Coral Vue Hydros

Acrylic Tank Question

Blind Tree Frog

Blind Tree Frog

Stupid question that's been bugging me, but what are the correct ways of curving acrylic, either for a bow front style tank or curved corners?

I know it's just proper application of heat and a mold to form over, but I figured I'd see if anyone has any more detailed information as i search for it.

The correct way is using a thermoforming oven and a mold. There are many ways to actually do it, but that is the correct way. For bent corners you just need a strip heater. I made one a few weeks ago and it isn't too hard, you just need to make sure the bends are perfectly straight and perpendicular or nothing will remain square.

bent_tank.jpg

bent_tank2.jpg

bent_tank3.jpg

bent_tank4.jpg

Just keep in mind that acrylic is extremely flammable. I have had sheet catch on fire in my laser before, so using a torch is dangerous. I don't recommend it, but do so at your own risk.

You can build your own strip heater for about $50 too. Get this heating element and make your own enclosure for it frmo MDF. That is what I did and it works perfectly. I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Archived