Innovative Marine Aquariums

IM 25 Gallon Lagoon Pro "Skunk Works SPS"

Fish out of Water

Fish out of Water

I am starting this journal for my Innovative Marine 25 Gallon Lagoon Pro. I did not buy this new. In fact, I did not pay anything for it. I received it from a friend who wants to travel more. When I picked it up it was being ran as a FOWLR with a few inverts. The glass was heavy covered with coraline algae. I knew there would be a little work to get it looking like new again. A couple hours of vinegar in a spray bottle and a scraper and I could see some progress and potential. I removed the old sand and spent some time meticulously cleaning up the back chambers of this All In One. I did keep the liverock, it consisted of about a dozen smaller pieces. I used some Nyos reef cement to bond some of these pieces of liverock together into a small three branched structure. I added a Tunze magnetic frag rock holder to the back glass. I figured the rock holder would blend in better then traditional frag racks. My substrate is a mix of Carib Sea special reef and a small amount of Carib Sea Hawaiian black sand. The aquarium is filled and currently cycling. I plan to list equipment and livestock acquisitions in future posts. 

20221031_151844.jpg

20221008_153616.jpg

20221008_162328.jpg

20221008_153555.jpg

178060728_logo_sm.jpg.b74e78193501f34e62e1839efa71a080(1).jpg.ee66b2ec81515d2b9ff955d04f8bc7e9.jpg

• Like 5
Fish out of Water
On 11/6/2022 at 12:25 AM, kimdawg said:

Thats a great clean up job.  Good luck with the contest they are always so much fun.

Thank you. I find the contest convenient for keeping me on a timeline and moving forward. 

• Like 1
Fish out of Water
20 hours ago, sleepyreefer55 said:

Wow, such a difference and sounds like you're off to a great start. Clearly you have more time and enthusiasm than your buddy, just as your tank deserves 

I thought the same thing. It cleaned up pretty well. I am looking forward to introducing some of the first livestock near the end of the month.

Fish out of Water
On 11/8/2022 at 4:41 PM, tidepooldreamer said:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! I love the shape of the lagoon tanks, I have my eye on the 50 gal version when I upgrade.

I think I am going to go for a mix of LPS and SPS with this setup. I imagine it will still be some time before it is matured enough for SPS. I have a few LPS that I am planning on moving over from my other aquarium.

I do not have a LFS near where I live, so I am going to crack open the piggy bank on this build and order from one of the big boy vendors. I am thinking World Wide Corals or Jason Fox. 

The footprint of this aquarium worked well for the space I have for it. A 50 gallon IM tank would be sweet though. 

• Like 1
Fish out of Water
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looking good, nice job cleaning it up. Welcome and good luck in the contest.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I am new to the forum, not to reefkeeping. Nano tanks have always fascinated me, they are like playing with firecrackers with short fuses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Fish out of Water

I have an update on livestock acquisitions. All listed are in quarantine waiting for the cycle to complete.

I really want to focus on a robust CUC with a variety of invertebrates on this system. The way I see it, the more critters I can keep sustained on the payroll. The better off the system will be in the long term. I have a couple of fish that are also entering my quarantine period. This is in no way a complete list, but more a starting sketch. 

I picked up 1 red banded serpent star, 2 nassarius snails, 1 nirite snail, 4 blue legged hermit, 3 Mexican red legged hermit and 1 bumblebee snail. I plan to increase my nirite snail population by probably 5-10 more in the near future. I would also like to find a conch. 

As far as fish; I have a yellow cheeked basslet (Gramma linkii) pictured below. I have had this fish from 2 previous set ups and it is a very unique fish. 1 skunk clownfish. I am hoping to pair with another very soon. 1 starry blenny. I plan to also acquire a blue sided fairy wrasse when I am ready.

Overall, I am happy to see the aquariums inhabitants start to take shape. I am working towards a collection list on corals next.

3565_3079.jpg

• Like 1
Fish out of Water
On 11/14/2022 at 6:35 PM, Gsepanik said:

That basslet is super sweet. I also just set up a 25 lagoon and I absolutely love the dimensions. What lighting are you going with?

AI Hydra 26. My first AI fixture, I am more familiar with Kessil's. 

2 hours ago, Fish out of Water said:

AI Hydra 32. My first AI fixture, I am more familiar with Kessil's. 

I was thinking of going with the hydra myself. My wallet had other plans however lol 🤧. Will be following along!

Fish out of Water

I wanted to use Vortech mp 10's for additional flow within the aquarium. Unfortunately, having a curious 4 year old is preventing this from being a viable option. I fear the dry side motor of an mp 10 will be an easy target for this young explorer. For now, I will go with a pair of Hydor Koralia pumps on the Hydor Smart Wave. The alternating flow at a 1 minute interval, still achieves my overall water movement  goal. I still plan to upgrade once I can reason with my little one. Cycling is nearly complete and my anticipation is growing. 

Fish out of Water
55 minutes ago, Gsepanik said:

Do you have the mighty jet return pump? How do you like the smart wave? 

It is my back up pump. I have a Hydor Seltz D DC pump running now. It max's out at 500gph for a little more flow. The Smart Wave is OK, does the job. It isn't a true wavemaker, and I miss the random flow you get from a Vortech.

Very nice. I am only running my mighty jet on low. I have the water line as high as it will go with the overflow sliders, and if I turn the pump on any higher the water in the display will overflow. I have one sicce in the display but I think I may have to add another. Are you using the innovative marine water level adjusters? How high is your display water level?

Fish out of Water

I believe I am running wide open. I do not see a slider adjustment for either overflow. You have a pic? I did pick this tank up second hand, so I may have missed it in the parts. 

tidepooldreamer
25 minutes ago, Fish out of Water said:

I believe I am running wide open. I do not see a slider adjustment for either overflow. You have a pic? I did pick this tank up second hand, so I may have missed it in the parts. 

I think the overflow adjustment is in the newest IM models only; mine doesn't have it either.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
Fish out of Water

The original owner of the tank did not run a skimmer, so I had to find something that would work for my set up. I am going to run the Eshopps Nano Skimmer on this set up. It will fit into one of the back chambers. I hope it performs as well as the bigger models. Anyone familiar with this skimmer? 

Fish out of Water

I introduced the first inhabitants to the aquarium! The skunk clownfish and blenny are out of QT and are busy exploring and establishing their new home. The CUC will be acclimating later on today for introduction. I was able to get a quick pic of the skunk. The blenny was not going to entertain the thought of a photo session. Just, Nope. They both are feeding well and responsive to anyone walking close to the aquarium.

I am currently running the David Saxby lighting preset on my Hydra. After fighting with the download file and getting it uploaded to my app. I enjoy the color, changing variation and intensity of the lighting schedule. However, I may adjust or edit the duration of the light cycle to a shorter version. 

ATO is set up and running smoothly. I am considering setting up an auto dosing system for supplementation once I establish the aquariums needs.

Today is water quality testing. I am testing and logging parameters and supplements in the process of setting a data log with a updateable graph chart. To see the fluctuations in each parameter as the aquarium matures. 

20221127_071357.jpg

20221127_075010.jpg

• Like 1
Fish out of Water

I am going back and forth on how I plan to supplement this system. I am favoring a kalkwasser dosing system with a pH monitor. Considering, I want to focus on SPS/LPS, this would take care of both the CA/ KH demand in one shot. Magnesium and trace elements would still need to be added also. The downfall is; more equipment and cost. The upside is; a more consistent addition of supplementation and increased stability of both CA/ KH. 

My other option would be a two part system. Can be prone to human error or inconsistency, when compared with a controlled system. 

I don't  want to dose kalk through my ATO. I want a more monitored system for safety and stability. Any opinions would be helpful. I already have a monitoring system on hand (Reefkeeper), just need a new pH probe for it. Included in the cost would be in a dosing pump, a container and tubing. Not much really... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 4:04 PM, Fish out of Water said:

Any opinions would be helpful. I already have a monitoring system on hand (Reefkeeper), just need a new pH probe for it. Included in the cost would be in a dosing pump, a container and tubing. Not much really... 

Lol I just came to the same conclusion with my 25 lagoon! I was doing some reading and it seems like the best way to go for kalk is using a small dosing pump and starting at low concentrations and quantities of kalk and slowly ramping up. I think if I go that route I will probably go with a Milwaukee ph probe. How do you like the reefkeeper? Is it worth it?

On 12/4/2022 at 4:04 PM, Fish out of Water said:

My other option would be a two part system. Can be prone to human error or inconsistency, when compared with a controlled system. 

I am debating between kalk or all for reef. Have you considered running all for reef opposed to 2part?  

On 11/19/2022 at 3:07 PM, Fish out of Water said:

The original owner of the tank did not run a skimmer, so I had to find something that would work for my set up. I am going to run the Eshopps Nano Skimmer on this set up. It will fit into one of the back chambers. I hope it performs as well as the bigger models. Anyone familiar with this skimmer? 

I have never ran the eshopps. Did you end up pulling the trigger on it? If so how do you like it?

• 2 weeks later...
Fish out of Water
On 12/13/2022 at 2:25 AM, Gsepanik said:

Lol I just came to the same conclusion with my 25 lagoon! I was doing some reading and it seems like the best way to go for kalk is using a small dosing pump and starting at low concentrations and quantities of kalk and slowly ramping up. I think if I go that route I will probably go with a Milwaukee ph probe. How do you like the reefkeeper? Is it worth it?

I am debating between kalk or all for reef. Have you considered running all for reef opposed to 2part?  

I haven't had any experience with All in Reef. I have 2 part on hand for my other reef.

The Reefkeeper seems very capable and will give me controller options for other equipment later on down the road. 

I did get the Eshopps Skimmer and so far it is doing great for a nano skimmer. Fits well into the back chamber and it nearly silent. Curiously awaiting to see it perform with a larger bio load. 

I was traveling prior to the Holiday, so apologizes for the late response. 

• Fish out of Water changed the title to IM 25 Gallon Lagoon Pro "Skunk Works SPS"