inTank Media Baskets

Help identify this coral please

Rex113

I bought a feather duster yesterday and the rock it was attached to was included. I’m thinking it’s some sort of brain coral?. The center area has small grass like tentacles on it. 

ED1ADF7D-7B9F-46F4-A981-06029C49EBBA.png

Looks like some kind of favia. Lps hard coral. They need more light than shrooms and leathers. I'm not sure what li d of lights you have or where it's at in the tank. The green center appears to be dead skeleton with algae. If your paramiters are good and you have a hungry cuc the algae may resolve on its it's own. You can feed the lps coral a few times a week they usualy put out feeders a bit after lights out. Very Small pellet food or something like reef chilli or reef roids it would eat.

• Like 1

Thanks Lazy Fish, I think your right it looks like Favia except the green part is not algae it’s little green tentacles growing from the favia. I looked with a magnifying glass 👍 

It does look like algae, but if you zoom in you will notice a circular pattern and each green hair is exactly the same length. I will try and take a clearer picture tomorrow 👍 

Filamentous algae can look really odd. No worries, and nice find! The coral should grow over the top of that skeleton eventually, treating it like a rock to grow on. 

• Like 1