inTank Media Baskets

IM 25 Gallon Lagoon Pro "Skunk Works SPS"

Fish out of Water

On 12/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, Fish out of Water said:

I am favoring a kalkwasser dosing system with a pH monitor.

If you hadn't considered it, Kalk + vinegar is a better option than plain kalk in most cases.  

The combination with vinegar eliminates all of the potential gotchas of kalk....such as accidentally spiking your pH.  This is the best guide for it, though others are out there and worth reading too:  http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html.  At the very least kalk+vinegar allows you to avoid the need (and expense) for a controller.

There are also commercial single-part dosing options that are better (less gotchas), such as Salifert's and Tropic Marin's products.   All for Reef is my least favorite of these since it works differently.  Bio-calcium is the oldest, most tried-and-true of these options that I know of.  It's basically two part in one jar that you can dose dry.  Very cool!

2-part is the easiest, all things considered.   Not sure what you're using now, but ESV is probably the best 2-part option since it's fully integrated and balanced.  

DIY 2-part is the cheapest option (by miles) if you're dosing large volumes or otherwise trying to dose on the cheap!

BTW, have you ever dosed a tank manually?  Not for everyone, but I successfully did that on my system for quite a while when I started out.  I think I peaked out dosing about a cup and a half of Recipe 2 per day into a 100 gallon system.  Grew tankfuls of SPS that way before I added a doser to the system.  Very simple, and you learn A LOT (but maybe not what you'd think) from doing something like this manually.  Again, not for everyone tho.  Just a thought!  🙂 

On 12/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, Fish out of Water said:

The Reefkeeper seems very capable and will give me controller options for other equipment later on down the road. 

Major bummer that Digital Aquatics is gone.  RK was the best controller option IMO.  I still have an RKL in parts around here, but the iTemp doesn't work....which killed my main (current) use for it as a temperature controller.

Does your RK take a standard pH probe connector? I can't remember – hopefully so!

• Agree 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Fish out of Water
On 1/13/2023 at 4:53 PM, mcarroll said:

If you hadn't considered it, Kalk + vinegar is a better option than plain kalk in most cases.  

The combination with vinegar eliminates all of the potential gotchas of kalk....such as accidentally spiking your pH.  This is the best guide for it, though others are out there and worth reading too:  http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html.  At the very least kalk+vinegar allows you to avoid the need (and expense) for a controller.

There are also commercial single-part dosing options that are better (less gotchas), such as Salifert's and Tropic Marin's products.   All for Reef is my least favorite of these since it works differently.  Bio-calcium is the oldest, most tried-and-true of these options that I know of.  It's basically two part in one jar that you can dose dry.  Very cool!

2-part is the easiest, all things considered.   Not sure what you're using now, but ESV is probably the best 2-part option since it's fully integrated and balanced.  

DIY 2-part is the cheapest option (by miles) if you're dosing large volumes or otherwise trying to dose on the cheap!

BTW, have you ever dosed a tank manually?  Not for everyone, but I successfully did that on my system for quite a while when I started out.  I think I peaked out dosing about a cup and a half of Recipe 2 per day into a 100 gallon system.  Grew tankfuls of SPS that way before I added a doser to the system.  Very simple, and you learn A LOT (but maybe not what you'd think) from doing something like this manually.  Again, not for everyone tho.  Just a thought!  🙂 

Major bummer that Digital Aquatics is gone.  RK was the best controller option IMO.  I still have an RKL in parts around here, but the iTemp doesn't work....which killed my main (current) use for it as a temperature controller.

Does your RK take a standard pH probe connector? I can't remember – hopefully so!

Finally getting back to normal after the holidays. Currently, I am using Red Sea Foundation (liquid) for dosing supplements. It is maintaining a decent balance and will continue this until there is a decent demand from the systems livestock.

I am also fighting a bit of GHA that developed over my holiday vacation. A bit of an ugly phase, but I am generally a patient reefer and will work through this issue. It is definitely subsiding and my parameters are consistent. I stepped up to weekly water changes/ maintenance until the algae is gone. I also added a few more snails to aid in the process. They are doing great work and I am relieved to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I paired my male Orange skunk clownfish and they are doing very well and are nearly inseparable.

My RK does have a pH probe connection on it, I just need to purchase a new probe. I have never used All in Reef on any of my tanks and I would hesitate to try something I am unfamiliar with for dosing. I am still on the fence on what product I plan to use for dosing in the long run, but I appreciate your well thought out response. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Fish out of Water said:

I have never used All in Reef on any of my tanks and I would hesitate to try something I am unfamiliar with for dosing. I am still on the fence on what product I plan to use for dosing in the long run, but I appreciate your well thought out response. 

bulk reef supply has a really good video on each dosing type and who they are for and not for.

They cover (kalk in ATO/reactor, AFR, 2part, CaRx, and kal slurry). That being said I did not like AFR's delay in having an impact on the alk/ca versus many of the other methods having a relatively quick impact on parameters.

• Like 1
Fish out of Water

I moved a few corals and rock from my other aquarium into this set up. Including: 6 Rock Flower Anemones, Button Scolymia, Leptastrea, Leptoseris, Cyphastrea, Hammer Coral, Hawaiian Punch Palathoa, and a couple random Ricordea and a Green rimmed Discsoma Mushroom.

I am happy to see some color in my aquarium finally. I will break out my nice camera next week, once everything settles in for some macro shots. For now, phone pics are going to have to do. I am still battling a few spots of GHA, but it seems to be receding. The scape of my tank changed quite a bit with the additions, but the fish seem to like it and so far I am pretty pleased with my result. Water parameters have been pretty stable and I am dialed in on my 2 part dosage currently. It seems the easiest and most economical way to go until I see a lot more demand from the corals. 

My Gramma linkii basslet also made the move. I haven't noticed any issues from the clowns or blenny. The basslet has always been somewhat shy too. So, time will tell. 

Looking forward to acquiring some nice SPS in the future. I feel I have more work ahead, but I am moving in the right direction. 

20230205_192100.jpg

20230205_192128.jpg

• Like 2
Fish out of Water

On Wednesday, while I was doing some maintenance. I have noticed a couple of small Aptasia on the rock with my RFA's on it. I inspected the other few rocks that I had moved over from my other aquarium and found a few more  there too. Good news is; they are small, bad news is; there is more than one, and now I have a new problem. I am surprised I did not see them on the rock prior to moving and disappointed I basically, introduced Aptasia to this new system. 

I went ahead and ordered some Berghia nudibranchs. I figured, I might as well get some joy knowing these Aptasia will get eaten by the Berghia. I had never purchased Berghia before, so I wanted to give this "Mythical Unicorn" a try. It also keeps me from having to use a chemical to remove the Aptasia from my aquarium. 

I bought 4 Berghia and they arrived Friday each one about a half inch. They are apparently colonial and hunt in packs. Being tiny and nocturnal, I do not expect to see or find them very often. Shortly after acclimation and introduction, they have quickly disappeared into the rockwork. I did take a pic right after I placed them with lights on full. I hope they will do a good job at eliminating the Aptasia. I will update on their results.

I am hopeful I can recover a few once they have completed eating the Aptasia to move them into my other aquarium for a second job, but I think that maybe easier on paper, then it is in reality. 

20230211_134755.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/13/2023 at 4:53 PM, mcarroll said:

Pretty much agree with all this.   I went AFR because dosing powder seemed inconvenient, and the free mag seemed like it'd let me save money dosing mag compared to carbo-calcium (essentially AFR sans mag).  If I wasn't disabled with twitch hands, making dosing powder a nightmare, I'd start there, it's the most predictable of the new-part systems.  Although bio-calcium is old as far as I can remember.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fish out of Water said:

On Wednesday, while I was doing some maintenance. I have noticed a couple of small Aptasia on the rock with my RFA's on it. I inspected the other few rocks that I had moved over from my other aquarium and found a few more  there too. Good news is; they are small, bad news is; there is more than one, and now I have a new problem. I am surprised I did not see them on the rock prior to moving and disappointed I basically, introduced Aptasia to this new system. 

I went ahead and ordered some Berghia nudibranchs. I figured, I might as well get some joy knowing these Aptasia will get eaten by the Berghia. I had never purchased Berghia before, so I wanted to give this "Mythical Unicorn" a try. It also keeps me from having to use a chemical to remove the Aptasia from my aquarium. 

I bought 4 Berghia and they arrived Friday each one about a half inch. They are apparently colonial and hunt in packs. Being tiny and nocturnal, I do not expect to see or find them very often. Shortly after acclimation and introduction, they have quickly disappeared into the rockwork. I did take a pic right after I placed them with lights on full. I hope they will do a good job at eliminating the Aptasia. I will update on their results.

I am hopeful I can recover a few once they have completed eating the Aptasia to move them into my other aquarium for a second job, but I think that maybe easier on paper, then it is in reality. 

20230211_134755.jpg

I've had nonstop success with peppermint shrimp (specifically wurdemanni complex) if you give them their hunting environment.  They are nocturnal, so we start there.  They can barely handle moderate flow, so minimal flow for 2-3 hours over night. They're better in groups, keep 2 minimum.  I haven't seen an aiptasia last longer than 48h since adopting this strategy.  (9 months or so)

Now, my pistol shrimp took out one of my 2 peps when it got too nosy in the pistol/goby cave.  Everywhere I can shop is sold out of peps, so we'l see how a single does for a bit.

Fish out of Water

Cleaned the glass today and got a few pics. I need to buy a filter lens for my phone. Better yet, take real photos with my better camera. Macro shots would look so much more detailed. 

I have not seen any of the Berghia since they arrived. Even looking for them at dusk and dark. Instead, I will take note of where I know the Aptasia are on the rock. Then observe, if there is any reduction happening over time.

I bought an encrusting Montipora. Top Shelf Aquatics calls it; Sugar High. It reminds me of a Sunset monti, but with a pink growth rim. Montipora is a good a way to wade into SPS corals and I have done well with them in the past. 

I plan on getting a few more LPS and Montipora. Eventually, I want to get an Acropora or two. Only after, I see some long term stability in the aquarium and some growth on the Monti. 

20230215_192623.jpg

20230215_192128.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Fish out of Water said:

Cleaned the glass today and got a few pics. I need to buy a filter lens for my phone. Better yet, take real photos with my better camera. Macro shots would look so much better. 

I have not seen any of the Berghia since they arrived. Even looking for them at dusk and dark. Instead, I will take note of where I know the Aptasia are on the rock. Then observe, if there is any reduction happening over time.

I bought an encrusting Montipora. Top Shelf Aquatics calls it; Sugar High. It reminds me of a Sunset monti, but with a pink growth rim. Montipora is a good a way to wade into SPS corals and I have done well with them in the past. 

I plan on getting a few more LPS and Montipora. Eventually, I want to get an Acropora or two. Only after, I see some long term stability in the aquarium and some growth on the Monti. 

20230215_192623.jpg

20230215_192128.jpg

I just want to echo all of that.  To anyone dabbling in SPS in a nano -

Particularly the montis, sacrifice a couple of cheapies if need be, but a digitata will survive some abuse.  Digis make excellent SPS mine canaries.  If they’re OK, grab a setosa, heck explore montipora.  You might lose a couple early on, so stay thrifty until they’re taking flight.

that cyphastrea is “fluffin” as we say at my place, gorgeous!

• Like 1
Fish out of Water

Next Monti on my list is a grafted Montipora cap (green/orange). I have always admired this coral, and yet never had one. I also like the look of the Jedi Mind trick. It looks like another encrusting type. 

When I decide it is time to get into Acros. I think I need to consider adding even more flow to my set up. That could mean switching over to an mp10 and working through it being on the tank with my little one. Or some other type of wave pump to provide random circulation. I am curious what others are using with success with SPS in nano set ups.

• Agree 1
8 minutes ago, Fish out of Water said:

Next Monti on my list is a grafted Montipora cap (green/orange). I have always admired this coral, and yet never had one. I also like the look of the Jedi Mind trick. It looks like another encrusting type. 

When I decide it is time to get into Acros. I think I need to consider adding even more flow to my set up. That could mean switching over to an mp10 and working through it being on the tank with my little one. Or some other type of wave pump to provide random circulation. I am curious what others are using with success with SPS in nano set ups.

2 MP10s is A LOT.  I’m forever trying to find a sweet spot.  2 nero 3s would be cheaper and effectively the same.  2 small jebaos, the same.  Think more pumps less power.  I’d have 4-6 MP2s if they existed.

The grafted cap and JMT aren’t THE easiest montis, but your shit looks well past struggling with either.  Pounce when things line up, you’re beyond ready for those.  A hardy acro like an aquaculture bonsai, isn’t going to struggle if your montis are happy.

The thing to remember is that acros crawl compared to montis.  Montipora will fill out a tank fast.  You’ll buy a lot of acropora filling out a tank.

Hope that’s helpful 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thanks 1
Fish out of Water
3 hours ago, PJPS said:

2 MP10s is A LOT.  I’m forever trying to find a sweet spot.  2 nero 3s would be cheaper and effectively the same.  2 small jebaos, the same.  Think more pumps less power.  I’d have 4-6 MP2s if they existed.

The grafted cap and JMT aren’t THE easiest montis, but your shit looks well past struggling with either.  Pounce when things line up, you’re beyond ready for those.  A hardy acro like an aquaculture bonsai, isn’t going to struggle if your montis are happy.

That sweet spot is a tough place to find. I miss having a mp10, I feel the corals moved closer to their wild counterparts. Might get one and keep my current setup running too. 

I agreed on a hardy species would be most likely fine. I know me though and if it's not a challenge, are we really even trying? I probably will go for some crazy acro and regret having to fine tune everything, just for it.

I appreciate your advice and comments. We seem to be headed for similar goals with our systems. There are not many reef keepers in my parts, so it is good to hear opinion. Thanks!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Fish out of Water said:

That sweet spot is a tough place to find. I miss having a mp10, I feel the corals moved closer to their wild counterparts. Might get one and keep my current setup running too. 

I agreed on a hardy species would be most likely fine. I know me though and if it's not a challenge, are we really even trying? I probably will go for some crazy acro and regret having to fine tune everything, just for it.

I appreciate your advice and comments. We seem to be headed for similar goals with our systems. There are not many reef keepers in my parts, so it is good to hear opinion. Thanks!

That 2nd para… you understand the disease 😂✊🏻

I’m homebound, so my reefing community is 100% my SO and online.  🍻🇨🇦

Fish out of Water

I spotted 2 of the Berghia. It was early morning and I found them using a flashlight. I have noticed the Aptasia are decreasing, especially in that particular area. Not the best pics, but proof it happened. 

20230218_195905.jpg

20230218_195750.jpg

Remember to pass them around with your buddies/local club if that’s an option.  They literally only eat aiptasia, so they’ll just expire in your tank.  So you may as well pass them around if possible.  They’re near impossible to collect with the light on, so it quickly becomes a juice vs squeeze thing 🤷🏻‍♂️

They’re a guaranteed aiptasia destroyer though.  I have a consistent quality peppermint shrimp vendor and no fleshy LPS, so I skip the $pendy slugs.  But I know aiptasia can drive anyone to madness, so no judgements here ✊🏻.

But if anyone’s curious, wurdemanni complex is the pep you’re after (or keukenthal’s if you can findem), and this is KEY, 2-3h of low flow in the earlyish morning.  darkness and low flow are key.

• Like 1
Fish out of Water

Pretty stoked! I placed an order with WWC that is due in this Wednesday. I picked up 3 Monti and a couple LPS. I was waiting for WWC to list their grafted Monti again to go ahead with my order. I wanted corals with lineage for this set up. Dealing directly with that vendor seems to be the easiest way to go about these orders. I have been pretty happy with my water parameters lately, so the timing just seemed to be lined up.

I plan to use only a few sources for coral, I want to limit the opportunity for any pest to gain access hitchhiking into the aquarium. Limiting the source locations cannot stop everything, but it can narrow the path. I still dip and observe each and every coral, but I also have a better peace of mind knowing that the corals are aquacultured by such reputable companies. This, of course, comes with an increased cost to me. Quality> Quantity? Screenshot_20230218-215321_Chrome.thumb.jpg.628015a6b327b207eecdb285792ceb31.jpg

• Like 2
  • Fish out of Water changed the title to IM 25 Gallon Lagoon Pro "Skunk Works SPS"
Fish out of Water

I changed the name of my build to Skunk Works SPS as a nod to Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works. Skunk Works is the advanced research and development branch of Lockheed, that has built some amazing aircraft with unreal capabilities over many decades. 

My Skunk Clown pair are the main focus of my aquarium. I blame it all on a dive trip in Australia, but I wanted to keep this species one day. It was only right to give them the spotlight in the name. 

Tomorrow, I have an order coming in and I wanted to get a FTS prior to that for progression. GHA and Aptasia are still present, but definitely seeing improvement. Snails and Slugs for the win! 

NOST197775_TYDikBBHfqiG4IQT.jpg

20230221_182604.jpg

• Like 3
Fish out of Water

I am beginning to notice growth on my Montipora's. Their colors look good too. It is also notable in my water parameter testing. The steady chugging through both, calcium and magnesium. It is indicative of consumption by the system, and at a rate that is increasing with each testing cycle.

I expect to see this trend continue as some of the new corals settle into the aquarium. My dosing log has been getting a lot of work with these adjustments. Chasing stability (not a number) appears to be the best course for the time being. 

I am still slowly increasing my lighting intensity. I had lowered it during my GHA/ugly phase. That issue is nearly resolved now, so returning to my ideal settings for the lighting schedule. 

The Skunk's are just doing 'skunky' things. Very personable fish, they would swim into the feeding cup, if I placed it any lower while feeding. They both seem very interested when my child is within eye shot of the aquarium. Curious as to, why they are so fascinated? It is fun to watch. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fish out of Water

Lately, I have been dealing with a cyano bloom. I suspect Phosphate levels rose enough to start this process  All of the other parameters are in line and stable currently. I have reduced lighting intensity and increased flow. I added apocyclops pods and currently feeding phytoplankton. I am going back to using Chemi pure Elite, rather than the Chemi pure Blue I was recently trying out. I need the GFO to address my PO4 a little. I have been performing frequent small water changes, that are aimed solely at cyano removal. The cyano has primarily been on the sand, but I didn't want to wait and see if it would climb on the rock eventually. Seeing improvement, but have red slime remover on stand by. 

Corals, Fishes, and Inverts all seem unphased by any of this. Colorful, healthy and hungry. Like they could careless. I am trying the non chemical approach because I see no reason for urgency at the moment. It's ugly, but manageable and pretty much a rite of passage for the aquarium.

As my father use to say, "It will stop hurting, when the pain goes away."