condensation. It is the reason why we need unsalted water for top off. Eliminate all splashing and there should be a dramatic decrease in salt creep. 

Okay beautiful! That I can do

• Like 1

Even without splashing, any powerheads that are creating turbulence at the surface of the water at the edges of the tank are going to lead to salt collection right above the waterline. The high water mark is going to have a thin film of water constantly evaporating and leaving behind minuscule amounts of salt. In higher flow tanks, it's simply not possible to eliminate. Just wipe it down with a paper towel if it builds up too much or hit it with your magnetic scraper as part of cleaning the glass.

It'd take months of buildup to have enough salt to measurably change your salinity, so just knocking it back into the water isn't going to hurt anything - it'll re-dissolve.